• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

SLA Industries Announcement

El_phantasmo

Validated User
Bare in mind this won't be aaaanywhere near as eloquent as Miss Atomic Bomb's Strix secret as it's written by a fan from a document that's half remembered ...

Spoiler: Show
The Truth, a divisive document, was a writers guide but also contained the “in-WoP” secrets. There were lots of hidden things within, dealing with various aspects of the World of Progress, but it basically stems from this;

All realities don’t start with a big-bang – they come from a mind within a prior Universe. So the World of Progress was originally in the mind of a guy who lived in our universe, chap called Brent Walker who lived just outside Glasgow. He heard voices, from an entity that dwelt in his mind named Tide. Ultimately he was admitted to a facility for help with his mental health and was experimented on by a Dr Crantham (Well presented, pristine black suit, red tie …) using a drug called Reathanol. This drug pushed Brents mind and forced the creation, budding and start of the World of Progress – Which began not with a big-bang but at 0 SD. It started fully formed which is why a lot of the pre-Conflict Wars era stuff is malleable … it gets retrospectively created as needed.

In the facility were other subjects like Brent but nothing much is known about what happened to their universes. They all had different issues. They were all subjects of Cranthams (And the governments/militaries) Project Real Time. On the death of each subject they’d create a universe

Reathanol makes you addicted but you don’t survive long on it. His mind, along with Tides help, created the universe in his head (Incidentally this is why some Real Time (Our world) stuff slips into the WoP, like posters stating Nirvana are playing the Pit etc) whilst he was in Dr Cranthams asylum. His cell was covered in diagrams, notes, information on the races, technologies etc of his world. Brent became consumed in the creation and forgot Tide. Tide was ignored/abandoned/alone in the mind of someone free-wheeling creating a universe fuelled by a psycho-reactive drug.

Through various things that happen the WoP gets created. In Real Time there’s all sorts of madness going on in the asylum with the aim of creating a single, final stable and self-consistent universe that Crantham can then use (Pillage for resources, rule as a God, it’s never really 100% detailed the aims of Crantham). Brent and Tide end up in the WoP – Brent now hates Tide, fearing what Tides been twisted into, and attacks him. Tide becomes Slayer, Brent leaves the universe and ends up back in RT – he goes on to commit suicide sometime later.

Yet he awoke, within the WoP, but couldn’t rule it. He shouldn’t be there but Slayer trapped him on White Earth, a fucked up realm of madness, and the reality warped Brent so that he could exist there. Warped him into a monster … Brent became Bitterness.

Then there’s a lot more about The Black Stump, Mandrake, Senti, the Kilneck, Deathwake, Digger … it’s a bit convoluted, a product of its time etc. I like it, others didn’t thinking it’s a Waynes World dream sequence. Except it isn’t. It’s a fully fledged universe. Just prey you don’t get dragged there if you die here … you may wake up as a Stormer with all memory of this world and life wiped.

El_phantasmo

Validated User
Sure...as you say it was never canon, and even if it were would now be top of the not canon list.
Cheers - Just thought I'd check, didn't want to talk about it if there's an Integration Twenty type situation going on ... don't fancy become the RT version of HJ!

Perhaps a slightly tangental question as I'm not sure who it is behind WordForge so you may not know I guess ... but are any elements of what was "The Truth" holding true for V2? Even in a "We're not putting this in a writing bible, guide or anything, it's just our own little thing for our own meetings..."

Also ... taking any writing submissions currently? :)

WordForge

Validated User
Cheers - Just thought I'd check, didn't want to talk about it if there's an Integration Twenty type situation going on ... don't fancy become the RT version of HJ!

Perhaps a slightly tangental question as I'm not sure who it is behind WordForge so you may not know I guess ... but are any elements of what was "The Truth" holding true for V2? Even in a "We're not putting this in a writing bible, guide or anything, it's just our own little thing for our own meetings..."

Also ... taking any writing submissions currently? :)
The team have a Summit meeting planned for May this year. At that we are planning out the story arc for V2.

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User
Bare in mind this won't be aaaanywhere near as eloquent as Miss Atomic Bomb's Strix secret as it's written by a fan from a document that's half remembered ...

The Truth, a divisive document, was a writers guide but also contained the “in-WoP” secrets. There were lots of hidden things within, dealing with various aspects of the World of Progress, but it basically stems from this;

All realities don’t start with a big-bang – they come from a mind within a prior Universe. So the World of Progress was originally in the mind of a guy who lived in our universe, chap called Brent Walker who lived just outside Glasgow. He heard voices, from an entity that dwelt in his mind named Tide. Ultimately he was admitted to a facility for help with his mental health and was experimented on by a Dr Crantham (Well presented, pristine black suit, red tie …) using a drug called Reathanol. This drug pushed Brents mind and forced the creation, budding and start of the World of Progress – Which began not with a big-bang but at 0 SD. It started fully formed which is why a lot of the pre-Conflict Wars era stuff is malleable … it gets retrospectively created as needed.

In the facility were other subjects like Brent but nothing much is known about what happened to their universes. They all had different issues. They were all subjects of Cranthams (And the governments/militaries) Project Real Time. On the death of each subject they’d create a universe

Reathanol makes you addicted but you don’t survive long on it. His mind, along with Tides help, created the universe in his head (Incidentally this is why some Real Time (Our world) stuff slips into the WoP, like posters stating Nirvana are playing the Pit etc) whilst he was in Dr Cranthams asylum. His cell was covered in diagrams, notes, information on the races, technologies etc of his world. Brent became consumed in the creation and forgot Tide. Tide was ignored/abandoned/alone in the mind of someone free-wheeling creating a universe fuelled by a psycho-reactive drug.

