So...TotalCon, sexism and safety at the convention

PST

Validated User
TotalCon, also called TotalConfusion is a Gaming convention in New England that claims to have 20 years of experience 'bringing great gaming moments to players in the New England area and beyond'

Here's TotalCon's guest of honour list

http://www.totalcon.com/industry-guests.php

Of the 25 guests of honour, all 25 are men. Which, you know, even in a slanted industry, still looks a little weird. Could they not think to invite a single woman, trans or non-binary person to be a guest of honour?

Apparently not.

But then as you delve deeper, you see they invited Bill Webb.

Now, Bill Webb is known for many things as a guest of honour. Getting drunk, assaulting women, assaulting convention staff who try and stop him, pursuing his victim through the convention and showing little remorse for his actions afterwards (In fact Frog God posted a mocking and insensitive blog post after the accusations went viral). Bill Webb recently stepped down as a GoH from 'Gary Con' because of the awareness of his actions. But not here. Here he's still being recognised and, presumably, supported in attending.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?4613-Harassment-At-PaizoCon-2017

(More links available)

This is largely an FYI for those attending in the future (as it took place last week), Webb has a history, it's not a one-off event, and you might want to consider why a convention is only interested in having male guests of honour.

Last edited:

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
22 white guys, 1 Asian, 2 African American.
Wow. That's really representative of the industry alright. {/snark]
At least they posted pictures so you can pick Webb out of a crowd.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
It's a shame I'm not in New England so that I can intentionally avoid this convention as opposed to just not being in the area. What a shitshow.

PST

Validated User
So did something happened over the weekend?
Not that I know of. But a convention not having a single non-male guest of honour (outr of 25, 25, this isn't a couple of GOH, as a con i'm attending in 2 weeks has, this is 25 guests of honour) should be pointed at. And inviting a known assaulter and harasser should be pointed at. Otherwise how does anything change?

Sure, it would have been better if this had come to light x weeks ago and gone viral then, but maybe this will lead to pressure being put on them to do better in the future. Or maybe it will be ignored, but I know I've stuck it in my diary to take a look in 8-9 months and see if they've done anything, as well as emailing them and a number of their sponsors about it.

Pyromancer

Validated User
Of the 25 guests of honour, all 25 are men. Which, you know, even in a slanted industry, still looks a little weird. Could they not think to invite a single woman, trans or non-binary person to be a guest of honour?
Perhaps they invited some, but they all declined?

PST

Validated User
Perhaps they invited some, but they all declined?
They claim to have invited 2, one of which being Margaret Weiss to 'see if they were interested in attending', no idea on what terms were offered, if they were the same as other GoHs or whatever.

I don't think inviting 2 out of a potential 27 is any way representative or anything but sexism.

This wasn't an accident, they just didn't think about it.

Edit, also seriously, the defence of 'maybe they invited people but they all declined' when they had 25 all male guests of honour? Would that fly for anything else? How is that in any way a reasonable defence even as a hypothetical?

Fistful Of Dice

...and a poor attitude.
Validated User
TotalCon, also called TotalConfusion is a Gaming convention in New England that claims to have 20 years of experience 'bringing great gaming moments to players in the New England area and beyond'

Here's TotalCon's guest of honour list

http://www.totalcon.com/industry-guests.php

That sure is a whole lot of Old White Dudes.

Doctor Futurity

Camazotz the Death Bat
Validated User
Not sure if I am supposed to edit or not, but I'm going to because my original comment was caustic and nasty but driven by the fact that I don't really agree with the OP so a self attack on old men (of which I am one) was more like a self-effacing counter measure to make off comments. I don't actually have any issues with this convention and the OP's original intent bothers the shit out of me. I do not, generally, feel like I can actually voice my opinions and/or feeling in threads like this, however but others have done so with more courage than I, so I am doing so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom