• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Skyrim SE Mod Recommendations?

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Three weeks ago, my desktop computer broke. This was not all that surprising - it was eight years old and had all sorts of problems. Thus, I will be buying a new one next week, when my next monthly wages come in.

And of course, Skyrim Special Edition will be one of the first things I will install. The new computer will have a 1 TB SSD drive and 16 GB, so the game should run a lot smoother even apart from a better CPU and graphics card (I haven't decided on the specs for those yet).

But since the old mod configuration is on the hard drive of my old computer I can't access those right now without more work than I can be bothered to do at the moment - and it's probably a good idea to start afresh with an entirely mod build anyway.

So, what are your recommendations? So far, I have only decided on Unread Books Glow (a must for me) and the Skyrim SE Script Extender. Of particular interest to me are:

- Fancier graphics. My new machine will be a lot faster than the old one, so I should make the most of this.

- A perk overhaul. The last one I used was... Perkus Maximus, I believe? What's currently out there, and what can you recommend?

- Stuff that will expand the world without totally breaking immersion, such as new creatures.

I also highly value mod stability. While returning to the game after a CTD should be a lot less painful with an SSD drive than it was with my old hard drive, I still hate crashes with the fire of a thousand suns.

Bicorn

Validated User
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim is the perk overhaul I use. In general anything made by its creator, Enai Siaion, is consistently excellent.

For purely cosmetic ones, one that is unusual enough to warrant special mention is Automatic Variants. It allows you to install multiple texture replacers, and the game will randomly assign them to individual mobs to give them some more variety. The installation is a bit complicated, but I think it's worth it.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Sounds interesting.

Oh, and I want to drag out the early game. What kinds of mods are out there that reduce the amount of XPs you get?

phred

Validated User
If you have mods installed, you can't get achievements.
If that bugs you, then you'll want the mod that enables achievements.
I can't remember the exact name of it, but a search at nexus should be easy.

Also, look into a follower overhaul. UFO or something similar, but I'm not sure if UFO has been ported over to SE.

Ghola

Veteran of 100k psychic wars
Validated User
If SkyUI is available it will keep you from clawing your eyes out after staring at Bethesda's ugly and primitive interface.

justified

Skeptical Simian
Validated User
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim is the perk overhaul I use. In general anything made by its creator, Enai Siaion, is consistently excellent.
I personally like Enai's more lightweight perk overhaul, Vokrii, but yeah, for game mechanics overhauls he's a go-to author.

For graphical improvements, the Cathedral series of mod compilations (currently covering landcapes, weather, lighting, armor/weapons, people, and a few other things) is a good starting point.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
As a side note, instead of buying the new computer with a GFX 1050 Ti I will be getting a friend's used GFX 1080.

The downside is that I will have to use my old GFX 570 until I can install the new one on the 12th of August, but perhaps it's for the best that I can spend some time setting the rest of the computer's configuration up before I can start with the hardcore gaming...

Last edited:

Bicorn

Validated User
I personally like Enai's more lightweight perk overhaul, Vokrii, but yeah, for game mechanics overhauls he's a go-to author.
What I like the most about Ordinator is how it lets you engage the world in a radically different way depending on which perks you pick. Vokrii lacks most of Ordinator's more complex perks, like the ones that unlock new pseudo-quests.

Last edited:

Ghola

Veteran of 100k psychic wars
Validated User
As a side note, instead of buying the new computer with a GFX 1050 Ti I will be getting a friend's used GFX 1080.

The downside is that I will have to use my old GFX 570 until I can install the new one on the 12th of August, but perhaps it's for the beat that I can spend some time setting the rest of the computer's configuration up before I can start with the hardcore gaming...
Make a one-off character while using the old card so you can shout people off of mountaintops. Or chickens, whatever.

Top Bottom