• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} [Sine Nomine] Godbound

EvilMegaCookie

Validated User
That could work. Also, a question: Does a party's influence stack? Or is it simply what each person can cover? I suspect it is the latter because 4 does not make a 8 I guess if one considers the different scale.

Andurion

Validated User
That could work. Also, a question: Does a party's influence stack? Or is it simply what each person can cover? I suspect it is the latter because 4 does not make a 8 I guess if one considers the different scale.
I would allow PCs to contribute Influence to the same project. So two PCs could each contribute 4 Influence to maintain an 8-point change. I would also allow PCs to contribute Dominion to the same project. I would also allow any mixture of Influence and Dominion to projects or changes.

Of course, if anyone contributing Influence to a project withdraws it, then I'd say the change either fades away or diminishes in effect (depending on how much Influence or Dominion has been expended by others).

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's explicit in the book that at least Dominion spends can be joint. I don't see a reason not to allow Influence, too.

I'd just be fairly strict that it has to make sense for both the PCs' Words, not just "Player A is short of influence for a cool project and Player B is sort of at a loss, might as well just let B chip in on A's big idea."

Andurion

Validated User
It's explicit in the book that at least Dominion spends can be joint. I don't see a reason not to allow Influence, too.
Thanks. I had thought I read that about Dominion in the book, but I don't have it handy at the moment and so wasn't sure.

EvilMegaCookie

Validated User
I completely forgot about the Impossible change thing. I was thinking strictly in terms of scale since there is quite the disparity between a city and a village. :p

Wizard Marshal

Hi everyone. I recently got back into Godbound because my friends expressed a renewed interest in the past few weeks and was hoping for some advice on a build. I only played a few sessions around a year ago, so I need all the help I can get. In all the tabletop games I play I've always been interested in builds that seek to solve problems with alternative methods to combat. I frequently play classes like spellcasters and bards in DnD games. My current idea for a Godbound was to take the Artifice/Desire/Intoxication Words.

His backstory is a little extensive but basically he's a sort of fixer from the Bright Republic who came into conflict with his former boss when he became Godbound. He escaped to Ancalia where he entered into the service of another Godbound for protection, who is a sort of wandering Dragon warlord that is trying to conquer and fix the country. This aligns with my character's personality, who is tired of corruption and wants to create a better future for the people by any means necessary.

My main concern is that the Desire and Intoxication Words seem to have some overlap. They both have social manipulation and broker deals just through different means. I was wondering if I should switch one of them out. I should note that my GM has ruled that "air" can be considered a "consumable" and thus changeable under the Intoxication Word.

On the other hand, I'm pretty set on the Artifice word, since crafting heavily appeals to me.

Nepene

Validated User
It is worth considering what you want to be doing, wizard marshal. Desire and intoxication each have their own areas of strength that may or may not match with what you want.

Desire lets you learn the secrets of even a Made God, and sway the population to mad desires. It lets you directly control defeated foes and make them do terrible and strange things. It lets you be the fixer. You can tell what anyone wants, and give it to them or deny it to them to ensure their obedience.

Intoxication lets you take your drugs anywhere. It lets you manipulate the world around you, and drug people in impossible ways. It lets you make vast numbers of people high, and makes their hallucinations real. It does suffer from the issue that important enemies tend to have good saving throws and effort autosaves and can ignore you.

It's great if you just adore drugs and like the flavor, but it's not so good at actually resolving problems in a non combat way. It has some ability, but notably less than other words.

If you want it to be more effective, some negotiation around how saving throws work in godbound is useful- making enemies specially vulnerable to particular drugs or poisons say, that you can discover by spying on them, and not allowing saving throws or effort autosaves for some more minor effects, so you can get enemies drunk and high so you can sneak by them.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
You could probably do some pretty cool things synergistically by using both Words in tandem. To me it sounds awesome, playing Sexy Junky Tony Stark, but then I have a lot of tolerance for playing the colorful Godbound character who is not as effective. Depending on your tastes and your GM's style, that may or may not be a good option for you.

talam

Smile, smile!
Validated User
Question regarding Shoulders as Wide as the World and Thews of the Gods: Thews allows you to carry more weight than Shoulders and still let you move around right? My interpretation is that Thews is an upgraded version of Shoulders with an appropriately increased cost. Is that correct?

Top Bottom