• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Shiny and Chrome] [WIP] Building Mad Max-Style Cars for Tabletop Gaming

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User
Like many others I was completely blown away by Mad Max: Fury Road, and this thread convinced me that I needed to do some post-apocalyptic car gaming. Actually, the gaming part is secondary to the whole project; mostly I just want to build amazing Mad Max-ian Doomcars. My 40K Orks don't quite scratch that itch - even though their ramshackle vehicles are obviously drawing on the Mad Max aesthetic, they don't have the recognizable shapes of real-world vehicles underneath. Therefore, I decided to kitbash conventional model cars.

The cheapest option might have been Hot Wheels cars, which also seem to be the intended scale for some of the post-apoc car games mentioned in the other thread. However, the small size really limits the possibilities for modification, and cutting apart die-cast models is a pain. I wanted plastic kits for ease of modification, in a scale that's big enough to allow for lots of crazy details. Ideally, the size would also be compatible with tabletop gaming, in case I want to use my cars for an existing game. The most common scale for car kits seems to be 1:24, but that is clearly too large for heroic 28mm minis. 1:43 would be closest, but there are precious few car kits in that scale, so I settled for 1:32. Technically, that's still too large for 28mm, but 40K minis are disproportionately wide and chunky, so it kinda works out. Also, I'll be able to use my 40K bits stash, and the Ork bits in particular are well suited for this project. I haven't actually decided whether I'll use Ork or human crews (or a mix?).

I ordered a bunch of kits off the internet (1950s Chevys and Cadillacs, 1970s muscle cars, a hot rod), but being the impatient type, I needed to make a prototype NOW. I went to the store and got the only thing even remotely compatible: an Airfix Aston Martin DB5. Way too classy to be found in the wastelands, but it'll do. It's also an old, fiddly kit with lots of flash and terrible fit. Enough talk, pics:

I tried to do a straightforward interceptor car, fast, rugged, gun bolted on top. Ork bits include the ram and the burna tank on the hood, which looked okay as an engine part. I added greenstuff to the rear tires for more orkiness, and plasticard tire slashers to the front (also an homage to the car's 007 history). The exhaust came with the model, I just attached it to the side to show off more. Underneath, I raised the ride at the rear and widened the axle, but it doesn't really show that much - no more subtlety, I guess. I left the rear window open for a gunner, but think I'll save that for another car and use the space for cargo instead.

Next steps: airbrush grey, and then sponge technique for heavy weathering, followed by dust and rust pigments from AK. I've never tried those, so the Aston Martin will be a guinea pig. I'll post updates, provided there's interest.

Finally, a preview:

My Revell kits came in the mail today, and they'll be up next. Obviously, I'll need to respray the bodies.

Talon65

Validated User
Re: [WIP] Building Mad Max-Style Cars for Tabletop Gaming

Very cool! I like the Aston, looks good and I think it would look good with a gunner. I'm interested in seeing the others.

My only thought would be that if you were going to put a rear gunner on there, the gun might look better if you raised it a little bit so it looks like it's on a pintle mount of some kind instead of just bolted to the roof. Since you wouldn't really need a gunner if it's stationary.

Also, I've been seeing a lot games going to 32mm or 35mm figures. They may be closer to 1:32 scale

Some kind of plastic car kits in 28mm/1:56 scale would have been awesome for Carwars. Something, I think, they missed out on.

warlordgarou

Validated User

Haven't seen the movie (yet), but the trailers alone have got me planning to revisit post-apocalyptic car gaming. I already have Car Wars and Warlands, but I want to play something big - 28mm. Time to start scouring garage sales for model cars, and the internet for some game rules. Keep us posted on the project - I plan on mining it heavily for ideas and stealing them.

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User

And the Aston Martin (Waste-on Martin?) is done:

I did the dark grey chipped paint effect with regular paint and a sponge. The various rusty spots are a combination of brown and orange paint, AK Light Rust pigments, and AK Light Rust wash. I'm pretty happy with the weathering overall, except for the tires. I treated those with AK dust pigments, and it didn't work out very well. As a prototype, this was a success, and I have better idea of how to use the various effects. For the next car, I'll have to do larger highlights, because the chipping covered up most of the highlighting I did here, and I'll rethink my use of the dust.

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User

On the off chance that someone still cares about this, I'm done with my second car. It's a '34 Ford Hot Rod from Revell on Ork Trukk wheels, with assorted orky bits.

If you've seen the movie, you can probably guess how it's supposed to work: the gunner harpoons the target car, and then the claw-anchor drops to slow down both cars. It's a remarkably orky tactic, come to think about it.

Ardith_bale

Insert Wit Here
Validated User

AWESOME! loving the work.

Not nearly as pretty as yours but i've been poking at some Hot Wheels/Matchbox Scale cars for mad max fun.

I do need some more bitz though. first time i wished i was an Ork Player XD

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User

Thanks, guys!

Not nearly as pretty as yours but i've been poking at some Hot Wheels/Matchbox Scale cars for mad max fun.

I do need some more bitz though. first time i wished i was an Ork Player XD
I'd say you're off to a good start. As for bitz, there's a few bitz stores online that you could try. Of course, it'll be more difficult to find bitz that work for the Hot Wheels scale. That's one more reason why I went with 1/32, actually. I ended up buying a new Trukk kit just for the parts.

And yes Ace, I still care.:p
I appreciate it. ;)

Top Bottom