• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Skyrealms of Jorune

Abernathy

Minder One
I've always been interested in getting into Skyrealms of Jorune, but I've never actually seen any of the books.

Can anyone tell me what the game is about, and what the current edition is?

cappadocius

Banned
Skyrealms of Jorune is a science fantasy game set in the relatively distant future, on the world of Jorune. It is noted for having an evocative and unusual setting (although time has made it less unusual as games and gamers influenced by it put that influence into their own settings), and aliens that are fairly alien (although not as alien as Tekumel's aliens).

There is no "current" edition. The *last* edition was 3rd, but it fell prey to the early days of desktop publishing/layout software and is almost completely unplayable as a game. 2nd edition is the game most people are talking about when they talk about Skyrealms.

owe for the flesh

Servitor of LOLth
There is no current edition, alas. The owners are aparantly not interested in seeing the game published anymore and have moved on to new things. Miles Teves, the artist, is doing designs for Hollywood now. The most recent edition was published by Chessex in 1993, but it's rules are pretty much incomprehensible. If you can find it, the second edition is usually considered the best.

The game is set in the far future on an alien planet colonized by humanity, but the star-faring civilization collapsed tens of thousands of years ago (similar to Tekumel, if you're familiar with that world). Currently the planet is inhabited by descendants of the human settlers, some of whom have evolved into forms more suited to their new home, the Iscin races (uplifted terran animals), the original natives, as well as descendents of an alien colony that was abandoned thousands of years before the humans arrived. Note that modern Jorunians don't realize that the last group is not native to the planet. In the current era the 4 groups coexist, but only just. There are remnants of the human's and alien's technological civilization that are barely understood. In particular, the human culutre used a lot of biotechnology, much of which has "gone native" and no longer works the way it was designed to.

The best part, to me, was the premise of the game. PCs are residents of Ardoth, the predominant human civilization. They are petitioners for full citizenship who must gather endorsements from other citizens in order to acheive the new status. So rather than killing and looting as is standard in FRP (though you can do that too), the players are expected to go around helping people to get recommendations. Very cool.

Gallowglass

Validated User
OK - cool. Thanks for the lowdown. I'll have to seek out a copy of 2nd edition.
Actually, I'd recommend picking up 3rd, plus The Sholari pack (a combination of errata, additional materail from 2nd editino supplements and a scenario). Having played and run both 2nd and 3rd, 3rd's by far the better game system, and is entirely workable WITHOUT the patches in the Sholari pack (albeit it runs better with them).

2nd edition ws better presented (three books in a beautiful boxed set), but 3rd packed more information in to the core rulebook (single perfect bound book). Check out www.jorune.org

How's Tekumel?
I always found it far less approachable than Jorune personally. If you can get hold of on eo fthe novels however, that helps a LOT - reading Man of Gold is what helped me finally make (some) sense of Tekumel.

CHeers,

NDM

JohnDeHope3

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The best part, to me, was the premise of the game. PCs are residents of Ardoth, the predominant human civilization. They are petitioners for full citizenship who must gather endorsements from other citizens in order to acheive the new status. So rather than killing and looting as is standard in FRP (though you can do that too), the players are expected to go around helping people to get recommendations. Very cool.
QFT. It's an intelligent and thoughtful setting. Also the art is fantastic.

AikiGhost

Keetoom of Dooom!!!
Validated User
The attitude I've seen towards this most often expressed by old school fans is "You're more than welcome to try. Many others have tried, all have failed."
So the original authors don't want to do anything with it but its still their baby and they don't want anyone messing with it? Shame.

Epengar

of the Clan of the Sweet Singers of Nakome
Validated User
There are nice fan-built web sites for Jorune and Tekumel online:

http://www.jorune.org

Jorune also has a single yahoogroup dedicated to it:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/jorune/

Tekumel has a good site too:
http://www.tekumel.com

Tekumel has several yahoogroups. The biggest and most active is an unmoderated general group:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/tekumel/
There is a moderated group that is "setting-only", not for game mechanics stuff, but it pretty moribund. There are also groups for discussion of the novels, for wargaming and miniatures stuff (new minis are out!), and language topics (the creator is a linguist).

The feel of the two settings is very different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom