• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sleepless Domain: "the number one post-madoka double reverse reconstructionist deconstruction hopepunk magical girl webcomic"

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel like Rue's is more chemical than plant or growth, but chemical fertilizers are a thing.
Rue's observed powers have more of a chemical theme than plant-based. But her name and colors, on the other hand...
Yes, this. I assume Rue's powers started as a plant growth sort of thing, but she adapted her powers into a "fertilizer bomb." (Which is a real thing. That terrorists use. Cube, WHY??!!) Rue's powers seem to me to be based around plant growth and alchemy (don't forget she also has healing potions), and the bomb throwing thing is just the most visible and flashy part of her kit.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
What's the evidence for Rue having any plant connection at all, vs. just being an alchemist?

shikomekidomi

Validated User
Yes, this. I assume Rue's powers started as a plant growth sort of thing, but she adapted her powers into a "fertilizer bomb." (Which is a real thing. That terrorists use. Cube, WHY??!!) Rue's powers seem to me to be based around plant growth and alchemy (don't forget she also has healing potions), and the bomb throwing thing is just the most visible and flashy part of her kit.
Well, you can assume it but I don't see it in the text at all, personally. Other than being green, which is a color often associated with magic potions, they're not particularly plant-like in any respect, and that includes being able to make healing potions.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Rue's symbol is an explosion wearing a witch's hat.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
What's the evidence for Rue having any plant connection at all, vs. just being an alchemist?
The only plant association I'm aware of is her name. Which is a plant associated with witchcraft, hence the whole witch theme she has going.

Ivy

it's not easy being easy
Validated User
I think people assumed she had plant powers because the chapter is called "Fertilizer" and initially seemed to be just about her, and haven't really adjusted that assumption even though now we know it's also about another girl who actually does have plant powers. That and her name and color scheme would fit well with plant powers, though they don't necessarily indicate it on their own.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I think people assumed she had plant powers because the chapter is called "Fertilizer" and initially seemed to be just about her, and haven't really adjusted that assumption even though now we know it's also about another girl who actually does have plant powers. That and her name and color scheme would fit well with plant powers, though they don't necessarily indicate it on their own.
Yeah, I was assuming plant-related powers well before this chapter started on grounds of being green and named Rue.

EDIT: But literally nothing we've seen her do since transforming supported that, it's true. It actually also doesn't make her out to be an alchemist, really - her potions seem conjured on demand, not concocted in advance.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
Fertilizer and explosives are both substances that inherently possess relatively easy-to-release chemical energy, so there's overlap there. Witches are strongly associated with plants, too. It makes sense that Rue's and Zoe's powers could synchronize well.

Top Bottom