• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Skyrealms of Jorune

A

AnonymousChickenSht

Anyone play this anymore? Any news of a *praying* 4th edition?

And please don't tell me it's being converted into d20...

NPC_lucid

It's Gojira!!! arrgghhh
I haven't heard anything about Jorune in ages and ages. I ran it a long, long time ago. The setting is cool but it's hard to get players for it. The setting has some odd concepts and a lot of new terminology to learn.

A

AnonymousChickenSht

true, the gameworld was so different that many were put off... but some of us LOVED it. some of my best rp sessions revolved around that little game.

kids today wouldn't know what to do with a game that stresses non-violent action over wielding a battle-axe though... hmmm.

and other than the original Ars Magica (1st ed i mean) i think jorune might have been among the first skill-check systems...

anyway...

Sammael99

Enlightened Frog
Validated User
AnonymousChickenSht said:
true, the gameworld was so different that many were put off... but some of us LOVED it. some of my best rp sessions revolved around that little game.

kids today wouldn't know what to do with a game that stresses non-violent action over wielding a battle-axe though... hmmm.

and other than the original Ars Magica (1st ed i mean) i think jorune might have been among the first skill-check systems...

anyway...
I don't visit the SoJ mailing list anymore, but there are still hard core fans there. I ditched the system last time I ran it and used a quick and dirty d6 conversion, but it worked pretty well. The players love it too, the trick is to get them to play a couple of "easy" adventures that don't require reading the whole Tauther Guide. Then they're usually hooked.

As for the 4th Ed. apparently it's not gonna happen, the feud between the authors being pretty dire. You'd think that considering how little money there is in RPGs these things wouldn't happen but hey, human nature and all that...

Scorpio Rising

Depending on your tastes, you may find this GURPS conversion to be of interest. I haven't used it personally, but it looks decent enough.

I ran Skyrealms a little bit in high school. There was quite a steep learning curve for the game and at that point there was no support (at least, not available over the counter in UK gaming stores). I ended up feeling that I only had a glimpse onto this huge, detailled world of Ardoth and that it would be wrong to make parts of it up.

I think this is when I began to develop my (entirely personal) preference for homebrewing my own worlds.

But if you're going to play in someone else's world... damn! what a good one.

- Scorpio reminiscing.

wizard_of_doom

Banned
Heh...we had a Skyrealms of Jorune scenario at last year's Conception (http://www.wessexgaming.org). More people wanted to play it than we had GMs, therefore we'll probably run it again at next year's event. I think the demand is still out there, but unfortunately I think the next edition will succumb to the d20 bandwagon...

Best,
Dave

Harbinger

Grammarman, Kiss My Ass!
Validated User
Lxndr said:
http://www.chessex.com/Games/Games2.htm

Chessex still publishes the third edition. They don't seem to be making any moves towards D20-izing it. Which would be a very, very sad thing to happen to the setting.
Yeah, becuase opening up a well thought out alien setting to the majority of gamers is far worse than letting it languish in a warehouse.

A d20 version is probably the best thing that could happen to SoJ, but it will never happen as the authors pretty much want nothing to do with it.

Blackberry

A berry or a bunny?
AnonymousChickenSht said:
[...]
Uh, what? :)

According to one web site, Skyrealms of Jorune came out in 1984.

RuneQuest came out in 1978. Champions came out in 1981. Star Frontiers came out somewhere in there and had a hybrid skill-check and stat-check system. Even Rolemaster's Character Law, which added a skill system, came out in the early 1980s. Bushido and Aftermath both came out around 1980 and used the BCS system inspired by Chaosium's system and heavily skill-focused.

Lxndr

Rpg.net Clear
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Harbinger said:
Yeah, becuase opening up a well thought out alien setting to the majority of gamers is far worse than letting it languish in a warehouse.
But moving to a system that removes anything "well-thought-out" is not the way to open it up. One could possibly tweak the system released under the OGL such that it'd still be able to pull off Jorune, but if it fulfillfed the restrictions required for that D20 STL, there's no way in hell that could happen.

Anyway. Revising the system, and making it more approachable is a good idea. Turning it into a d20 product is never the best way to go about doing so.

Top Bottom