• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Slay the Spire] Have you Slain it? How?

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Got a key for this because a friend who gets Humble Monthly had a spare, and I'm having a blast. After failing at runs with the Ironclad and the Silent, I beat it on my second Defect run. O R B S

Now I've been trying to beat it with Silent. I got so incredibly close with a Shiv deck and relics that let me nova on the first turn (one turn strength boost, get three Shivs at the start of a combat, my tenth attack is doubled). Died to the final form of the Awakened One.

Lafing Cat

Amused Feline
Validated User
So I beat it with the Defect today - started out with the card that upgrades your entire deck as my bonus, and that, + grabbing some extra block cards (like the X and the + energy ones) took me to a win. Managed to pick up the relic that preserves all but 15 of your block each turn too, which helped a lot in some cases. Also the Meteor attack is hilarious when you have Echo + Necronomicon - 9 Fusion orbs ^^;

Tiran

Validated User
There's a new class in beta mode, the watcher.

Its basically a monk. It seems to revolve around cards that switch stances. The wrath stance makes you deal double damage but take double damage, and the calm stance seems to be built around energy/card efficiency as it has a lot of cards that make it draw cards, and cards that give energy back.

Pretty fun first run. I lost to the collector due to attrition in hallway fights, but I'd collected a devastating combo where I could deal like 60+ single target damage (in act 1!) in a turn quite easily. The wrath stance that one of your starter cards gives, sands of time (costs 4 initially, but retains and becomes cheaper every round), a power that makes retained cards cheaper (which stacks with sands of time's effect), and a card that deals damage and inflicts vulnerable if you use it after a skill.

Last edited:

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, the main issue is the Watcher is even fiddlier than the Defect, with few obvious 'easy' modes of play so far. Like, with Defect, you could just stack up frost orbs and have some kind of decent damage and get through a lot of fights.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Super fun class, I'm really digging it. It does feel like hard-mode Defect. Also, Sands of Time nukes are silly. Most of all, I'm having fun sequencing cards properly, since if you swap stances multiple times in a turn, you trigger a LOT of bonus energy from Calm.

The other gimmick is the Mantra status effect; when you hit 10 Mantra, you enter a stance called Divinity, which gives you +3 Energy and triple damage for a single turn, then goes away. Really wild if you've either set it up or saved up big bombs.

Oh, and there's more than a few cards that come with the Retain ability.

Another random beta thing:
Spoiler: Show
I noticed that sometimes, I have the chance to pick up a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald key. Is that a new thing? Is that a Watcher thing?

(Oh, and I've beaten the game with Silent and Ironclad so far.)

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Another random beta thing:
Spoiler: Show
I noticed that sometimes, I have the chance to pick up a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald key. Is that a new thing? Is that a Watcher thing?

(Oh, and I've beaten the game with Silent and Ironclad so far.)
That is in live. It's how you unlock Act 4 and the Heart of the Spire boss fight.

Knaight

Validated User
Super fun class, I'm really digging it. It does feel like hard-mode Defect. Also, Sands of Time nukes are silly. Most of all, I'm having fun sequencing cards properly, since if you swap stances multiple times in a turn, you trigger a LOT of bonus energy from Calm.

The other gimmick is the Mantra status effect; when you hit 10 Mantra, you enter a stance called Divinity, which gives you +3 Energy and triple damage for a single turn, then goes away. Really wild if you've either set it up or saved up big bombs.
Especially as if you can easily get +5 Energy if you go in with Calm. I just won with a deck that revolved around retained card burst damage on later rounds, with earlier rounds dealt with by virtue of a mix of retained defenses and plated armor (26 plated armor makes sticking around for a while a lot easier). The damage distribution was just weird. Sadly I didn't have Sands of Time, but there are other options.

Tiran

Validated User
I should probably go and try and beat act 4 with the original classes at some point. I managed to work my way up the ascension ranks all the way to A20 with the original classes but never actually beat act 4 with any of them.

Tiran

Validated User
Especially as if you can easily get +5 Energy if you go in with Calm. I just won with a deck that revolved around retained card burst damage on later rounds, with earlier rounds dealt with by virtue of a mix of retained defenses and plated armor (26 plated armor makes sticking around for a while a lot easier). The damage distribution was just weird. Sadly I didn't have Sands of Time, but there are other options.
Looks like they updated some of the watcher's cards. Had my first winning run with the watcher today. Anyway I'm starting to favor calm and divinity stance over wrath which seems initially impressive but I'm not sure how to make it into a viable long term strategy. You gotta be really careful with wrath stance, taking double damage is a huge drawback. It is really good at getting you through early floors

Now that I've played a few more rounds and actually won with the watcher I'm thinking Windmill strike is the better option over sands of time. It retains and accumulates damage rather than just getting cheaper. I had 4 in my winning run.

Also, The watcher is really freaking good at card draw. Like holy crap.

Top Bottom