SLA Industries Announcement

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User
Knowing next to nothing about this line, was there anything controversial in these releases (like some of the V5 stuff) or was it purely creative differences?
Purely stuff that they don't feel fits the universe or the game any more. SLA is a bit edgy in that angry punk sort of way that a lot of alternative British stuff was in the 80's / early 90's, but that's about it.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Huh. I really liked Mort, The Contract Directory, and Cannibal Sector 1.

Hell, I really like everything about SLA Industries.

Perhaps they can explain a little further (like "we're replacing this with this" and such).

-Thornhammer

Snumpus

Validated User
Removing the books entirely from sale sounds like a good way of ensuring that completists won't buy your game. I don't know how many of us (completists) there actually are, so maybe that's not worth being concerned about, but on the other hand, given the ease of keeping things available in PDF format at least, it does seem like throwing money away. Which is... something you're certainly free to do, I suppose.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
I don't see how this benefits them more than sticking a disclaimer inside the front covers of the books and continuing to sell them as PDF. Unless they're going to release books with the exact same titles and dont want to cause confusion, which seems like a lost cause.

WordForge

Validated User
Hi all. Thanks for all the feedback and discussion.

To confirm, there is a lot of CS1 and Mort rewritten in the new book, so having old and defunct text available seemed confusing for new players...which book is right...it says X in A and Y in B. Which is right etc.

It also feels wrong to sell someone an out of date product.

The contents of CD, like the rest of Mort will see reimagining in new books.

Ursa became out of place as we developed the new book (do we really need a called out Mutant Carrien variant? For example)

Hope that helps

Kettlehelm

Validated User
So if we already have everything on that list, will the information inside those books be repeated in the new books or is it being removed altogether for new interpretations?

WordForge

Validated User
I guess the best analogy is Mad Max 2 to Fury Road, or Battlestar Galactica 1970/80s to BSG new. So 'removed altogether for new interpretations'. BUT as I have discussed on facebook:

In my view. the whole point of RPG books, is to give source for a RPG to be based on...where one goes with that is down to the GM and the players. We needed to make it clear for new players (and those older who don’t like clashing differences) where NFG suggest one starts, but beyond that specification, we are happy that people have a massive source of material (inc fan based stuff if I’m honest and their own creations) to imagine and create from.

So from my POV. Clarity has been given by this announcement, but we would propose being prescriptive how a gamer wants to play. In other forums, some people have stated they will stick with their older books, fan fiction and Home Brew, whereas others are happy for the clarity and the progress being made. Both is cool by me, as they are playing and creating in the World of Progress.

WordForge

Validated User
I guess the best analogy is Mad Max 2 to Fury Road, or Battlestar Galactica 1970/80s to BSG new. So 'removed altogether for new interpretations'. BUT as I have discussed on facebook:

In my view. the whole point of RPG books, is to give source for a RPG to be based on...where one goes with that is down to the GM and the players. We needed to make it clear for new players (and those older who don’t like clashing differences) where NFG suggest one starts, but beyond that specification, we are happy that people have a massive source of material (inc fan based stuff if I’m honest and their own creations) to imagine and create from.

So from my POV. Clarity has been given by this announcement, but we would propose being prescriptive how a gamer wants to play. In other forums, some people have stated they will stick with their older books, fan fiction and Home Brew, whereas others are happy for the clarity and the progress being made. Both is cool by me, as they are playing and creating in the World of Progress.
but we would NOT propose being prescriptive how a gamer wants to play.

Top Bottom