• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Shadowrun 5th Edition] Neon and Glass

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
Vampires. He's talking about more vampires. Super Vampires. Only vampires? Super Banshees? Super Ghouls from Outer Space. Night of the Harvesters 2: Shredfest. Rage of the Wendigo....

Rabbit doesn't realize he's smiling. He doesn't have five minutes' worth of medical knowledge, but a lifetime of trids have suitably prepped him on the subject matter. "...so, just so we're clear, it's vampires." He looks around at the others, waiting to see if they've come to the same, obvious conclusion. "Wiz super vampires with none of the drek baggage, but-" He stops, replays the words. "Indistinguishable? Because some subjects are real noticeable. Like, if a fomóraig comes at you, it doesn't matter if the sun's on it or not. You should know."

He shakes his head and sighs. "It's the biggest loophole ever. Trids don't exist in trids. Nobody's ever seen The Corpse that Walks, so they don't just know to put a bullet in its head. I get it, the whole thing would end in an instant and there'd be no point. But actual people can't be that st-" Another pause. Most people are that stupid. "...you're smoking. A lot. Old, automatic habit? Some kind of emotional link to somebody that's dead? Do you actually breathe, or is it like a conscious sequence?" He's trying, hard. But an actual vampire. A vampire hunter, and legend, is standing in front of him. It's hard not to bombard De Vries with triple the number of questions.

Last edited:

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Belle honestly can't help but smile, glancing aside at Rabbit. "I'd smack you, but honestly, your enthusiasm is about the only thing keeping me from pissing myself right now. Y'know that old punk cliche about the corps suckin' the working class dry - the one that happens to be true, but nobody cares? Imagine that, but not a metaphor. Suppose Damien Knight needs a daily blood smoothie to live for another two-hundred years, who's gonna stop 'im?"

She cracks her knuckles. "So, any idea which Mega it's being sold off to, and which wants us to steal it? Doc, pull up a picture of our smiley Johnson, if y a would."

Meriss

Chaos Incarnate
Validated User
Doc Wilson

Vampires, why did it have to be vampires?

George shuts down the stream as Lodestar enters. "I don't think I was recording the meet. Hang on pretty sure ... our face did."

He pokes around the file drop for a few seconds. "Yup, here we go."

He sends the image to another AR window. "But that answers the whole spooky ass black site thing."

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lodestar tries not to show off how heavily she's breathing as she gets back. She's not out of shape, dammit, just not in extreme, augmented, physical 'runner shape, and she just sprinted to a garage that may as well have been in another zip code and back... for no good reason apparently, either. Normally, she wouldn't be so self-conscious of the smell of her own exertion and her overall waterlogged state, but compared to their opulent surroundings she feels like a gross swamp monster as she slumps into the couch next to Odette.

+I'm not going to be an idiot and ask if you're ok,+ she thinks to the razored swan, +I just... hope you're not hurting too badly.+

And with that, she turns her attention to DeVries.

"...hairy balls of the gods," she mutters as he talks about a new, so-much-worse HMHVV strain.

"Are you asking us for help to make sure it's eliminated rather than sold off?" she asks bluntly but openly. "I can't say I want that shit running around, either." The look on her face says she can't just leave it at that, though.

At minimum, her bosses would not be happy if she didn't come away with a better offer. But she gives him the chance to make it, first.

CherrySmiles

Malicious Sprite
Validated User
De Vries listens to everyone, taking in the questions and commentary with good grace, even smiling at the more colorful epithets. Rabbit's commentary even draws a short, sharp bark of laughter, and he investigates his cigarette with a critical eye. "Inhalation vectors are one of the few methods left open to one of my kind, and I, like many vampires, have a high resistance to pathogens and toxins. I do breathe, as do most vampires. We are not dead, per se, as is the common misconception. Depriving us of oxygen causes a coma-like state in which we are able to persist almost indefinitely."

Turning to Annabelle, De Vries says, "I am uncertain as to the final destination of the virus." He shrugs. "I had first thought it might be Ordo Maximus or even the Draco Foundation." He shakes his head. "But if it was the Draco Foundation, I suspect I would have been consulted, and while Ordo Maximus funded the original research, they and Dr. Oslo Wake parted ways long ago." He purses his lips. "If I were to hazard an educated guess, I would say either Horizon, as they are heavily into unusual biotech, or Ares or Spinrad, as they attempt to claw their way up the Big Ten."

