• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Shadowrun 5th Edition] Neon and Glass

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
His attention moves to Rabbit with that outburst, and MadCat shakes his head slightly. "Dinnae lie. Not exactly, anyway. The J did mention somethin' about viral treatment an' the like, which, technically, this would be....just, with the side effect o' vampirism." He shakes his head again, "Not technically a lie, just...left out a rather large chunk o' information."

"With a coffin o' that size, I doubt it'd be digital. Ta be honest, my guess'd be it is in a carrier, a person, 'r at least somethin' that used ta be a person, anyway. So, really the only way ta know would be ta get inta the thing. Though," brows furrow in concern, his mind going back over the meet mere hours ago, "didn't the J say somethin' about us not openin' it? I doubt they'd leave it without some sorta alarm system 'r some other way of knowin' whether it's been tampered with. So we'd have ta be able ta put it back in place so they wouldn't know. If it's as dangerous as it's soundin', I don' think they'd be lettin' us live ta use the nuyen if they knew that we knew."
"A lie by omission is still a lie. Call it an obfuscation of truth, then. Either way, he-they, tried to play us. As for the other part? Never doubt the digital. If this thing is reactive to light, and that wasn't just to keep us from taking a peek inside, doesn't it make sense to have a backup in case a naturally-occurring phenomenon like the passage of fragging time managed to pop up? I still think it's worth a shot. Besides, doesn't hurt to try covering all the bases, yeah?"

Annabelle taps her fingers to her chin. "Now, I know less'n Rabbit here about how this drek works, but bein' as we've got two experts in the room and we're gonna be messin' with the samples anyway...Any chance you could introduce a Rare But Serious Side Effect to the brew - one that looks natural? Betcha they'd slow down a bit if they found that, ahem, Vampire 2.0 comes with a side of face-melting,"
Rabbit balks at the very idea, standing up. "Wait wait wait. You want to brick it? I'm all for not unleashing power creep on a global scale, but that seems a little extreme. What if it's the only working set? We should at least figure out how to...I don't know...split it up, first? Hand off a bad copy, sure. But don't waste the whole thing."

Doc Wilson

"Kid, you get used to it. Runners are always underpaid."

"Hang on."

George checks the file drop again.

"You bloody genius! He got pictures of the pictures!"

George throws the images on yet another AR window.

"Kid you know how to do a photo reconstruction?"
"Nothing says we have to keep the streak alive. This is big. It should pay big. And a reconstruction? Pfft." He rolls his eyes. "I mean, sure, if you want me to put together a puzzle. I thought there might be...y'know...actual work involved."

Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lodestar listens. Calculates.

She's far from stupid, but she's uneducated in most of the viral and magical... stuff. What she does know, is that this request is making their job harder and a lot more dangerous, when both of those were already pegged up pretty high. Smuggling the goods right to the Johnson's dropoff would be one thing; sneaking a magical bioweapon/miracle cure off to Vashon fucking Island and back without anyone noticing the wrong sort of things afoot would be... just short of hilarious. She expected that Princess's word wouldn't shield them from the scrutiny of the private security of the other corporate ticks that swarmed on this island, and at least one of them was probably in the chain of command backing this run.

"We're taking on a lot of additional risk for this. I'm not going to be so crass as to demand nuyen to help keep the world from slipping into a gothic, bloody fever dream... And besides, having someone like you, who can dodge bullets and just stick their arm back on after getting it monowired off, owing me a solid sounds quite a bit more valuable." She pauses. "...but I can't say we'd mind some cash, either," she adds, looking around to the others who might not share that assessment.

Bard would have been so much smoother at this, she thinks with an inward wince.

Last edited:

Leanansidhe

Mab's Right Hand
Validated User
Like Lodestar, The Swan Princess listens. She listens for footfalls, movement, the little telltales that bespeak the location of everyone in the room, their orientation, how fast they can be brought to action, whether they would be in her path, whether she has clear lines.

She calculates. She calculates range, lead, probable angles of attack and defense. She calculates how far De Vries can move given his phenomenal speed, and how much of that distance she can rob from him, and whether it would be enough. She calculates whether she has enough of an advantage, or a sufficiently high chance of success at least, to be worth making her attack now.

This time, she errs on the side of caution. This time.

Instead, she sits in near-perfect stillness on the couch. Her head cocks inquisitively, like a bird of prey, and her left hand begins to drum a steady four-note tapping, her manicured fingernails clicking on the oiled leather. She says nothing, does nothing. She merely waits.

We should kill him.

We need him. He understands the threat.

We should kill him anyway. He stole our body.

He did.

*TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP*

She's pretty.

Yes she is. Caring, too, despite the exterior.

