• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} [Sine Nomine] Godbound

Neongelion

Validated User
Hmmm...I like the sound of that. I just like the name "celestial engines", and celestial shards being like, highly potent Element. Maybe the "celestial engines" are the Obelisks inside the ARKs, since in the actual game, they're the ones keeping the station together.

I like the trope of "mysterious alien substance jump starts human civilization", but in this case, I want to portray how it can be both good and bad. Bad in that the Former Empires of Earth used them with wanton abandon and poisoned the planet. Good in that it was a pivotal catalyst in creating Godbound, and can be used to save Earth.
I also like the idea of each ARK being a realm from Arcem. Which then begs the question of how they interact with each other at all, if they're on different space stations.

In normal ARK, you travel between them via the Obelisks. I could possibly do that, but the consequences of the only way of travel between lands being in a few concentrated locations might be too much for my tiny brain to figure out. Or hell, why not just have all the ARKS instead be one giant station? Perhaps on the Moon, where powerful magic and technology was used to terraform it?

Sorry if this all seems kinda rambly, I'm just thinking out loud at this point. I just really like the idea of "artificially engineered lands acting as a lifeboat from a ruined Earth" in general for some reason.

Ramidel

Validated User
Hm. I'd go in a slightly different direction, as the evolutionary theme is there to facilitate an MMO Don't Starve and I don't think it fits well with a tabletop game. Instead, I'd focus on the reclamation of Earth.

Readings from the ARKs indicate that the Element ecosystem is no longer a unified mind (if indeed it ever was) but has instead led to a hostile death world full of new and fantastical creatures, along with surviving human and posthuman clades. The ARK minds, beginning to decay into senility and running out of resources, empower a small number of Chosen from the ARKs and send them down to prepare, guide and guard the rest of the seeds.

Earth isn't ready for humanity to come back, but humanity's out of time.

Nepene

Validated User
Sounds good, you can keep the terms.

You can keep the game as is. Each lifeboat has an obelisk people can teleport through, but as a general matter the inhabitants of an ARK won't let random people use them to go to places so trade is rare.

That makes it much easier to handle them if separate. They're not interacting with the story much unless the players go to them and untangle whatever problems are occurring on the station. Unless you want a particular station to be interacting with them.

As in arcem, and ARK, this is an easy way to have boss fights. Powerful enemies aren't running around messing up your dino fantasies, they're stuck in other ARKs. The stations lack of trade or occasional raids may be a problem but not an active one you need to consider.

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
I'm off to play this in a few hours:

It is a tale as old as polyhedrals – a group of delvers goes into a series of monster-haunted pits, gathers riches and turn their ambitions and expertise to the real world.

You know where it goes from here. They take over, become heads of guilds and temples and kingdoms and eventually, why not, they break into heaven and become gods.

Only after the machinery of Heaven becomes damaged do they wake up to the desperate prayers from their shrines in the one-tavern-village where it all started because the Tarrasque has awoken and only this pantheon of demi-gods, The Barbarian God, the Ranger God, the Thief God, the Paladin God, the Wizard God and the Patron Saint of Torchbearers and Hirelings, can stop it.

A Godlike adventure.

Proteus

Yours Pedantically
Validated User
If anyone's interested in a homebrew Godbound Realm that follows KC's technique of remixing historical nations with fantasy tropes, please check out my thread:

Citizen Arcane

Validated User
It is a tale as old as polyhedrals – a group of delvers goes into a series of monster-haunted pits, gathers riches and turn their ambitions and expertise to the real world.

You know where it goes from here. They take over, become heads of guilds and temples and kingdoms and eventually, why not, they break into heaven and become gods.

Only after the machinery of Heaven becomes damaged do they wake up to the desperate prayers from their shrines in the one-tavern-village where it all started because the Tarrasque has awoken and only this pantheon of demi-gods, The Barbarian God, the Ranger God, the Thief God, the Paladin God, the Wizard God and the Patron Saint of Torchbearers and Hirelings, can stop it.

A Godlike adventure.
This sounds super interesting!

I like how you cobbled classes out of the various words. Let us know how it goes!

Top Bottom