• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Slay the Spire] Have you Slain it? How?

prototype00

Validated User
After numerous runs I finally managed it with both the Silent and the Ironclad!

Ironclad: Easier. Lots of people advocated Clash runs for easy wins, but I found in practice they are hard to pull off because enemies, especially in the later floors, love to fill up your deck with their useless crap. It’s also Relic dependent (and I’ve never seen the Spinning Top in half my runs!)

Instead I built around Perfected Strike which is much easier as you can win purely by card choice. Felt good whipping out 55+ Damage 2cost cards!

Silent: Much harder for me, eventually won with a defence/poison deck.

I know my wins are super vanilla, I’m just trying to get good at the moment. How did you guys do it?

Last edited:

beachnik

Man of Action!
Validated User
My last win, on Ascension mode even, was an Ironclad run which was all attacks, all the time. I think I finally got it down to having just 1 Shrug It Off as my only purely defensive skill card in the deck.

But I was really lucky getting a bunch of the relics that grant you things if you play 3 attacks in a single turn. I think I got three of them, one that gave block, one that gave strength, and one that gave dexterity. Between them, and a judicious amount of the Attack+Block cards which were all upgraded I was able to squeak a win out against the final boss.

Vigorous Ape

Kung-fu Master
Validated User
With the Silence I did one using the bouncing poison flasks, the skill that doubles your next skills and upgraded catalysts that tripled the enemies poison.

prototype00

Validated User
With the Silence I did one using the bouncing poison flasks, the skill that doubles your next skills and upgraded catalysts that tripled the enemies poison.
Yeah, Nightmare + Upgraded Catalyst + 12 points of poison is a 324 stack worth of poison damage (!).

Has anyone won with a Shiv/ Exhaust synergy with the Silent?

Tonbo_Karasu

Validated User
Just yesterday I got my second with the Silent. I picked up the Du Vu Doll as the second artifact, meaning that I was able to take the Cursed Key at the top of level 1, then the Calling Bell at the top of level 2. On the way there, I built the deck around lots of card cycling and Shivs. By the time I reached the top, I was starting every fight with 6 Strength, added 5 Accuracy and each Shiv was doing 15 damage. Before playing Terror.
For defense, I had After Image.

Earlier in the week, I ran an Ironclad to the top with a Wound strategy. Using Evolution, Wild Strike and the various "Exhaust all non-attack cards" to just put loads of wounds into the deck, then draw extra cards when they turned up and Exhaust them for bonus defense.

Naeddyr

two
Validated User
Just had a ridiculous run where I got Medical Kit from the store (first time I had it, it lets you exhaust status cards like Wounds, Dazes and Burns from your hand) and duplicated my Power Through+... Which gives 20 block for 1 energy and puts wounds in your hand.

Then when I saw that power that gives block when exhausting cards, hoooo.

Also had Demon Form and a Rampage and an accidental Blow That Can Be Upgraded Lots from a transform event.

Go suck a lemon, Time Eater.

JMobius

Deus Ex Vir
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I won on my second game with Ironclad. I'm still not entirely sure how, a lot of stumbling into great relics I suppose, though I don't remember what the key ones were.

Silent has proven considerably more challenging. While it can get some pretty great attacks, I haven't found its defensive powers or debuffing powers to scale as effectively.

beachnik

Man of Action!
Validated User
I won on my second game with Ironclad. I'm still not entirely sure how, a lot of stumbling into great relics I suppose, though I don't remember what the key ones were.

Silent has proven considerably more challenging. While it can get some pretty great attacks, I haven't found its defensive powers or debuffing powers to scale as effectively.
I find that both the Ironclad and the Silent can have a degree of inevitability in their kit. The Ironclad gets it via ever increasing strength from Demon Form, or Spot Weakness, or what have you. The Silent gets it mostly through either inflicting ever increasing amounts of poison to the enemy via Bouncing Flask, or Noxious Fumes (I think), or by increasing Dexterity to absurd heights and basically being unhurtable. That can mean that in fights where it's basically a race the Silent can suffer a bit, but Trump did a run where he got to such absurd quantities of Block that it kind of didn't matter what he was fighting after a point as he'd eventually just whittle them down.

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've had some pretty good Silent runs lately. I think I stand my assessment that she's a little better than Ironclad at winning with any old junk cobbled together into a deck, but the ceiling for crazy builds is higher than I thought it was.

Decks I've won with:
1) Poison. On my best run, I lucked into both Snecko Skull and Specimen -- the latter is more important, so it's really nice to be able to get it from an early boss fight, maybe before you fully commit to an archetype. Noxious Fumes and a copy of Catalyst is all the offense you really need (extra copies of Noxious don't hurt, though), but it's nice to have some single-target ramp as well to stack up faster on bosses. Envenom and Bouncing Flask are both good for this. I prefer Envenom, because chances are you've got a Dagger Spray, Bane, Cloak and Dagger or whatever else in your deck. Bouncing Flask is a lot of poison, but 2 energy and no aim isn't great. It does get significantly better with Snecko Skull, though.

Worst comes to worst, with just Noxious and no good relic support, you can still go super-defensive and have a decent shot at eventually grinding out a victory.

2) I Don't Know, Any Old Shit. Get some good defensive cards, maybe some of the two-in-ones like Dash. Get some Blur. Maybe value Noxious just to wipe off artifact charges for your weakness to work, and ... how the hell did this 'deck' win?

3) Thousand Cuts Shiv. Holy hell, this is good. I just got a win with a deck like this today, and it could've been much stronger with Shuriken or Kunai. In the end, I had some nice Power synergies (Frozen Egg, Bird-faced Urn, Thing What Makes Another Random Card Cost 0 When You Play a Power), and 2x Infinite Blades, 2x Thousand Cuts, 2x Accuracy, some value Caltrops (wouldn't have bothered without Thing What Makes, but with that relic, it was basically free), and then essentially a deck full of as many Cloak and Daggers as I could get, with some Blur, Backflip et al. Removed as many strikes as possible. It got to a point where I could reliably launch four+ 10-damage Shivs every turn while building defense, and every single thing I did caused 4 AOE damage. I ended up perfecting both Summony-Shaman-Boss and Donu and Deca.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that Cloak and Dagger is Silent's best card. With no relic synergy, it's still a Defend that has some free damage attached to it. Once you get anything that likes card spam (be it on-attack relics, Panache, Thousand Cuts, Envenom, etc.), it's superb. Obviously, it's king if you're actually building around Shivs and have stuff like Accuracy in your deck. Maybe the one downside is that it really wants an upgrade, and those can be scarce -- especially in the early game, where Silent may need to rest a bit more often.

Top Bottom