• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So it’s official, SLA Industries v2 is coming

Shep

Validated User
Secondly it mentions saving melee skill ranks to defend with. But also says if you didn’t save any, you can still defend but the penalty applies to next turn. So lets say I have 4 melee skill, I attack on my turn and choose to save 2 melee skill to defend with. Then when I am attacked in melee on my turn which of the following are true. (Page 12)

A) I defend for 2 and have no penalty next turn
B) I defend for 2 and have a 2 skill penalty next turn.

Also, if A is true, can I also choose to spend the skill from next turn?
C) I defend for 2, then spend an additional 2 skill for a total defense of 4 and a 2 skill penalty next turn.
D) I defend for 2, then spend an additional 4 skill for a total defense of 6 and a 4 skill penalty next turn.
E) You can’t double dip at all.
This has highlighted a bit of a niggle in the Quick Start - a hang over from an initial draft of the system that was 'fixed', but some terminology has remained which has made this more complicated than it needs to be. I've already revised it for the full rules, but that was not carried over here. I'll ensure this is all bought in line for when we re-issue the beta.

Thanks for raising this question and highlighting this for me!

kustenjaeger

Validated User
I think the real issue here is timescale - the 5 second combat turn is obviously too long but so is a 3 second one - with distances for movement and the number of actions it is more like a second or so (walking at 4.5kph gives about 1.4m per second). This gives scant time for anything but instant reactions.

Regards

Edward

Shep

Validated User
I’m not sure it’s the ‘real issue’, but clearly it’s a concern that has been raised by two or three people. The feedback has been noted and will be discussed.

Thanks.

kustenjaeger

Validated User
Apologies if ‘real issue’ seemed trite - I was only referring to the actions within the combat turn. However I have had games adversely affected by the time/distance ratios being obviously off - to the extent of having to recast the movement rules of a game for the players to accept it. There’s always going to need to be abstraction of some sort.

Regards

Edward

Shep

Validated User
Understood.

The situation at hand here is that as a roleplay game there are some things that just can’t represent real life without becoming overly complex. What we’re doing is what every RPG does in some capacity; either stretching or reducing the time impact of certain events to allow things to happen without paralysis of the entire system.

As an example - we’ve settled on 3 second rounds and within that round everyone acts once, from a list of actions. Some of those things could be done in less than 3 seconds, like moving 1m or pulling a trigger. Some of those things may take longer than 3 seconds, like grabbing your injector and firing up on drugs, throwing a grenade and waiting for it to land and explode, or reloading a large heavy weapon.

If we want to inject realism then the solution puts us very close to the (widely disliked) phases and rounds of 1st Ed, and we say this action takes 1 combat round, this action takes 2, this one 3, etc. This results in rounds where people don’t act, much more downtime in the game and generally a clunkier game system, which isn’t worth the cost in realism.

The current move values are only really apparent in a combat situation and were designed to represent tactical movement, not walking down the street unhindered, as such the 1.4m/second which you and google quote as the average human walking speed, is not a fair comparison. It is fair however, to say that a human could move more than 1m in 3 seconds, but to allow all possible actions to fall into place during a 1 round, 1 action system, these numbers made the most sense.

The overall concept is that the ‘walk’ value is only commonly considered when taking attack actions. It represents taking a stride or two forwards when pulling the trigger or striking a target. Effectively this makes it a ‘move a few steps and attack in 3 seconds’ package deal.

The ‘run’ value is based on just moving about under the duress of combat, and for humans than equates to 1m per second. Maybe this would feel better to you if walk and run were renamed to ‘rate 1’ and ‘rate 2’, or ‘move’ and ‘rush’, allowing them to be better compared to what they actually represent?

Hope all that helps give some insight into why the values are what they are.

Regards,

Shep

kustenjaeger

Validated User
Shep

Thanks for the rationale - very helpful. Design is always a balancing act and I agree that rounds where people don’t act generally doesn’t make for a good game experience.

Regards

Edward

WordForge

Validated User
The new race:

SLA 2nd Edition welcomes the Neophron into The World of Progress. With their inquisitive minds, natural charm and diplomatic nature, the avian humanoids have provided investigative skills to the Operative role, far beyond those previously accessible to SLA Industries.

“No, I am not a Wraithen. You may however refer to me as Neophron: we go by many names but that will suffice for the moment. Now, our friend here - he was seemingly killed with a one handed blade, except that this particular injury is non-fatal, based on the depth of the puncture wound and limited blood loss. I hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty of obtaining a blood sample. There was a touch of discolouration around the injury, so it seemed likely that the blade was coated in White Queen: which I found to be correct.

White Queen Lichen is only found in Cannibal Sector 1, so it had to have been shipped into Mort City. I checked local Shiver reports and discovered that a squad of 9th Division defectors had been slain recently and that White Queen Lichen capsules had been listed on their private manifest.
We should look for any cult symbols or paraphernalia pertaining to the Raw Head religious order. There is another fellow in the master bedroom whom has had his left leg amputated post mortem, which is I suspect is tonight’s dinner for our murderer.

How can I be certain? Well, if you have full collection of the facts in this crime you’ll discover it’s elementary, my good chap.” - Tarak Harakhebi, Neophron Operative, SCL 8c, squad ‘Perfect Gallows’.

Find out more about the history, attitude and style of the Neophron in SLA Industries 2nd Edition, coming to Kickstarter on September 17th.

The ‘head shot’ art for this new(ish) race can be found on the QuickStart.

nikink

Rampant Green
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like them, but it's still weird they don't wear helmets. Absolute death sentence, going by 1e anyway. :)

Shep

Validated User
I like them, but it's still weird they don't wear helmets. Absolute death sentence, going by 1e anyway. :)
They do wear helmets, but not all manufacturers currently make helmets that fit their heads, so options are limited until the armour industry catch up :)

EventHorizon

Validated User
any chance we could get 4 or 5 city-dwelling enemies to use with the Quickstart material? I’d like to run another BPN or two with my table, see if more familiarity with the system would lead to a better experience. But it’d be good to have some reasonable enemies to throw at them rather than home grown guys that may or may not be good representations of the system

Top Bottom