• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Single Book RPG Recommendations

Knightsky

Making wizards funky again
Validated User
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Witchcraft (and pretty much any Unisystem corebook)
Unknown Armies (2nd edition)
BASH UE

Jack

Wave Man
Validated User
While I of course hope folks buy all of John Carter of Mars, you have everything to run with the core book.

g33k

Banned
Validated User
Was just skimming 13th Age, as it was a recommendation here, is it a part of the d20 system?
13A was made by the lead designer of D&D3 and the lead designer of D&D4, who agreed that the games they had WANTED to make were too constrained by the project as-specified by WotC.

So they made the game they WANTED to make... which looked a lot like 4eX3e - stuff they hadn't wanted + other stuff they had wanted.

The Unshaven

Validated User
A lot of what I'd suggest is already here, so I wanted to flag the addition of Breakfast Cult by Paul "Ettin" Matijevic.

It's an evocative, imaginative setting with fantastic art, inclusive art from inclusive artists, and made me laugh a great deal reading it. It's also one of those educational books which periodically uses an example casually, like it's not a big deal, that completely changes your understanding of what can potentially be done with game mechanics you thought you understood.

LatinaBunny

Overprotective Angel
Validated User
13th Age looks pretty stand-alone from what I remembered reading of it so far. There are nice supplements and third-party support, of course, but the core rules seem solid.

I think 13th Age might be considered a D20 game, but it’s somewhat different in some various ways. But I’ll let the 13th Age fans describe it in much better detail.

There is a 13th Age SRD if you want to check out of some of the the basic rules. I think this is the link:
https://www.13thagesrd.com/

While I of course hope folks buy all of John Carter of Mars, you have everything to run with the core book.
Wait, are there more JC stuff coming up (or was released)? :D

farseerixirvost

Member in Good Standing
Validated User
Numenera 1 nailed the 1-book deal.

I'd argue that Numenera Discovery still does. Destiny is a 2nd core book with additional classes and options, but not at all necessary. Discovery has setting, character generation & advancement (plus rules to make your own options), mechanics, GM advice chapter, bestiary (NPCs & creatures), and even contains 3 adventures AND appendices with optional rules and features. Literally has everything in one volume.

Top Bottom