So, I've started writing a post apocalypse game

Gavin Lucan

Grumpy Old Man
Validated User
Hey all,

So, I'm currently in the early stages of writing a post apocalypse LARP and was hoping for advice. It's my first atttempt at an ongoing game, so I'm a bit nervous and starting to realize how much work I'm in for. Still, I was needing something to do while I'm unemployed, so this will do the trick.

It'll be set and running in my neck of the woods (Sydney, Australia)*, mostly cause I though that since I can't do a full blown Mad Max game, then Dropbears seemed the next best thing. (This also resulted in a friend of mine saying I've invented Tank Girl: The LARP.) It seemed to spring from the idea of leading players into the woods to be ambushed by crew in bloodstained Koala onesies, something which made me laugh far more than it should have. You may laugh, but the noise of an angry koala is fucking terrifying.

Given the lack of blasted desert wastelands near me, I'm opting for a 'the forests grew over the cities of man' vibe. I'm working from the base assumption that 'something' happened to blast the world - I'm thinking a virus, possibly biological warfare gone wrong. Society decayed, with a chunk of the rich and powerful sealing themselves off and leaving the rest to rot. It's now been 40-50 years after (I don't plan to state when things went to hell or exactly how, to allow for things like cybernetics and mutants to crop up later) - society is a mix of those from the arcs, small camps of those who grew up in the forests and packs of maurading raiders. (I'm assuming there'll be more groups, but that's what I've got so far.) Most technology has failed, firearms still exist etc.

I'm still bashing around ideas for themes - beer based economies (I don't drink booze myself, but this is Australia...), hospitality being a big thing around settlements (To reference the Neighbours theme) and whether rivalries between settlements are dealt with by a sporting contest rather than bloodshed (Maybe Jugger?). Staring game wqould be based around a small settlement - having somewhere to start rather than PC's arriving at random seemed the better was to go.

As for system, the plan is to start rules-light and work from there. The initial thought is everyone starts with the same amount of HP, then you get a number of points to buy perks and flaws.

I've been looking at a few of the bigger games (World Went Dark and Dystopia Rising) for inspiration, but I'm looking for more of a sense of humour than those games have. Any hints, what not to do's or places to look at would be appreciated. Thanks!

* ALso, there's no other post apoc games running in the area, so I'm filling a niche and aren't stepping on anyone elses toes.

coeli

Persisting, somehow
Validated User
I have no useful input, never having played or run a similar style of game (and not being Australian), but it sounds like a great starting point!

Casidhe

Social Justice Magus
Validated User
Sounds really good to me. I've only recently played in my first post-apoc game (Arkfall, based on the Defiance TV show), and the only things I can think of off the top of my head are a little petty:

- torches really screw up people's night vision, and its a lot more atmospheric if they are red lights, or flickery and not completely reliable
- nettles are a bugger to get "knocked out" into, especially if any of your players don't know what they are. The poor Canadian on the crew was very confused at the rash on her arm after one fight. (and I'm guessing you probably have worse vegetation to deal with)

Gavin Lucan

Grumpy Old Man
Validated User
Thanks for the good thoughts and feedback! :)

I'm currently putting the project on hold as I've a con game to finish, but I'll be back to it in early October. I'll hopefully be posting updates here.

Matt-M-McElroy

What Are You Afraid Of?
Validated User
Thanks for the good thoughts and feedback! :)

I'm currently putting the project on hold as I've a con game to finish, but I'll be back to it in early October. I'll hopefully be posting updates here.
What is the current status of the project? Would love to hear more about it when you get a chance.

-MMM

Gavin Lucan

Grumpy Old Man
Validated User
What is the current status of the project? Would love to hear more about it when you get a chance.

-MMM
Alas, not much. It's currently on hold owing to the result of the American election - it felt a bit too raw to be writing a game who's apocalypse begins partially because of an arrogant and terrified American president. I'm not abandoning it, but planning to pick it up in a few months, probably around the end of the year. I'm currently writing a Conan the Barbarian style game to replace it. I got permission to use the Hyborian Tales rules set from it's author and am location scouting tomorrow night.

Top Bottom