• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sleepless Domain: "the number one post-madoka double reverse reconstructionist deconstruction hopepunk magical girl webcomic"

DrZombie

Dead and loving it
Validated User
Maybe I should have just said it was a trope in superhero comics for them (the non-flying ones anyway) to use their cape as a parachute when falling. But Batman is probably the main one who does this.
I didn't mean to cause any offense, I just wanted to clear the air about what Cube herself said about it.

dtilque

Validated User
I didn't mean to cause any offense, I just wanted to clear the air about what Cube herself said about it.
I didn't take any offense, but you need to distinguish between the Watsonian and Doylist answers. Mine was Watsonian and yours was Doylist. These usually don't conflict with each other, just view the same thing from a different perspectives.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
I didn't take any offense, but you need to distinguish between the Watsonian and Doylist answers. Mine was Watsonian and yours was Doylist. These usually don't conflict with each other, just view the same thing from a different perspectives.
I'm pretty sure "the author wanted her cape to open like a flower" is also a Watsonian Doylist explanation.

But, eh, it's really hard to nail down inspirations for things, because frequently you're inspired subconsciously by stuff you saw years ago that's been kicking around in the back of your head.

EDIT: Whoops, typed the wrong one there.

Last edited:

not a pumpkin

Validated User
Doctor Watson is the character.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the writer.

Explanation A, The Watsonian/within the narrative/"In Character" explanation is that the character (Zoe) is using her cape to slow her fall.

Explanation B, The Doylist/outside the narrative/"Out Of Character" explanation is that the writer (Cube) wanted a scene where Zoe's cape billows out and looks like a flower, so she wrote the scene in such a way that Zoe doing this would make sense within the context of the narrative.

These explanations do not contradict each other, they can both be true, so saying "no, A isn't true because I have proof of B" makes no sense and a bit confusing.

Kelton

Son of Excluded middle
Validated User
I really like the IC/OOC distinction, more intuitive than Watsonian and Doylist here on elfgames forum. Even though I know the terms, I always confuse the two.

Ivy

it's not easy being easy
Validated User
Not sure what the Watson/Doyle thing has to do with this. "The author wanted Zoe's cape to open like a flower" and "the author was influenced by other billowing-cape-descent artwork such as Batman" are both Doylist, and both seem obviously true.

dtilque

Validated User
Have beaten the Watsonian/Doylist argument to death yet?

How about we concetrate on the important issues, like what name the Zoe/Rue team will have. How about Blossom Blast? Would that be better or worse than Team Flower Power?

Last edited:

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Have beaten the Watsonian/Doylist argument to death yet?

How about we concetrate on the important issues, like what name the Zoe/Rue team will have. How about Blossom Blast? Would that be better or worse than Team Flower Power?
Look, coming up with ship names is one of Bud's few pleasures left. Why do you want to take away her screentime?

Top Bottom