• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

SLA Industries Announcement

Ahrimanius

SLA Cloak Divison
Validated User
Seeing that the GM Screen is canon I'd love to see that available in PDF (however unlikely)

It is the only SLA Item I dont own in Print and I do consider it the SLA Holy Grail.

PeterAmthor

Truly Rural
Validated User
Things like this make me even more happy that I walked away from the game and sold everything off. My final straw was when Allsop said there would be RPG material released exclusively in the Mini game that you could only get through purchasing it. So if you wanted to stay up to date on new material but had no interest in a table top miniature battle game you had to buy it anyways. Funny though, the books they are cancelling out of canon are mostly the ones produced when the creators had walked away from the game themselves. If it wasn't for those books being released during that time I think the fanbase for the game would be a lot smaller now.

Ahrimanius

SLA Cloak Divison
Validated User
Gonna have to agree with PeterAmthor

Ever since the cubicle 7 era their hasn't been much in the regards to the SLA RPG brand besides Data Packets,Hunter Sheets 2 (that took years to come out in print ) and the Corebook Reprint.

I wouldn't mind the removal of Books from Drivethru RPG if I could be sure that their was going to be more substantial releases in the future past the CS1 Miniature Game.

WordForge

Validated User
I believe the Truth has been non canon for years now.
From the point since it was released to the public.
It wasn't really ever canon, it was a guide for authors, which was not meant for general consumption.
From my POV it was a way to help writers get into the mind set, but was not necessarily The Truth, even if presented as. More what the minds behind SLA wanted to share...a half truth or a simplification to allow the appropriate end result without giving it all way.

An analogy would be George Lucas telling everyone that Vader tells Luke Ben killed his father...in fact the real truth was so much more shocking, impactful and ground shaking! Prowse and Hamill, the crew and director were able to complete the job, even though most of them didn't know the real truth!

WordForge

Validated User
Things like this make me even more happy that I walked away from the game and sold everything off. My final straw was when Allsop said there would be RPG material released exclusively in the Mini game that you could only get through purchasing it. So if you wanted to stay up to date on new material but had no interest in a table top miniature battle game you had to buy it anyways. Funny though, the books they are cancelling out of canon are mostly the ones produced when the creators had walked away from the game themselves. If it wasn't for those books being released during that time I think the fanbase for the game would be a lot smaller now.
Not exactly true.

Firstly, the new book is 7/8th RPG and 1/8th Miniature.
Secondly, the only book written and published without significant input from Nightfall Games was the Cubicle 7 CS1. All others were written by and or over seen by Dave and/or Jared. As far as order of publication is concerned, criteria for deletion was not time of publication dependent, nor publication house depended, more so, dependant on whether they have been superseded by new or upcoming writing (as per the announcement).

WordForge

Validated User
Seeing that the GM Screen is canon I'd love to see that available in PDF (however unlikely)

It is the only SLA Item I dont own in Print and I do consider it the SLA Holy Grail.
I know that feeling, but I suspect we won't see a reprint or publication of the original GM screen

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
This is a really weird and kind of inappropriate decision. At the very least, old books should always be available in PDF just for history's sake.

Ahrimanius

SLA Cloak Divison
Validated User
This is a really weird and kind of inappropriate decision. At the very least, old books should always be available in PDF just for history's sake.
Agreed.

A non canon disclaimer inserted into the PDF would be perferable rather then outright removal,least in my honest opinion.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
Or just... do nothing? That's what literally everybody else does. Sort books into First Edition and Second Edition and let people decide on their own what they want to buy.

Snumpus

Validated User
It also feels wrong to sell someone an out of date product.
Surely it's up to the consumer whether they WANT to buy an 'out of date' product. Not everyone cares about what is or isn't deemed canon, and is simply interested in inspiration. Or in collecting -- personally, if I don't already have books when they're pulled from sale, I will never buy that game, because I value having complete collections and there are too many other games out there that will let me do that.

Top Bottom