• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Slay the Spire] Have you Slain it? How?

Tiran

Validated User
I keep getting sent straight to the boss by floor 37-39 with the defect, and only with the defect. Its weird. On the plus side, I managed to beat A4 with him. Now to try with the silent and defect.

I've been thinking and I think my problem is that I over-prepare for boss fights and under-prepare for regular fights. Having a lot of useful powers (echo form and creative AI are just incredible) works great in boss fights that last 8+ turns, but sucks when you draw nothing but powers and attacks when the regular enemy is hitting you for 30 damage this turn, and you're only 3 floors into the act.

The elites are a mixed bag. I try to plan my route so I don't have to fight them if I'm not feeling confident, but you really need the relics they give, so being too risk-averse when it comes to elites is a good way to lose the run.

Last edited:

Dragonlover

Validated User
I'm on Ascension 15/11/13 with nearly 400 hours in the game and I can confirm, things get nuts. I tend to find I plateau for a while, then I'll win a handful of runs in a row.

If you're looking to get better at the game, I can't recommend a Youtuber called joinrbs enough. Especially if you've got three hours or so to spare, in which case watch one of his "Overexplain" runs. Dude knows what he's talking about, even if his approach is a bit alien to me at times. I also enjoy DolphinChemist as his playstyle more closely matches mine.

On Snecko Eye: the only time I would never take it is if I'm rocking a really sweet 0-cost Defect deck. Even then, I probably have All for One, which is nuts with the Eye because the randomised costs stick around in the graveyard. The Eye draws you two extra cards, and on average it will ramp you more often than it screws you.

Finally, if you're looking to just blow off some steam, try a custom run with Sealed, Hoarder and Vintage. You'll start with a tailored 30 card deck and pick up a shit ton of relics, it's basically un-loseable.

Dragonlover

Tiran

Validated User
Corruption: I seriously underestimated this. By itself, i hate its effect (exhausting your block cards? Ew, no thanks.), but combined with relics like charon's ash and dead branch, and cards like dark embrace and fiend fire and you basically just cycle through your deck and do a crap-ton of damage to everything. I beat slime boss without splitting him.

My only regret was not finding feel no pain. I had it as a random draw from dead branch a few times, and its basically just a you win button at that point.

Then I picked up a runic pyramid, and oh my god.

Youtube: Yeah, joinrbs is a good source of advice. I like his explainations of stuff, even if he's a bit dry to listen to. I found him by mistake when looking for northernlion's stuff (i've watched some of NL's xcom videos in the past)

Last edited:

Reeze

Zombie Penguin.
Validated User
Ascension: I'm sure A20 is ridiculous, given the state of things at A9.

Sneko Eye: I've generally found it to be almost useless in almost every situation; it's good with a deck I tend not to have. The one exception is the random boss relic starting condition, where you build your deck around Snecko Eye from the beginning. There it's just amazing, particularly as the various iffy cards for a lot of damage for 3 energy go from iffy to incredible when they start coming in cheap.
Speaking as someone who goes for A20 heart kills, and chaining these... Snecko Eye is bar none the most powerful relic in the game in (nearly) all cases. It's stupid strong - 2 card draw a turn for nothing is amazing. Confusion is a non-factor generally - You stop caring about energy upgrades, you generally dont need energy relics anymore, your strikes and defends are no longer quite so horrible since they often turn up for zero. Your X cost cards grow in value, etcera.

It's a freaking ridiculous relic. it's only bad if you're relying on playing specific cards for very specific costs. (Such as a 0 cost defect deck). Plus all three classes have a way to break it's energy mechanic - Corruption for Ironclad, Bullet Time for Silent, and Meteor Strike for Defect.

Relics with comparable levels of power include stuff like Mummified Hand, Gambling Chip, Dead Branch.

A second point to raise: Someone mentioned up thread that you need more than 3 energy to beat act 2 and 3. This is just not true (Sorry! Not trying to call you out! It's a common misconception i see a lot). Energy is great, and 4 energy is really nice to have. But i've won plenty of runs on 3 energy. There's a ton of ways to break the energy economy in your favour, or draft decks that simply dont need more than 3 energy per turn to do whatever they're trying to do.

Like here's an example silent deck that crushed the heart and everything else in the game without relying on an energy relic.
Spoiler: Show

It just didn't need 4 energy for what it was trying to do. (And i checked. Runic Dodecahedron was active in exactly one fight: The a4 elite. That uh, that didn't last.)

Perhaps a better way to put this: 4 energy just lets you play more cards per turn, as a rule of thumb. You want to instead be making each points of energy you use up have as much impact as possible.