You love her.

I could.

You loved me.

I still do.

You killed me.

I know. I'm sorry.

*TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP*

It's okay. I forgive you. He's cute.

He stole our body.

He stole your body.

True. He scares me.

He scares me a little too. I like it.

Freak.

*TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP*

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Rabbit balks at the very idea, standing up. "Wait wait wait. You want to brick it? I'm all for not unleashing power creep on a global scale, but that seems a little extreme. What if it's the only working set? We should at least figure out how to...I don't know...split it up, first? Hand off a bad copy, sure. But don't waste the whole thing."
"I want to erase the whole damn idea of the thing if I can, if not? Close as I can get. This kinda thing..There ain't no right hands for it, not anywhere. Thing about diseases - like information, they wanna be free. You let this go, anybody unlucky enough to catch it is gonna get rounded up and given the MCT Treatment - squeezed until the immortality comes out."

She shrugs, though the dead-serious look never leaves her eye. "Could well be we can't, though , if that makes ya feel better. It really, really shouldn't, y'know? I'unno what all's involvede with altering a virus y'can't even look at under direct light."

She turns her gaze to the hunter. "Does stealthily sabotaging the stuff sound doable, within the timeframe we have? 'Cause if it'd work, but it'd take months, then we're outta luck."

CherrySmiles

Malicious Sprite
Validated User
De Vries listens to concerns, protests, even the start of argument, still smiling slightly all the while. When everyone winds down, he tells Annabelle, "No, madam, I'm afraid not. Sabotaging a new strain of HMHVV would require intimate knowledge of the virus itself. I don't plan on infecting myself, do you?" He shakes his head. "I'm afraid that if we want to stop this virus, it simply has to go away. We cannot sabotage it without a virologist and a great deal of time, or a ritual mage and a great deal of time. We could destroy it, but they would just make more." He opens his arms, standing with his palms up to either side of him. "Which is why I want it stolen. Brought here, it could be sectioned out, sampled, analyzed, passed on to parties who do not wish for this to spread any more than we do. I can buy you a small window of time to get it here safely, once you cross into Vashon Island."

Turning his eyes to Rabbit, Martin continues, "You are not wrong. You're not just underpaid, you're criminally underpaid for the risk." He shakes his head slowly. "There was never any honesty in this biz, but there were certain rules obeyed by Johnson and 'runner alike." He sighs theatrically. "So hard to find good clients these days." He grins, glancing at Lodestar before he looks back to Rabbit. "I have accrued certain material wealth in the last few decades, and I would be perfectly willing to part with a portion of it. Say, ten thousand nuyen to each of you upon delivery of a sample of the virus?" He quirks an eyebrow. "Technically, you can fulfill both contracts, if you can steal a sample without violating your contract with your original client."

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
"Criminally underpaid." He echoes. "He's right. And if they're just going to make more? There's no reason we can't do both, maybe. The Johnson said there might be more cases, remember? That we'd get a bonus if we got more. So maybe there's extra. We can grab the two from the original deal, and then just...get another. Or maybe they'll have more cases. Like a transfer or something. They had to get them in there somehow, which means somebody should know how to-"

A pause, and he smiles. "Technically the job is just for the cases anyway. Bard asked. 'How do we know what's inside, so we don't risk our necks for an empty box, and you don't pay us.' And he said we'd get paid for the cases. Since we're not supposed to open 'em. If we can snag an empty box and make a switch? Letter but not the spirit of the deal. Still a win! Wait..." His thoughts catch up to him again, and he turns to De Vries. "Could you infect yourself with it? Double vampirism? Would the two strains fight it out? Cancel out?" Rabbit already knows the answer. That there will be no conclusive answer. He sighs. "I need to get in there. Need, need, need to look at the files. You know they have data. Logs. Everything. I have to see it."

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lodestar takes a breath and her synthetic arm twitches a little. The gears turn and the engine revs behind her eyes. The pay for the job was awfully light... and this was a lot more than a little bonus side trip. She leans forward as her rational mind tries to catch up, and fails as residual adrenaline and more than a little bravado burns rubber to get the words to her mouth.

Try and squeeze more money out from someone who's been working way deeper shadows than her, for much longer? Sure, why not. What's the worst that could happen? It wouldn't be any worse than Rabbit's babbling about double vampires...

