• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Slasher Flick RPG

GamerEH

Retired User
Hey Does anyone know anything more about Slasher Flick. I checked out the website, I was wondering if anybody had heard more about it?

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The one Cynthia Celeste Miller is writing? *points to Art of Game Design forum*

Cynthia Celeste Miller

"Shut up your damn head!"
Validated User
Hopefully, I know something about Slasher Flick. :)

I'm not sure exactly what you what to know, but Belac is correct. You can check out the Game Design sub-forum. We have some threads going that should prove insightful for you.

As it stands now, the largest portion of the game is done (playtesting aside). It's coming along exceptionally well. As for the rundown of the game, I'll give you some nuggets of info:

Characters
There are four types of characters in the game: primary characters (the major characters in the slasher movies that you know will either survive or make it to the last few scenes of the film; each player plays one primary character), secondary characters (the major characters that will likely be killed throughout the course of the movie; the players share these characters), tertiary characters (minor characters that only appear briefly or infrequently; the Director plays these characters) and the killer (well, y'know, the one responsible for all the bloodshed; the Director plays this character).

During character creation, each player creates his own primary character, but they all create the secondary characters as a collaborative effort (i.e., after each step, the secondary characters are passed clockwise around the table).

The killer isn't statted up like other characters. In fact, he's more like a force of nature than a true character. He is built by the Director, who selects building blocks for him. Each building block is an advantage or disadvantage that shapes up what the killer is like. When confronting the characters (or vice versa), the Director never has to roll for the killer. It is assumed that he succeeds unless the characters roll to stop it. This includes attacks.

Task Resolution
There are four stats (Brawn, Finesse, Brains and Spirit). These are rated Poor (d10), Normal (d8) and Good (d6). Characters also have positive and negative qualities, with each one being attached directly to one of the stats.

Stat checks are made by rolling four dice (usually; see below). The die type depends on the rating (see above). If at least 2 dice roll identical numbers, the action suceeds. The number of dice rolled can be altered by difficulty or by qualities.

Genre Points
Characters in slasher films tend to behave differently than people in the real world do. Oftentimes, this behavior includes taking a course of action that could be construed as stupid. Traditionally speaking, this kind of behavior is inadvisable in roleplaying games, where a character’s survival is of utmost importance. In Slasher Flick, however, it’s not only advisable, it’s downright encouraged by the game system… especially for secondary characters.

Whenever a character does something that is particularly appropriate to the genre, the Director may award the player a genre point on the spot. Players accumulate these points and can spend them to help out their characters later on in the game.

Kill Scenes
Whenever the killer appears and tries to attack a character, a kill scene begins. A kill scene is a stream of narration, sprinkled with a series of stat checks. The character’s goal during the sequence is to gain eight survival points before dropping below zero survival points. The character starts the game with a set number of survival points (between 0 and 3).

Survival points are acquired (or lost) by making checks. Here’s how it works:

· The character makes a Finesse check (called an initiative check). If he succeeds, he is said to have initiative. If he fails, the killer has initiative.
· The controller of the character with initiative can choose to declare what he does first or second.
· Both sides (in order) declare what they’re doing.
· The GM declares what stat is being used and notes if any of the qualities will affect the situation.
· The player makes the check.
· The GM narrates the result of that check (see “Gaining and Losing Survival Points” below) and prepares for the next turn.

Survival Points
Survival points act as an abstract measure of how well a character is doing, not just physically but mentally as well. It can also measure how well positioned he is.

Gaining and Losing Survival Points
After each check, the character’s survival points will be adjusted. Here’s how to determine how the total is adjusted:

· Each duplicate you roll in a given check grants +1 survival point.
· Any duplicates of the highest possible result (e.g., 8 on a d8) count as +2 survival points each.
· A check that generates at least one “1” reduces the total by –1 survival point.
· A check that generates no duplicates reduces the total by –1 survival point.

It must be noted that, unlike regular checks, 1s never count as duplicates during kill scenes.

If the character gains a total of 8 survival points, the kill scene ends favorably for him (the killer goes down, the character escapes, etc.). If, however, the character’s survival points drop to below 0, the kill scene ends unfavorably for him (the character dies or is otherwise out of the scene).