This is one other big piece of advice i'd give to anyone trying to Topple the Tower. Dont draft for archtypes. Draft good cards. Good cards are cards that help you achieve the most important goal: How do i get past the next <x>. IT could be the next floor. It could be the next boss. It could be an elite. It can be whatever. Getting good at the game is about identifying how you can be strong, and how you can get that strength online before the tower topples you instead. Most importantly: Good cards change from run to run. Relics, how you've drafted... The game shifts, and you have to shift in tune with it.

I hope this all makes sense and is useful!

Tiran

Validated User
A second point to raise: Someone mentioned up thread that you need more than 3 energy to beat act 2 and 3. This is just not true (Sorry! Not trying to call you out! It's a common misconception i see a lot). Energy is great, and 4 energy is really nice to have. But i've won plenty of runs on 3 energy. There's a ton of ways to break the energy economy in your favour, or draft decks that simply dont need more than 3 energy per turn to do whatever they're trying to do.
That was me. I've softened on that point somewhat since I said it. I do think the game is significantly harder if you don't have some way of getting more than 3 energy. It doesn't need to literally be every turn. Its definitely less true with the defect since it has several cards that generate energy without need of a relic.

Like here's an example silent deck that crushed the heart and everything else in the game without relying on an energy relic.
Spoiler: Show

It just didn't need 4 energy for what it was trying to do. (And i checked. Runic Dodecahedron was active in exactly one fight: The a4 elite. That uh, that didn't last.)
... You had the gremlin horn. That gives you an energy and a card every time you kill something. I've called that out as my favorite energy relic along with ice cream. That helps on a significant number of fights per run. Its really good against bosses and elites that feature multiple enemies as well as normal fights (which is important because it keeps you at higher health to take on more elites). Admittedly, it doesn't directly help in every fight, but I find it helps keep a deck throughout the act and puts you on a stronger playing field at the boss even if you're fighting someone like time eater where it doesn't come into play.

Reeze

Zombie Penguin.
Validated User
... You had the gremlin horn. That gives you an energy and a card every time you kill something. I've called that out as my favorite energy relic along with ice cream. That helps on a significant number of fights per run. Its really good against bosses and elites that feature multiple enemies as well as normal fights (which is important because it keeps you at higher health to take on more elites). Admittedly, it doesn't directly help in every fight, but I find it helps keep a deck throughout the act and puts you on a stronger playing field at the boss even if you're fighting someone like time eater where it doesn't come into play.
Fair point! Sorry, in the parlance i'm used to - 4 energy is referring to having one of the boss relics that gives you a constant fourth/fifth energy every turn.

I'd say honestly though, Gremlin Horn was a non-event in this deck. It was picked up off the first A3 elite (Reptomancer on floor 41), and literally only saw use against a second Reptomancer, Awoken One and A4 elites. Those were the only fights it was actually able to do anything - It was literally only active and relevant on floor 48, 50 and 54. and of those, Reptomancer is the only one it really makes a difference for - Though, First time through, 8 damage/6 turns, second time through, 7 damage/5 turns. Suspect Pen Nib & Boot vs Nemesis did more for the deck, honestly.

Far more relevant to the deck would be Lantern, which gave it 4 energy on it's most important turn - turn 1. Like the good thing this deck is doing is finding ways to create lots of shivs, shivs hit like hammers and become new cards, which then can get upgraded by Warped Tongs, all on the back of rich defensive suite and kunai to generate Dex. Oh, and it's 4 backstabs plus because apparently i was going hard on the MURDER train.

Twin Alchemizes are also potent in the deck, because potions are stronk. Turn 1 having 4 energy get Infinite Blades into play and then anything else needed to help setup was a big deal.

Consistently having 4 energy every turn is just not relevant for this deck, because it's found powerful ways to do what it needs with 3 energy.

Dragonlover

Validated User
Managed to break my streak of terrible runs yesterday and got to Asc 12 on the Silent! Found a Shuriken early enough that I could pivot into Shivs, then Act 1 Pandora's Box gave me a decent enough roll that nothing really troubled me afterwards. Got the Mind Bloom event just before the final boss as well for extra punch.

Dragonlover

Tiran

Validated User
Nice. I'm at A7 for defect and A6 for the other two now. I'm a bit burned on the game for awhile though.

LordofArcana

Validated User
I just beat my first run with a bullet time silent. I got very lucky with card removal and was able to draw basically my entire deck every turn. Acrobatics + Bullet Time was very powerful.

Tiran

Validated User
I wasn't as burned out on the game as i thought. I'm up to A8 with all 3 classes now.

I just beat my first run with a bullet time silent. I got very lucky with card removal and was able to draw basically my entire deck every turn. Acrobatics + Bullet Time was very powerful.
Congrats. My wins with Silent tend to come from stacking poison.

Top Bottom