"Okay, yeah, so suppose we do make the big side trip to get the samples here here, avoiding peeping eyes that might not care about us getting an official guest invite..." She takes another breath. "Like you said, we're getting paid drek compared to what this mission is worth as-is. If this part goes south, we go from disposable assets that burned out before finishing the job to knowing way too much for some peoples' comfort." Her mind finally catches up, and she tempers her demand for extra cash into something... probably quite a bit more valuable, but less crass, as a favor-in-kind. "Even if it doesn't, someone might get itchy to tie up loose ends. You've been around the block and then some, so you've gotta know people who tear through the Matrix and wipe a slate clean. Corp dossiers, SIN biometrics... criminal records. Probably some of those types who owe you favors, too." She shrugs. "So any of us that need to get forgotten in the wake of this, you make it happen."

She figures Odette and Rabbit would need it regardless of how shit goes down... some of the others might be reluctant. Lodestar wouldn't mind losing her criminal SIN herself...
OOC: suppress thrill seeker: 10d6t5 1
negotiation: 8d6t5 4

well, that could have gone worse. Doubt it'll actually get us the boon, tho.

PixieDust

Possible successor to Betancore's coat.
Validated User
A pause, and he smiles. "Technically the job is just for the cases anyway. Bard asked. 'How do we know what's inside, so we don't risk our necks for an empty box, and you don't pay us.' And he said we'd get paid for the cases. Since we're not supposed to open 'em. If we can snag an empty box and make a switch? Letter but not the spirit of the deal. Still a win! Wait..."
MadCat cringed, slightly, but also gave a bit of a shrug, "If we can find one, aye. But those aren't exactly easy ta come by, an' who's ta say these don't 'ave a sort o' 'maker's mark' 'r whatnot they'd know ta look fer?" His attention turned back to DeVries as he continued, giving the man a wry grin and lounging back in his seat, "Don't much like the idea o' takin' it out an' sendin' the empty, either, considerin' what we're dealin' wit'. Would ye be helpin' us reseal the thing, then, Mr. de Vries? If'n' there be a magical seal t' it at all?"

HardKore Keltoid

RAW Cultist
Validated User
Annabelle eyes the negotiations. Even fer a go- ganger, huevos the size of grapefruits on this'n! How's she even fit on the bike?

"In less ah..Mercantile news.." She rubs her temples just a touch. "What are you willing to say about the facility and its defenses? I imagine you've scouted the area as well as it can be scouted - could you provide blueprints with good guesses as to points of interest?"

CherrySmiles

Malicious Sprite
Validated User
Again, De Vries waits patiently before answering. When he does, his voice has taken on a bit of a dry tone, a lecturer teaching a class of favored students rather than a terrifying magical nightmare standing the front room of a castle telling the team that all hell is about to break loose.

Looking at Rabbit, De Vries tells the young technomancer, "You'll have to. The building is on a closed system, with a near-ultraviolet node in place. No data leaves through normal channels without being physically transferred to offline storage and carried out." He pauses for a second, then inclines his head. "Admittedly, someone of the more esoteric informational espionage bent, shall we say, may have an arcane way of accessing even media protected by being offline. I admit to not completely fathoming how technomancy 'works.'" He has the grace to look slightly embarrassed. "Feel free to enlighten me if I have overlooked some critical component of your and Ms. Oshida's abilities."

Turning to Lodestar he smiles once more. "A hard bargain, madam, and not one I am willing to accept. Such a SIN is worth more than even I am offering per person." He shakes his head slowly. "No, I'm afraid I must decline. However," he holds up a finger, his range of motion no longer affected by that hand being on the arm that was severed only a few minutes ago, "I can arrange introductions between members of the team and an accomplished forger, and arrange to...defray the costs somewhat." He flips the hand palm up. "If you feel the risk is too much, you can turn down the job. You are hardly the only team in the 'plex."

De Vries' eyebrows raise as the apparently mad leprechaun bomber asks his question, then grins. "Of course. I don't get to exercise my subtler skills as much as I once did, and I confess to a certain curiosity. When I last faced this situation twenty years ago, Wake and I broke even. H destroyed his data, but his magic was too much for me to overcome." His smile becomes a predatory grin, showing fangs. "I welcome any chance to pit my magic against this organization again. Yes, I will aid in any way I can."

Last, he turns his attention to Annabelle. "I'm afraid I can say very little. The air ducts have filters to keep the infected out, even in our discorporate state, and I dared not risk breaching the wards. While I am sure I can get past them, a misstep would at the very least alert them to a problem and surprise is, I'm afraid, your only real advantage on this run." He sighs heavily. "From what I can glean, the easiest way in would be the sewers, as that entrance is only lightly defended and with good reason; it's ghoul territory down there." He winces slightly. "Feral ghoul territory, in fact." He faces the team as a whole. "You could come in through the roof, but you'd have to make it to the labs near the base of the building, and depending on the forces inside, those extra fifty meters could make for very slow, dangerous going unless you moved extremely quickly."

Top Bottom