• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Slay the Spire] Have you Slain it? How?

flashedarling

Validated User
Bought this during summer Steam sale and it consumed my entire holiday weekend. I've had my eye on it for a while and I was correct that a rogue-like deck builder hits all the right notes for me. I've only just beaten it for the 3 classes and reached A2 with the Defect.

For the Defect the decks I found powerful were a frost focused deck and a power focused deck. The frost deck synergized with Inserter and Caliper relics, which meant I could keep most of my armor and hold the maximum number of orbs. I ended most fights with over 100 armor but they took a while.

A power focused deck with echo form and several copies of storms would end fights by the second turn. I very nearly killed the transient with it but was a couple hundred points shy. If I had the mummified hand I think I could have done it.

On the suggestion of this thread I've been watching northernlion videos and now I'm tempted to follow his lead and try to get the Minimalism achievement.

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Awesome! It's a great game.

In other news, they've announced that a fourth character is in the works. I don't think there's a time frame yet, but that's still good news.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I've been playing the better-made modded characters. A recent Sailor Moon mod is actually... highly enjoyable, if not very 'lore friendly' to the Spire.

Knaight

Validated User
I've been playing the better-made modded characters. A recent Sailor Moon mod is actually... highly enjoyable, if not very 'lore friendly' to the Spire.
Have you tried the Clockwork yet? It's still the best of the ones I've tried (the Slimebound was okay, the Bug Knight was okay, The Mystic was actually pretty solid if staggeringly lore unfriendly, I'm downloading The Senshi now) by a pretty large margin. It also feels like something that could be an actual class in the game.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Have you tried the Clockwork yet? It's still the best of the ones I've tried (the Slimebound was okay, the Bug Knight was okay, The Mystic was actually pretty solid if staggeringly lore unfriendly, I'm downloading The Senshi now) by a pretty large margin. It also feels like something that could be an actual class in the game.
I've played most of the non-jokey ones in English at this point. I think so far my favorites are the Servant (despite the Touhou background, she feels fairly natural for the Spire), Astrologer, and I'm pretty fond of the Marisa character as well.

I haven't decided if he goes in my permanent rotation, but Thorton is kind of a jokey one that seems like an interesting challenge. The joke there being a bank manager has somehow found themselves climbing the Spire. His basic cards are almost universally crappy, but many of his cards will earn money and he can scale, albeit in a less efficient way than the Ironclad. He's an interesting challenge character but unlike some of the other character mods it doesn't try to get too cutesy with weird new mechanics. (The main one is some cards say 'run', and if he plays enough he auto-runs from a combat, with a secondary one being Business Card/Investment; cards that don't do much else but play enough and you get a free relic.)

flashedarling

Validated User
Minimalist achievement.... achieved. And in 21 minutes so just shy of the speed run achievement too.

My Ironclad deck was Strike+/Defend+/Rampage+/Deep Breath+/Double Tap+.

It was incredible! Each turn I'd double tap, rampage, deep breath, rampage. For a total of 4 rampages per turn. By round 2 I was dealing over 100 damage per casting. Everything melted in front of me. The only problem was when enemies had lots of attacks in the first turn before I could get my engine rev'd. Since I never blocked it was a race to kill everything before I could take too much damage. Amazing glass cannon run, I'd recommend that deck any time.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got it from the Summer Sale and got so close to slaying the spire in my first Silent run. If I had had three more hitpoints I would have survived the last attack from the last boss, on the same turn that I would have killed it.

It was a mostly poison + turtling run. Unfortunately the card that doubles poison unlocked after that run. :confused:

Top Bottom