• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Skyrealms of Jorune gives me wood

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seriously, this setting just pushes all my buttons.

I recently purchased a copy of the 1992 reprint of Skyrealms of Jorune from eBay. It came in the mail today. I'd forgotten just how evocative the setting and the artwork are. It's like "Wayne Barlowe's Artwork, the RPG," and I could very easily place creatures from Barlowe's Expedition and "Thype" into the setting without much difficulty.

It's such a totally different and alien world, even with the two or three anthropomorphic animal races. So different, in fact, that I suspect that's why it's not still selling like hotcakes.

But I have my copy now, so neener.

Valandil

Loves Sci-fi RPGs
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yup. Never thought about the Barlowe thing, but you're absolutely correct.

I think its one of those games a lot of people agree is art, but either feel intimidated or get writer's block with regards to starting a campaign.

Ben Rogers

Banned
My only problem with Skyrealms of Jorune are with the mechanic and the anthropomorphic animals.

I could probably even have dealt with one of the races...

...but three of 'em was just too much.

The artwork, as you said, is the real beauty of the world.

A Letter From Prague

citizen of the invisible
Validated User
Speaking of Barlowe, whatever happened with Thype? I remember being really into the sketches, but i never saw any finished stuff. Same with the hell-sketches in the back of 'guide to fantasy'

Tom B

Validated User
The main problem with Jorune has always been the mechanics. You pretty much have to switch to a different system if you want to play. I've seen a decent Harnmaster conversion that looks pretty good, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

The animal races don't really bother me...at least they're given a consistent explanation and backstory.

Dulahan

Validated User
Anthropomorphic races for me...

I'm pretty forgiving about settings, but I just don't buy Anthropomorphic races, a Furry RPG, yeah. Fine. But not supposedly serious games.

The setting still rocks the cabah from here to Cairo though.

Decurio

First of the Gang to Die
Tom B said:
The main problem with Jorune has always been the mechanics. You pretty much have to switch to a different system if you want to play. I've seen a decent Harnmaster conversion that looks pretty good, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

The animal races don't really bother me...at least they're given a consistent explanation and backstory.
Agreed. I think they were pushing towards a defenite improvement, but it felt as if the creators ran out of desire to perfect their product-or at least design a decent gaming engine.

As a huge fan of the game, I can also admit that its had its problems. Judging from the artwork, it seemed as if the game poo-poo'ed at the sterotypical, violence laden RPG-except that one of the main goals for starting characters was to attain citizenship to 'jump' social levels, gain more social status (and reponsibility) but mainly to get their grubby little paws on energy weapons (which were a rare commodity and controlled by the government, i.e., only citizens could legally carry energy weapons).

When Jorune really clicked for us back then, it was when we stopped trying to create serious, socially responsible characters and instead ran Jorune a la Burroughs' John Carter of Mars; a 'swords and sorcery in space with nearly naked women and ferocious aliens'-things began to jump at that point.

Usually I dislike 'furry' races as well, but I always thought that the Iscin races of Jorune had an excellent narrative rationale for their existence; this went a long way to mollifying my disdain for furries.

Where Jorune really fell flat was in the system. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. Combat in particular was a but clunky. I'm surprised to this day that GURPS Jorune hasn't been released.

IntegralENT

Validated User
Ironically, I found (and obtained) the very same edition today at Half Price Books. With a further 20% off, I got it for a mere fraction of the original cost.

I also picked up Nexus: The Infinite City and 3rd edition of Talislanta at the same bookstore. Now to get a copy of Exalted and Tekumel, and I'll be set on RPG.net's cult classics it seems. ;)

I only flipped through the book once or twice, but I got to agree: The art looks awesome. The history looks fun (I love history), and the bits of the system I saw were a bit 'old fashioned' alright. But still a good book.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Decurio said:
When Jorune really clicked for us back then, it was when we stopped trying to create serious, socially responsible characters and instead ran Jorune a la Burroughs' John Carter of Mars; a 'swords and sorcery in space with nearly naked women and ferocious aliens'-things began to jump at that point.
Huh.

I wouldn't have thought there was any other way to run the game. :D

Decurio said:
Usually I dislike 'furry' races as well, but I always thought that the Iscin races of Jorune had an excellent narrative rationale for their existence; this went a long way to mollifying my disdain for furries.
Same here.

Decurio said:
Where Jorune really fell flat was in the system. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. Combat in particular was a but clunky. I'm surprised to this day that GURPS Jorune hasn't been released.
Haven't gotten to the mechanics yet, and it's been 20 years since I even glanced at the rules the last time. So I don't recall the mechanics. But if they're clunky, I'll patch 'em up or revise 'em or something.

Maybe with Savage Worlds... Heh heh heh.

Evil Dr Ganymede

Banned
Animal races?

I remember (and I'm probably mis-spelling half of these, it's been a while since I looked at the game) the humans, thribble, the Shantars, some nasty insecty guys, and I think a big bear type thing. But I don't recall lots of "furry" races. Can anyone throw me a reminder?

Top Bottom