• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Sixteen Wax Candles (Don't Rest Your Head)

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wax.

Wax everywhere.

That's the only thought you can possibly process as you take in your surroundings. The floor, the walls, the people are just covered in the stuff. It's revolting and yet almost artistic at the same time. But as a massive bell rings and the doors to the main chamber open wide, you remember why you are here, and who you're here to see.

The Wax King. His head hangs low, as though supporting a great unseen weight, and his features have a melted quality to them. The look is enhanced by his crown, if you could call it that. A great candle, as wide across as his head and lit by a blue, translucent flame, sits upon his bald pate, and as the wax drips down the sides of his face and body to form his vestments, he beckons you closer.

"Welcome," he greets in his low, throaty voice that simply oozes command and presence. "I have called each of you Awake here to perform a task for me. As you know, the upper world of the Mad City was stolen from me long ago, my power usurped by a great and terrible Nightmare. Now, the time is right to take my power back and regain what was lost. To cover the Mad City in wax once again, and rule as I rightfully deserve. For this, I have summoned you. I know each of you - some searching for answers, or success, or youth, or meaning. I can give these to you. But you must first do something for me. Sixteen special candles I have forged from the waxy remnants of thousands of memories and shards of my own power. To places of great turbulence and destiny in the Mad City, you will bring and place them, before setting the wicks aflame. Once all have been lit in their proper areas, I will once more reclaim my true kingdom.

And to you, your rewards, as it should be. I will not lie - it will be dangerous. It will risk your minds, your bodies, your sanity. But should you prevail and restore me as the true king, your compensation will be beyond count.

What say you, Awake?"

Baeraad

I'm so tiiiiirrreeeeed...
Validated User
August clenches his fists, his rheumatic knuckles moaning in protest. He is frightened, though he knows he has no reason to be - what can anyone possibly do to him that blind nature isn't going to do within the year anyway? He tries to set his wrinkled face in a defiant expression to appear strong and unafraid.

"I trusted you once before, you waxy bugger," he says in his querulous voice. "Why should I expect that to turn out better for me this time, hmm? Youth and success, pah! It's my family I want - the one I squandered running your damn fool errands before! Can you give me that back, if I get your melted ass back on the throne of the city?"

For all his shaky attempt at defiance, it's painfully clear that he's desperate for the answer to be 'yes.'

lordmcdeath

Validated User
Alice was dressed in the free flowing garb that she always wore when in the Mad City. It was the same reason she kept her hair short and wore running shoes. You didn't offer this city anything resembling weakness unless you wanted it to snatch you under. Still she was considering helping the Wax King with this task. A change in the power structure would certainly open up new opportunities and throw off those who hide the secrets of this world. Being named the Historian of the Mad City would certainly make it far easier to assume the knowledge of what this city was and where it came from.

The smile that she gives the Wax king is just this side of predatory and the node in confirmation just a little pass manic. She would do as he asked to gain the truths she desired.

Paul Watson

Validated User
Sebastian stood there in his cheap suit, looking around at the waxy surroundings, the regal waxy figure who spoke, the others who were there for for the ... audience? And he knew in his bones this was real. But what to make of the offer? With his late start, working harder and smarter wasn't enough, not nearly enough. What he needed was a shortcut. This could be a trick, or he could fail, be hurt, or worse ... Or this could be just what he needed to make up for lost time. And he had a feeling this figure didn't bring him here without knowing how he would answer.

"Yes."

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
August clenches his fists, his rheumatic knuckles moaning in protest. He is frightened, though he knows he has no reason to be - what can anyone possibly do to him that blind nature isn't going to do within the year anyway? He tries to set his wrinkled face in a defiant expression to appear strong and unafraid.

"I trusted you once before, you waxy bugger," he says in his querulous voice. "Why should I expect that to turn out better for me this time, hmm? Youth and success, pah! It's my family I want - the one I squandered running your damn fool errands before! Can you give me that back, if I get your melted ass back on the throne of the city?"

For all his shaky attempt at defiance, it's painfully clear that he's desperate for the answer to be 'yes.'
Slowly the Wax King nods, and the ivory-colored substance in front of him twists and writhes, transforming into half-size figurines of August's neglected, detached family.

"One last task. Once it is done, I can give you back all of the time you lost - all of the discarded years, missed visits, ignored phone calls. As you are aware, there are countless doors in the Mad City that lead to practically any place you could desire. But there are also hidden, secret doors that can lead to you any when as well. I'll rewind the clock, and give it all back." The Wax King says methodically, confidently.

Alice was dressed in the free flowing garb that she always wore when in the Mad City. It was the same reason she kept her hair short and wore running shoes. You didn't offer this city anything resembling weakness unless you wanted it to snatch you under. Still she was considering helping the Wax King with this task. A change in the power structure would certainly open up new opportunities and throw off those who hide the secrets of this world. Being named the Historian of the Mad City would certainly make it far easier to assume the knowledge of what this city was and where it came from.

The smile that she gives the Wax King is just this side of predatory and the nod in confirmation just a little past manic. She would do as he asked to gain the truths she desired.
"You, I knew would accept. In exchange for your service for this task, I will grant you the Lost Library in the city, to learn in and do with what you will."

Sebastian stood there in his cheap suit, looking around at the waxy surroundings, the regal waxy figure who spoke, the others who were there for for the ... audience? And he knew in his bones this was real. But what to make of the offer? With his late start, working harder and smarter wasn't enough, not nearly enough. What he needed was a shortcut. This could be a trick, or he could fail, be hurt, or worse ... Or this could be just what he needed to make up for lost time. And he had a feeling this figure didn't bring him here without knowing how he would answer.