Through various things that happen the WoP gets created. In Real Time there’s all sorts of madness going on in the asylum with the aim of creating a single, final stable and self-consistent universe that Crantham can then use (Pillage for resources, rule as a God, it’s never really 100% detailed the aims of Crantham). Brent and Tide end up in the WoP – Brent now hates Tide, fearing what Tides been twisted into, and attacks him. Tide becomes Slayer, Brent leaves the universe and ends up back in RT – he goes on to commit suicide sometime later.

Yet he awoke, within the WoP, but couldn’t rule it. He shouldn’t be there but Slayer trapped him on White Earth, a fucked up realm of madness, and the reality warped Brent so that he could exist there. Warped him into a monster … Brent became Bitterness.

Then there’s a lot more about The Black Stump, Mandrake, Senti, the Kilneck, Deathwake, Digger … it’s a bit convoluted, a product of its time etc. I like it, others didn’t thinking it’s a Waynes World dream sequence. Except it isn’t. It’s a fully fledged universe. Just prey you don’t get dragged there if you die here … you may wake up as a Stormer with all memory of this world and life wiped.
I play a Stormer...
...whose RT soul wasn't properly scrubbed by the Deathwake process, so now there's two of us in there - me and my soul.

Sometimes the soul takes over, and it's really fun to have that outside view on the WoP from someone who wasn't created there.

The other things I like about the Old Truth are the implication that RT isn't the topmost layer of reality, and Mister Slayer's actually honest intentions as a benevolent dictator; he genuinely is doing what he does for the sake of the universe.

No matter what, it is an interesting time for SLA Industries.
I really, really want to believe.

El_phantasmo

Validated User
I play a Stormer...
...whose RT soul wasn't properly scrubbed by the Deathwake process, so now there's two of us in there - me and my soul.

Sometimes the soul takes over, and it's really fun to have that outside view on the WoP from someone who wasn't created there.

The other things I like about the Old Truth are the implication that RT isn't the topmost layer of reality, and Mister Slayer's actually honest intentions as a benevolent dictator; he genuinely is doing what he does for the sake of the universe.
Interesting;

For me that'd still be one person, a Stormer who just remembers both his VAT birth and has flashes and memory of being "Bob Jones" from Leeds. Though it could be fun to RP being Crank the 313 who then suddenly, mid combat, stops ripping enemies to shreds and starts wailing and crying and just screaming "WHAT AM I DOING? WHY IS THERE SO MUCH BLOOD?" in a northern accent. There are of course RT people who got dragged in ... Kilneck being the main group, but then there's the Bloodbound Book as well though she isn't alive obvs. The whole RT thing is great though...

But the whole reality thing is great. For me it definitely means that each universes origin is nested in another. But each reality might differ vastly from the progenitor's own universe. So our RT universe could be from a being who's universe would see this one, with it's big-bang, atoms, natural laws etc as utterly bizarre and perverse. Much like RT science can't explain the paradox of Morts size yet Earth standard gravity ... are there fudges and coverups in RT to make it consistent?

...add to that the factions I created who can traverse all of the various multi-verses realities ... which were inspired by a chat I had a long time ago with someone.

WordForge

Validated User
Interesting;

For me that'd still be one person, a Stormer who just remembers both his VAT birth and has flashes and memory of being "Bob Jones" from Leeds. Though it could be fun to RP being Crank the 313 who then suddenly, mid combat, stops ripping enemies to shreds and starts wailing and crying and just screaming "WHAT AM I DOING? WHY IS THERE SO MUCH BLOOD?" in a northern accent. There are of course RT people who got dragged in ... Kilneck being the main group, but then there's the Bloodbound Book as well though she isn't alive obvs. The whole RT thing is great though...

But the whole reality thing is great. For me it definitely means that each universes origin is nested in another. But each reality might differ vastly from the progenitor's own universe. So our RT universe could be from a being who's universe would see this one, with it's big-bang, atoms, natural laws etc as utterly bizarre and perverse. Much like RT science can't explain the paradox of Morts size yet Earth standard gravity ... are there fudges and coverups in RT to make it consistent?

...add to that the factions I created who can traverse all of the various multi-verses realities ... which were inspired by a chat I had a long time ago with someone.
Both very cool!

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User
Interesting;

In our game they are two different people, but it helps that both of us are engineers so they have some frame of reference for each other. I actually have two character sheets now, depending on which one is in control, because they both have different skill sets - the Stormer is a hacker / combat engineer (He's a Xeno, mechanically, but in the fiction he's one of the first generation of a new breed), while the soul side is more of a civil engineer.

I've always wanted to run a game where Mister Slayer finds out that he exists in an RPG, that there are other RPG's, and goes off to conquer them to take what he can for the WoP. The players would be part of a ragtag resistance movement, based out of the Floating Vagabond or somewhere similar, chasing Mister Slayer and his sinister agents through the multiverse to stop this. It wouldn't be quite as grim as SLA, it's basically an excuse for a giant crossover, but it could be a good time.

Top Bottom