• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} [Sine Nomine] Godbound

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
The safest way to find out about new releases is by ensuring Sine Nomine Publishing can send you email via DTRPG. I only ever send mail when something fresh comes out, so there shouldn't be any issues with spamming.

With the dissipation of G+ I haven't got any terribly well-known place to mention much in the way of non-SWN projects, but the SWN and Godbound reddits both have my attention for game tech support, and I'll mention pertinent new projects in them.
Yeah, I know that's how you get new releases, but the G+ group was just so damned convenient for seeing all your in development nonsense :p

Neongelion

Validated User
So if I'm getting this all correctly, theotechnology can still function all across Arcem, right? Its mundane, advanced technology that can't function. Theotech is supposed to be a technological way to interact with theurgy.

Now I'm wondering, did the ancient Din empires use more of their "mundane" hypertech, or was it more theotechnology? I think I read somewhere that there's no real non-magical technology in the example realm or Arcem, but I'm trying to grok what the means exactly.

Tangent: the "All-Under-Heaven Empire" and "Polyarchy of Kham" are amazing names for ancient empires. Now I'm trying to figure out an equally cool name for I'd call the Din empire. Wissenschaft Imperium or something...

Ramidel

Validated User
All the really good stuff seems to be theotechnology in the Godbound universe.
Well, to rephrase that, all the really good stuff in the Godbound universe is divine. Theotechnicians' magic is designed for working with the divine, most specifically Made Gods - it just happens to be good for minor magic artifice too.

Judging by the Bright Republic, early-phase Din stuff was pretty mundane. On the other hand, their greatest works were the Made Gods of the Bleak Reach, and that means that their later civilization's baseline technology was theotech of a level that no human can comprehend, because their civilization was built on the back of a singularity.

Nepene

Validated User
Normal science doesn't function. Laws of science that people viewed as innate like combustion and germ theory are not in fact innate laws of the universe. Backup engines and ill understood concepts now command much of reality. The world still works in an intuitive way, but complex science is non functional.

Theotechnology is an artificial way to use the power of people's souls, Dominion, to force reality to work in a certain way. Theotech can be magical creations, technological creations and much more.

Technology as we understood it was the result of celestial engines forcing reality to work in a reliable way. The etheric nodes of the bright republic serve as substitute engines, making reality work in a reliable way so technology functions. It's all very well for anyone to build a car to drive across the land, anyone can do that, but without divine engines forcing the spirits of fire to play nice, it won't work. You might find guns, aircraft carriers, and much more but they will not function on their own.

Some technology has been hardened with dominion to function where there is no divine aid.

In terms of technology, each society had different attitudes.

The Ren (Dulimbai, Toba) believed in social sciences. As in Storms of Yiz, they believed in ordering society in the correct way to make it function. Some individuals might make use of some technology, but for the most part they did not need it. Why make an expensive tractor when you can simply teach peasants the right way to farm in an ordered way defined by the True King, and they get greater yields than any tractor would bring.

The Akeh (Ancalia, Oasis States etc) believed in individual excellence. They did insane eugenics experiments to make superhumans with incredible might. Some would certainly use technology to augment their considerable might (some of that is covered in Ancalia for the Fey) and some would see it as a crutch to be avoided.

The Din (Bleak Reaches, Lom, The Howlers, Bright Republic) made extensive use of technology. As mentioned, they produced the insane metal minds of the Bleak Reaches, and those that warned off those in Lom, the magical expertise produced the Mandala in the Howlers, and the etheric nodes kept the Bright Republic high in tech.

CrownedSun

Validated User
Well, I randomly bought the free edition of Godbound-- ended up buying every Godbound thing on DriveThru- and then read this entire thread from page 1 to the end.

Apparently I really like this game? XD

Neongelion

Validated User
So I've been thinking about mixing the premise of ARK: Survival Evolved with Godbound for a long while now. Basically the idea of ARK is that:

-In the distant future, mankind stumbles upon Element, a resource that propels them into a golden age of technology.
-Element begins spreading across the planet...and this gets worse when nations go to war with each other using Element based weapons.
-Element begins corrupting the planet, and gains sapience and self-awareness. Hive mind begins to form. Humanity is threatened with extinction, with Earth turning into a poisoned hell hole.
-The ARK Project is initiated: over a hundred space stations are lifted up into space. Each containing a self-sustaining ecosystem, to preserve the flora and fauna of Earth, and hold out until surface conditions stabilize. This system is overseen by post-human entities known as "homo deus". Homo sapiens go extinct, and homo deus becomes endangered, as they cannot "reproduce"in the same way humans normally can, being post-singularity entities and all that.
-Solution? Create a bunch of genetically engineered human bodies and stick some minds into them. Put them through harrowing, grueling trials, then finally, have them "ascend" to become homo deus.
-Something goes wrong though. The Element levels on Earth aren't going down as predicted, so the ARKs can't return back down. The older homo deus are beginning to lose their sense of self. Going "senile", despite being immortal. They create increasingly more fantastical creatures to challenge the cloned humans onboard the ARKs, like wyverns, rock golems, etc.
-One particular homo deus tries something else. Instead of having humans ascend to become more like their kind, she has them go through grueling trials specifically so that they can be beamed down to Earth and destroy whatever is holding all that Element together, so that the ARKs can all land back down on the planet and reseed it with life.

SO...I want to try to fit that premise, or a similar one at least, into Godbound. I'm just trying to figure out how. What would Godbound be? Is there actual magic involved, or is it all just "sufficiently advanced technology"? Would the ARKs themselves perhaps take the role of "celestial engines"? Of course, all of this is a bit more linear than your usual sandbox games, but that would be something I'd lay out before hand. Not as linear as a video game, but not completely freeform either.

Nepene

Validated User
How about, the element is actually the body of the creator of the universe or some eldritch entity, and its presence infects people and makes some godbound, and some terrible monsters?

Like in Borderlands, some people awaken to become psychics and lots of monsters gain super powers because of Eridium.

Celestial engines are needed because they make hot locations for loot and repairing the world. You don't need them in a setting. How about, each ARK project has some sort of global function to fix the world (seeding algae, producing fuel cells etc) which has been corrupted, and the players need to go to them to fix stuff?

Top Bottom