"Yes."
The Wax King smiles. "And you seek a road to success, a quick path that will lead you past your numerous failures and into glory. I shall grant you great luck and bountiful fortunes then, once this task is done. With that all you do will succeed, no matter how impossible or unlikely, for things will always go your way."

The king straightens up on his throne and nods again. "Now that we've reached an accord, here are the candles." He claps twice, and a Blind Knight brings in a small gilded chest sealed with wax. Upon opening it, one sees sixteen ornately-crafted candles bearing the symbol of a crown on them in different, striking colors. "The wicks shall burn indefinitely," the Wax King declares, "you need only place and then light them. Afterwards the enchantment will take hold and it shall be almost impossible to interfere with them in any way."

He then waves his hand, and a great monolith rises from the wax, a detailed map of the Mad City covered in writing carved into it. "Here are the locations for the candle placements. Some are quite simple. Others require a bit of thought and ingenuity. A few are incredibly dangerous. But you know the risks." The places are listed quite clearly beneath the map in large letters.

-THE TOP OF THE GREAT CLOCK IN DISTRICT THIRTEEN
-INSIDE OF THE TACKS MAN
-MOTHER WHEN'S CLASSROOM
-THE DESK OF THE CHIEF EDITOR FOR MAD CITY NEWS
-THE COCKPIT OF AMELIA EARHART'S PLANE LOST WITHIN THE AIR FORT
-THE EXACT CENTER OF PARADOX SQUARE
-UPON THE THRONE OF THE DARE DEVIL ON THE HELLWAY
-INSIDE OF THE MOUTH OF A TRULY HAPPY JACK-O-LANTERN
-ON THE BACK OF A LARGE MOSS-COVERED STONE
-IN THE BIG TOP TENT OF THE CRAZED CARNIVAL
-INSIDE THE DWELLING OF THE MANY-EYED ORACLE IN THE BIZARRE BAZAAR
-AT THE CENTER OF LABYRINTH STREET
-IN AN OPERATING ROOM AT SURGEON GENERAL'S HOSPITAL
-IN THE BANK VAULT OF THE GREEDY GOBLINS
-SURROUNDED BY THE ASHES OF AN EPIC FAIL
-BENEATH THE DARK WATERS OF THE ICY ISLE

"If you have any questions, now is the time to ask before you depart." He states with finality.

Baeraad

Validated User
August's breath catches in his throat. Can the old bastard possibly do what he says? Turn back the clock, make him young and strong again and let him do things right this time? No, no, it's surely impossible, but... what if?

And what has he got to lose?

"All right," he says. "I'll do it."

lordmcdeath

Validated User
"Who will notice when we start? Will the existing powers do once we begin to light the candles? Will they recognize the significance?"

Knowing this might tell them if they should do the first three quickly, start building a strategy of where they can go in what order to manage this task in the most efficient manner.

"Do you have a map? And where would you suggest we begin? Surely there has to be some that will be more carefully watched later."

Paul Watson

Validated User
Sebastian stands staring at the map with the crazy names, simultaneously knowing it's real and not accepting that it's real. I've gone mad. He gives his head a shake. Focus, man. Whatever this is, you're here now, so get to it. "Ok, 'Crazed Carnival.' Well, that just sounds unpleasant. A classroom? That's got to be easy, right? Yeah, I get the feeling that's not how this works. Ok, I dunno, maybe begin at the beginning." He raises his arm to point at the target location nearest to where they are, then realizes he's no idea where they are on the map. He keeps raising his arm until it's upright, like a child in class.

"Uh, I have a question. Where on this map are we?"

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Who will notice when we start? Will the existing powers do once we begin to light the candles? Will they recognize the significance?"

Knowing this might tell them if they should do the first three quickly, start building a strategy of where they can go in what order to manage this task in the most efficient manner.

"Do you have a map? And where would you suggest we begin? Surely there has to be some that will be more carefully watched later."
"No one should notice, at least in the beginning. Once you begin to light the candles and align the powers of the Mad City with my own, Nightmares of any real power will take note and may begin to act against you."

The Wax King produces a roll of flexible wax about the size of a scroll, which he hands to Alice. "I do not have a map. However, there is one in Paradox Square on a large monolith. Lay this wax over it and it will copy it unerringly, down to the last detail. It is located near the center, so you can start there if you wish. The Many-Eyed Oracle in the Bazaar will likely be one of the easier ones as well. If you go to Paradox Square, beware of the Para Doxers - they will use malicious technology in order to disable and destroy you."

Sebastian stands staring at the map with the crazy names, simultaneously knowing it's real and not accepting that it's real. I've gone mad. He gives his head a shake. Focus, man. Whatever this is, you're here now, so get to it. "Ok, 'Crazed Carnival.' Well, that just sounds unpleasant. A classroom? That's got to be easy, right? Yeah, I get the feeling that's not how this works. Ok, I dunno, maybe begin at the beginning." He raises his arm to point at the target location nearest to where they are, then realizes he's no idea where they are on the map. He keeps raising his arm until it's upright, like a child in class.

"Uh, I have a question. Where on this map are we?"
"Here." He points to a large spot near the bottom of the wax articulation of the city.

Baeraad

Validated User
"Well, let's get started," August grumbles. "I ain't getting any younger, you know. To Paradox Square, hmm?"

Top Bottom