De Vries nods his thanks to the Doc as the file comes through. He watches it in very compressed time, vampiric perception allowing him to take in the ten minute meeting in under ninety seconds. His brow furrows. "I have seen that man somewhere." He says thoughtfully. "I'm having trouble remembering where, however. I know he is a corporate agent, but our paths only crossed fifteen years ago, during another affair. He was...a mage, I think. A wagemage, but an unusually powerful one." He shakes his head again. "Damn. I will have to ask Short Eyes, my secretary." He grins. "Her memory is prodigious, and she likes to collect files on my enemies."

Turning next to Lodestar, he answers her, "No. Not exactly. I want it stolen, but I don't want it to make it to the buyer, either." He crosses his arms, the hand holding the cigarette on top so that he can still lift it and smoke even as he draws into himself. "Ms. Oshida was kind enough to let me use her home as a secure location when I contacted her this evening after finding out your destination. Her father and I used to work together and we're old friends." He taps ash into a tray on the side table nearest him, takes another draw, waves expansively at the room. "I want you to bring the virus here, so that I may assense it and take a sample for study so that an antigen may be created. Then it may be delivered to the buyer." He looks levelly at the team. "If it is destroyed, they will simply make another batch. If it is taken and not delivered, they will tear this city apart. Immortality is a considerable motivator. Simply getting rid of it would be treating symptoms. This way, we can treat, or at least prepare for, the disease."

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
Rabbit hears half of the conversations while the other part of his brain is busy churning out questions. Somewhere off to the side, it starts putting together statements connecting the other comments, and one of those gets kicked to the front of his mind. "Wait...they lied!" He realizes how that sounds before he's even finished saying it, and holds up a hand. "No, I know. Don't trust the mega shill. But big lied. This isn't some medtech marvel. This is legit Vampire 2.0. Totally bypassing the facts of what happens when this sort of thing eventually escapes and spreads- I've seen it a few times, it doesn't go well. Usually. And there's no way it'd go that way here. -is anybody else thinking we're maybe being a little underpaid for this job, now?"

"Think about it. Actual immortality without the flaws! How cool is that?! Antigen...antigen?" He glances from De Vries to Doc. "Like...a cure? Yeah, sure. Safety against the vamplauge. But the stuff itself. Knight? Pfft, maybe. Any of those suits running any given mega. They'd drain half their accounts for that. And the Johnson said there might be more. Wanted...one? Two? Definitely not three. You wouldn't just keep them there. No reason. Minimize the drek we're about to do. So they make it there? Maybe. So there's Patient Zero there? Maybe. Either way, source. Get the source, gen the fix...." Rabbit's beaming, his thoughts racing faster than his ability to voice them. "If it's on file, we can steal it. If it's, like, bio-hardcopy, we can take it. If it's a person..." He looks to De Vries. They can't just kidnap a person. "What if they've got a person in there they're tapping it from?" Decompiled sprite. "How much do you know about what's in there?"

PixieDust

Possible successor to Betancore's coat.
Validated User
MadCat watches and listens, though the chain smoking triggers his own craving and so he pulls out his own pack that he'd transferred to the fresh pants and lights one up as his mind mulls over the new information.

DeVries wanted a sample? Paranoia alarm bells went off in his head in a reflexive response, knowing that that sort of request usually went extremely badly, that typically that sort of thing happened when another corp wanted a piece of whatever was being developed so they could catch up in the race for new tech. But no, he had to remind himself, this was DeVries, the vampire hunter that, like the man himself said, has been trying to keep this sort of thing from becoming an epidemic. Of all the people in the sixth world, he was the only one the Irishman would even come close to trusting to do as he says he will.

"Wait...they lied!" He realizes how that sounds before he's even finished saying it, and holds up a hand. "No, I know. Don't trust the mega shill. But big lied. This isn't some medtech marvel. This is legit Vampire 2.0. Totally bypassing the facts of what happens when this sort of thing eventually escapes and spreads- I've seen it a few times, it doesn't go well. Usually. And there's no way it'd go that way here. -is anybody else thinking we're maybe being a little underpaid for this job, now?"
His attention moves to Rabbit with that outburst, and MadCat shakes his head slightly. "Dinnae lie. Not exactly, anyway. The J did mention somethin' about viral treatment an' the like, which, technically, this would be....just, with the side effect o' vampirism." He shakes his head again, "Not technically a lie, just...left out a rather large chunk o' information."

"If it's on file, we can steal it. If it's, like, bio-hardcopy, we can take it. If it's a person..." He looks to De Vries. They can't just kidnap a person. "What if they've got a person in there they're tapping it from?" Decompiled sprite. "How much do you know about what's in there?"
"With a coffin o' that size, I doubt it'd be digital. Ta be honest, my guess'd be it is in a carrier, a person, 'r at least somethin' that used ta be a person, anyway. So, really the only way ta know would be ta get inta the thing. Though," brows furrow in concern, his mind going back over the meet mere hours ago, "didn't the J say somethin' about us not openin' it? I doubt they'd leave it without some sorta alarm system 'r some other way of knowin' whether it's been tampered with. So we'd have ta be able ta put it back in place so they wouldn't know. If it's as dangerous as it's soundin', I don' think they'd be lettin' us live ta use the nuyen if they knew that we knew."

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Annabelle taps her fingers to her chin. "Now, I know less'n Rabbit here about how this drek works, but bein' as we've got two experts in the room and we're gonna be messin' with the samples anyway...Any chance you could introduce a Rare But Serious Side Effect to the brew - one that looks natural? Betcha they'd slow down a bit if they found that, ahem, Vampire 2.0 comes with a side of face-melting,"

Meriss

Chaos Incarnate
Validated User
Doc Wilson
Rabbit hears half of the conversations while the other part of his brain is busy churning out questions. Somewhere off to the side, it starts putting together statements connecting the other comments, and one of those gets kicked to the front of his mind. "Wait...they lied!" He realizes how that sounds before he's even finished saying it, and holds up a hand. "No, I know. Don't trust the mega shill. But big lied. This isn't some medtech marvel. This is legit Vampire 2.0. Totally bypassing the facts of what happens when this sort of thing eventually escapes and spreads- I've seen it a few times, it doesn't go well. Usually. And there's no way it'd go that way here. -is anybody else thinking we're maybe being a little underpaid for this job, now?"
"Kid, you get used to it. Runners are always underpaid."
"Think about it. Actual immortality without the flaws! How cool is that?! Antigen...antigen?" He glances from De Vries to Doc.
"Hate to say it kid treatment of the disease is always worth more money than curing it. Been that way since before my granddad was born."
"Like...a cure? Yeah, sure. Safety against the vamplauge. But the stuff itself. Knight? Pfft, maybe. Any of those suits running any given mega. They'd drain half their accounts for that. And the Johnson said there might be more. Wanted...one? Two? Definitely not three. You wouldn't just keep them there. No reason. Minimize the drek we're about to do. So they make it there? Maybe. So there's Patient Zero there? Maybe. Either way, source. Get the source, gen the fix...." Rabbit's beaming, his thoughts racing faster than his ability to voice them. "If it's on file, we can steal it. If it's, like, bio-hardcopy, we can take it. If it's a person..." He looks to De Vries. They can't just kidnap a person. "What if they've got a person in there they're tapping it from?" Decompiled sprite. "How much do you know about what's in there?"
George groans. He looks down at Odette. "Yeah we're not going to do a snatch. Johnson did say it was photoreactive. Means light sensitive. Ring any bells de Vries?"
His attention moves to Rabbit with that outburst, and MadCat shakes his head slightly. "Dinnae lie. Not exactly, anyway. The J did mention somethin' about viral treatment an' the like, which, technically, this would be....just, with the side effect o' vampirism." He shakes his head again, "Not technically a lie, just...left out a rather large chunk o' information."
"Which ruins Mister Johnson's rep later. We'll post his pic on the Trix and let it be known that he was a bad boy. Doesn't help us now."

"With a coffin o' that size, I doubt it'd be digital. Ta be honest, my guess'd be it is in a carrier, a person, 'r at least somethin' that used ta be a person, anyway. So, really the only way ta know would be ta get inta the thing. Though," brows furrow in concern, his mind going back over the meet mere hours ago, "didn't the J say somethin' about us not openin' it? I doubt they'd leave it without some sorta alarm system 'r some other way of knowin' whether it's been tampered with. So we'd have ta be able ta put it back in place so they wouldn't know. If it's as dangerous as it's soundin', I don' think they'd be lettin' us live ta use the nuyen if they knew that we knew."
"Hang on."

George checks the file drop again.

"You bloody genius! He got pictures of the pictures!"

George throws the images on yet another AR window.

"Kid you know how to do a photo reconstruction?"

Meriss

Chaos Incarnate
Validated User
Annabelle taps her fingers to her chin. "Now, I know less'n Rabbit here about how this drek works, but bein' as we've got two experts in the room and we're gonna be messin' with the samples anyway...Any chance you could introduce a Rare But Serious Side Effect to the brew - one that looks natural? Betcha they'd slow down a bit if they found that, ahem, Vampire 2.0 comes with a side of face-melting,"
"Virology is not exactly my specialty Smoke, but I'm awake for four days now so I can try and get updated. Yeah. I could do that. Is there a tamper alarm though? And there's probably a good chance they've got the box low jacked to hell and back."

Top Bottom