• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sleepless Domain: "the number one post-madoka double reverse reconstructionist deconstruction hopepunk magical girl webcomic"

Shay Guy

Validated User
Sleepless Domain: "the number one post-madoka double reverse reconstructionist deconstruction hopepunk magical girl webcomic"

Decided to give this one its own thread much like several other webcomics have -- it's been generating enough discussion in the general webcomic thread to warrant it. Thread title comes from a tongue-in-cheek description that Mary Cagle, the cartoonist (also known for Kiwi Blitz and the autobiographical Let's Speak English), posted on Twitter.

Oh, it's better than that. Kokoro swears by "the founder" but conspiracy theorist dude swears by "Jesus Christ"... and Undine has no idea who he's talking about. Makes it almost certain he's somehow from outside the barrier.
Looking back at chapter 5, he uses "Jesus" as an interjection, but we don't see Undine react to it. Interstitial 3, assuming its his writing, makes it pretty much explicit with "Locals barely care" and "Rained tonight. No clouds. Doesn't make any damned sense. I hate this place."

The big questions this invites, of course, are "how" and "why". I suspect Attack on Titan was nearly as big an influence on SD as Madoka and other magical girl shows, but that doesn't tell us much -- especially since Mark was introduced well after AoT established the existence of characters from outside the walls, but before we got a clear picture of the outside world. (And even if it weren't so, Cagle's a skilled enough writer to chop her mashup ingredients finely.)

Some possibilities:
A) There aren't any monsters outside the Great Barrier, and the outside humans are kinda freaked by this city that's shut itself off from the rest of the world.
B) Humanity mostly survives in small enclaves, but something about this one is different.
C) Something in-between, with monsters and humans struggling to control territory.

In any event, I don't think the timeline maps neatly onto our own in a "timeline diverges when monsters show up in 19XX CE" way, if only because of Roman numerals being used for things like telephone numbers. Also, the wiki claims that none of the city's TV is live, which... huh?

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Sleepless Domain: "the number one post-madoka double reverse reconstructionist deconstruction hopepunk magical girl webco

Oh, that's the Cube Watermelon one. I'd followed her comics about being an English teacher in Japan, but hadn't gotten around to checking out that comic. A description like that puts it at the top of my webcomics-to-archive-binge list.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Re: Sleepless Domain: "the number one post-madoka double reverse reconstructionist deconstruction hopepunk magical girl webco

Oh, that's the Cube Watermelon one. I'd followed her comics about being an English teacher in Japan, but hadn't gotten around to checking out that comic. A description like that puts it at the top of my webcomics-to-archive-binge list.
I like it a lot. Not a whole lot I can say without spoiling the plot, but It's obvious she's put a lot of thought into how everything in the story works.

TemerousNox

Validated User

I really enjoy reading this webcomic, and have occasionally thought about running a game in this setting, because it's just such an evocative world.

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I really enjoy reading this webcomic, and have occasionally thought about running a game in this setting, because it's just such an evocative world.
Likewise. This is a great comic, and if I had a group of players who'd be down for magical girls, I'd run a game of it in a heartbeat.

Perhaps someday. For now, I shall enjoy the comic.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User

It's definitely on my list of favourite web comics, and I happily anticipate new pages each week.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User

The recent discussion about the history of the city has got me thinking about how many other magical girl stories are set in some kind of magically isolated region. It's not common, but it might be more frequent than for fantasy/sf in general - I can think of at least three magical girl anime that also use this kind of setting. It's a secret twist in all three, though:

Spoiler: Show
Princess Tutu
Madoka Magica: Rebellion
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero

The last one of those is the one that I'd say is most similar to Sleepless Domain, but I do know (from seeing her talk about it on Twitter) that Cagle didn't watch it until well after SD was underway.

Are there any others?

Shay Guy

Validated User

The recent discussion about the history of the city has got me thinking about how many other magical girl stories are set in some kind of magically isolated region. It's not common, but it might be more frequent than for fantasy/sf in general - I can think of at least three magical girl anime that also use this kind of setting. It's a secret twist in all three, though:

Spoiler: Show
Princess Tutu
Madoka Magica: Rebellion
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero

The last one of those is the one that I'd say is most similar to Sleepless Domain, but I do know (from seeing her talk about it on Twitter) that Cagle didn't watch it until well after SD was underway.

Are there any others?
I've only seen the first two, but I notice both of them are cases where the protagonist realizes her and her friends' imprisonment over the course of the story and has to figure out how to respond to that realization, rather than the SD setup where "we are under siege" is a widely accepted fact of life.

In fact, thinking about it, I wonder how much of that is those two taking influence from Utena. Similarly Gnostic-ish.

Last edited:

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User

I've only seen the first two, but I notice both of them are cases where the protagonist realizes her and her friends' imprisonment over the course of the story and has to figure out how to respond to that realization, rather than the SD setup where "we are under siege" is a widely accepted fact of life.
The third one varies depending on which of the stories in that universe you're looking at.

But even in SD... like, there's a difference between the situation being a normalized background thing, and the protagonists actually thinking about it. Gradually moving from the first to the second, as SD has been doing, isn't ultimately all that different than having them be unaware of it at the start.

In fact, thinking about it, I wonder how much of that is those two taking influence from Utena. Similarly Gnostic-ish.
That did occur to me! Yuri Kuma Arashi is somewhere in that region, too.

I suppose that stumbling over the edge of an isolated idiosyncratic society is an element that fits naturally into coming-of-age stories, particularly ones that veer towards horror. And magical girls already have a certain liminal element, operating in a space beyond the reach of the rest of society, away from any standard authority. These things are easy to mix together. :)

SD integrates its magical girls with the rest of their society to a very unusual degree, veering away from other magical girl stories, but even here you get things like Undine's mom saying it's not her place to tell a magical girl what to do. They're still positioned as the sole authorities of the magical battlefield.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User

This discussion makes me wonder if/when we'll see the edge of the city. I expect some level of flat-earthers, who apparebtly believe the world is surrounded by ice walls guarded by spoooky Men In Black

Top Bottom