Kill Scene Example
The following example should clear up any issues you may have with resolving kill scenes. In this example, the player is playing a camp counselor named Josh, who is currently checking out an abandoned house for a missing camper.

GM: As you search the house, you glimpse a shadow moving outside the window.
Player: I creep over to the window for a closer look.
GM: You step quietly and slowly over to the window, your heart pounding with fear. You get closer… closer… closer. That’s when you notice a reflection of a huge man with a burlap sack over his head in the window: he’s right behind you! It’s time for a kill scene. Make an initiative check.

[The player makes an initiative check, which uses his Normal Finesse. He rolls 4d8 and gets a 1, 2, 4 and 4.Since he rolled duplicates, the player gains initiative.]

GM: Okay, you have initiative. Do you want to declare first or do you want the killer to declare first?
Player: He can declare first.
GM: Okay. The killer, who wields a machete, takes a wild swing at you.
Player: I’m going to attempt to duck underneath and run out the door I entered the room through.
GM: Okay, this is going to be a Finesse check. You have the “quick mover” quality, so that will grant you an additional die. Roll 5d8.

[The player rolls and gets a 1, 1, 5, 5, and 7. Since he rolled two duplicates (duplicate 1s don’t count), he gains 2 survival points. However, he also rolled at least one 1, so his total is reduced by 1. He now has 1 survival point.]

GM: The killer swings his machete forcefully, but you slip beneath its path of destruction and run past him and out the door. On to the next turn. The killer chases after you, surprising you with his speed.
Player: I’m heading back into the woods, trying to make my way back to the camp.
GM: Another Finesse check with another bonus for your quality.

[The player rolls a 3, 6, 7, 8 and 8. He rolled two duplicates, but they aren’t just regular duplicates; they’re 8s. Each 8 is worth two survival points, bringing his total up to 5 (1 from last turn and 4 for this turn)]

GM: You are keeping a very good pace, staying well ahead of the killer. So far ahead, in fact, that you can no longer see him. New turn. You can’t see what the killer is doing, so you have to declare your actions.
Player: I’m not stopping now. I keep running.
GM: Your Finesse sure is getting a workout today. Make your check, same as before.

[The player rolls a 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8. Since he didn’t roll any duplicates, he loses 1 survival point. Also, he rolled a 1, he loses another survival point, dragging his total down to 3.]

GM: You run through the woods at breakneck speed, but suddenly realize that you’re lost. Just as you pause to get your bearings, the killer climbs out of what looks like a large hole in the ground. He apparently has ways of getting around in the woods. New turn. The killer comes charging at you with his machete held above his head.
Player: To hell with running! I’m going to try to pick up a rock or something and smash him in the head with it as he nears me.
GM: This is going to be hard because his machete has a better reach and he has momentum. So, you’re making a Brawn check with only three dice.

[The player’s Brawn is Good, so he rolls 3d6. He rolls a 2, 5 and 6. He loses one survival point because he failed to score any duplicates. He now has 2 survival points]

GM: Before you can connect with the rock, the machete bites into your shoulder, causing blood to splatter everywhere. You fall to the ground. New turn. The killer is going to grab your feet and swing you into a nearby tree.
Player: Holy crap! I’m going to try to kick him in the face.
GM: Another Brawn check, but this time you get to roll all four dice.

[The player rolls 4d6 and gets a 2, 6, 6 and 6. He not only rolled three duplicates, he rolled three duplicates of the highest possible result (6s). Each of these duplicates is worth 2 survival points, bringing his total up to 8 (the number required to win the kill scene)]

GM: He tries to grab your ankles, but as he leans in, your foot meets his face and sends him reeling backward… right into the hole he came out of. You’re not sure if he’s dead, but the kill scene is over. What are you going to do now?

Anyway, I hope this gives you what you want to know about the game.

Last edited:

Cynthia Celeste Miller

"Shut up your damn head!"
Validated User
First I've heard of it but Ahrimanius is right, it does sound awesome. I believe I'm sold. :)
I'm glad you like what you see so far.

Just so you guys know, I've already been contemplating what supplements to do and I'm quite thrilled with some of the possibilities (such as a mini-GM screen, which is actually a DVD case that has the cheat sheet info in it. Also inside the DVD case will be tokens to use for Genre Points and Survival Points).

Top Bottom