• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Skyrealms of Jorune] Why Drennship?

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
This is a question/musing for those of you who are actually into Jorune's more-than-a-little quirky culture and background. I don't have my books in front of me, so I may be getting some of my terms mixed up.

The basic conceit of the editions of Skyrealms of Jorune that I'm aware of is that the PC's are Tauther: people who want to become citizens (Drenn) of Ardoth(?) and have gone to the capital city Burdoth(?), recorded their Challisk (personal identifier) on the Wall of Drenn, and need to get sufficient current Drenn to support them to eventually gain Drennship. So far, so good. But the question keeps coming up in discussions I have with potential players: Why do we want to be Drenn?

The only in-canon answer I'm aware of is that Ardoth has (access to?) an extensive cache of EarthTek, and only Drenn are allowed to use it. This becomes a problem for any Tauther who isn't a straight-up human, because even Muadra and (?? the big human guys -- Boccord?) have a fairly stiff fail rate on using EarthTek. Mind you, I think the idea that someone is a Tauther only because his home village's last Drenn died, and their Durlig processor is about to be reclaimed could be a pretty cool motivation, but...

So I've been thinking about other reasons for Drennship, and come up with a few ideas. Two are based in history, one is based in the Jorune world-view.

The first historical parallel could be to ancient Athens: All Drenn are involved in the business of politics, judgment, and law-making. Every Drenn will participate in the Assembly when it is called, and may be called upon to serve in the Senate/Boule/Advisory by lot. They have the right to be tried by the Assembly, and there is a (very small) chance that they may serve as the high leader/basileus.

The other historical parallel could be to Rome, where citizenship grants certain rights and privileges, as well as duties, (especially with the right to trial and to avoid certain types of punishment), but does not effect actual social status or allow one to become a member of the ruling class.

It may also be that only Drenn are allowed to practice weaving Isho, rather than simply kerning, which would give the Muadra a healthy incentive to becoming Drenn.

Any thoughts on this?

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
There was a huge thread regarding this - Grymbok's long "Let's Read Skyrealms of Jorune, 3rd edition" thread:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=452575

This thread might also be of interest:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=498215

Of course, this assumes you haven't seen them already ...

Anyway, a combination of Ancient Greece and Imperial Rome seems to fit the setting quite well. I can see Drennship being a requirement for almost unlimited dysha weaving, and Tauther being the first step towards allowing limited dysha use for the purpose of performing the necessary tasks to earn challisk marks and attain Drennship.

Also, you have the benefits (and associated responsibilities) of land and property ownership (a merchant who owns his own ship gives that merchant the edge over one who must pay someone else to use their ship for example).

Another would be access to Earth-Tec other than weapons, or access to Ardoth's libraries, or access to Tan-Iricid (which might be easier when Tauther and/or Drenn).

Ian

Last edited:

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
I had this vision of a Patronus/Drenn with a cadre of Clientes/Tauther gathering to greet him or her during their breakfast to get their orders for the day, and hoping that *this* will be the service that actually gets his or her sign-off.

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
The first historical parallel could be to ancient Athens: All Drenn are involved in the business of politics, judgment, and law-making. Every Drenn will participate in the Assembly when it is called, and may be called upon to serve in the Senate/Boule/Advisory by lot. They have the right to be tried by the Assembly, and there is a (very small) chance that they may serve as the high leader/basileus.
As we discussed in the Let's Read, Ardoth (and human society in Jorune generally) is heavily influenced by ancient Athens/Greece, so this is exactly the right parallel.

Of course, the finer points of what it means to be a citizen in Athens are probably only slightly more obscure to many gamers than Drennship :)

Kagemusha

Takeda Shingen's monkey
Validated User
Ultimately, Drennship is what you want it to be.

Could be as simple as citizenship with the rights and privileges associated with it.

Or....it could be much more.

Thousands take the path of Tauther but only a few are chosen. Drenn are the Leaders, the Judges, the Rulers, the Elite, the Officers of the army. It is a real meritocracy where each person can rise up to the top if they have the courage and leadership required. Everyone is given one chance. Blow it, and you will be one of the many 'workers' that keep everything in shape.

Thus adventurer's will either be Tauther or Drenn which have a chance for travel and adventure.

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
As we discussed in the Let's Read, Ardoth (and human society in Jorune generally) is heavily influenced by ancient Athens/Greece, so this is exactly the right parallel.

Of course, the finer points of what it means to be a citizen in Athens are probably only slightly more obscure to many gamers than Drennship :)
Heh. Yeah, I'm something of a Classicist, to which my theological training (Master of Divinity) added some interesting sidelights.

Considering that ekklesia means either "Citizens' Assembly" or "Church" in Greek, there could be something interesting that implies that Drennship is actually some sort of salvation, and that the path of the Tauther is a quasi-religious pilgrim's journey. That might even make it a harder sell for some of my players...

(And yes, I have read the two previous threads linked above :) )

Top Bottom