• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So whatcha playing? - A Thread For Chit-Chatting About Whatever Game(s) We're Playing At The Moment

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
FYI!!! SPOILERS THROUGHOUT THIS THREAD, I IMAGINE! SPOILERS! WARNING! SPOILERS! :D

Howdy! Hope you're having a good day and that you've got some good gaming going on. Here's a thread for chit-chatting about the game(s) we're playing that don't perhaps merit a thread of their own.

Personally, I'm in the middle of my umpteenth playthrough of the Mass Effect Trilogy, except this time I'm doing it on PC!

See, I slowly gathered all the pieces over time, as various bits and bobs went on sale, and I finally managed to accrue all three games and all the DLC I wanted to use. A little bit ago, I did some research and identified the mods I wanted to use, and had everything set aside for a rainy day. Well, the rainy day finally came, and I started with a modded ME1 and went from there.

Except...it ends up that I've apparently played my fill of ME1 on the XBox. Hah! See, I played it three times just to get my primary Shepard's save state perfect for ME2. And then I played it at least six or seven more times for various other playthroughs, most of which never got to the end. So while I've only played ME2 and 3 about 2-3 times each, I kind of overdid it with ME1.

So this time through, I got half-way through ME1 and decided I couldn't do it again, so I just went and found a ME1 end-game save state that matched what I would have done as best as I could, imported it into ME2, and away I went!

ME2 was great fun, and my run was pretty much flawless in terms of quest timing, and it did feel pretty sweet to do Shadow Broker and then Arrival after the suicide mission for the first time. Quick question, has anyone ever managed to resist backstabbing that mercenary working on the gunship, in the Archangel mission? No matter how Paragon my Shepard may be, they all take that Renegade prompt, every time. Because I am weak.

After approximately six hours of prep getting the mods to work, I started my ME3 playthrough on Saturday, and have been having lots of fun. I didn't use any of the mods that substantially change the ending(s), so I'll be going with the vanilla Extended Cut versions, which is fine by me. Unlike so many folks, I actually had no issues with the original ending that I got. In any case, this time through, I am already debating which I'll choose, even though I'm still in the first act of ME3 and have plenty of time to make up my mind. Should be fun!

Other games on my plate right now are mainly palate cleansers and "I've got 5 minutes to kill" pick-up and play games, nothing worth talking about. Eventually, I'll get back to my Ni No Kuni 2 game and actually finish it, and I've got my eye on DQXI, hoping I can be strong enough to wait for a sale on that one.

So, what have y'all been playing? Let's chat!

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just finished off my first time through Final Fantasy XV. (That's the one with the four dudes and the car.)

I enjoyed it, and felt the ending was adequately foreshadowed and all, nice bit of traditional Japanese stoically weepy suicide idolization, but damn were the warts in the design process visible. The first half of the game and the second half of the game are entirely different in structure and style, glued together desperately at the last minute. Very, very pretty, but still a little frustrating.

My second biggest gripe is that there is not nearly enough costume customization. Like, not any. This is a game about four J-pop hunks! I should be able to load them down with all the glorious clothing in the land! Matching souvenir T-shirts! All the outfits worn by Duran Duran in their videos and album covers! References to every past Final Fantasy game! And, to go with a villain who dresses like the Fourth Doctor, all the outfits from the other Doctors! I mean, come on, Squeenix, surely you know the gamers' lust for custom hats is never sated. ;)

Still, I enjoyed the run.

Now I'm trying out my pre-order KS copy of Time Spinner, which is definitely scratching the ol' Super Metroid / Symphony of the Night itch. Only just started, but punching dudes with my floating orbs and freezing time to jump on their heads has a nice rhythm to it so far.

Last edited:

Agamemnon2

Validated User
I started Mafia III today. Originally, I was gonna get into Mad Max for a bit (both games are past PS Plus titles) but I tried to and could not get to grips with that one, so I shoved it off my hard drive and went for this instead. So far, Mafia has annoyed me a bit by the controls feeling a bit stiff and awkward, but I really like the setting, and the "true crime documentary" framing device for the backstory exposition is a really nice touch that I'm surprised more games haven't tried before now.

I also noticed they kept the controversial collectible Playboy magazines that the previous title in the series got flak for.

Last edited:

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
I played the FFXV demo and had fun, but decided after the third time it was on sale and I didn't buy it that it was time to take it off of my wishlist. It sure seems like Final Fantasy games are often subject to the "two different games jury-rigged together in a semi-okay way" criticism, aren't they? I wonder why that is?

Hadn't heard of Time Spinner before. Looking at a video real quick, it looks neat, if not quite my cup of tea. The orbs make me think of a sort of super-hero. Here's hoping it stays fun for you, Shadowjack. :)

As for Mafia III, I haven't played any of the series, but I'm glad to see a game like Mafia III being published, and to some acclaim it seems. Are there videos of the framing device being used, online? Might be neat to give them a look next time I'm home.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
As for Mafia III, I haven't played any of the series, but I'm glad to see a game like Mafia III being published, and to some acclaim it seems. Are there videos of the framing device being used, online? Might be neat to give them a look next time I'm home.
Here's a video of the intro cutscene, gives you an idea of how the ones I've seen so far have gone down. [video=youtube;e_x9rBcSCzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_x9rBcSCzc[/video]

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I've been having trouble committing to anything except Granblue Fantasy lately. Well, I'm very committed to Starsector's next version but I can't play that until it actually releases...

A week ago I was playing a lot of Oxygen Not Included and I could go back to that. My base is at a place where I think I'm particularly prone to stalling out - I've explored a sizable chunk of the map, can smelt metal, and have some degree of thermal regulation going on. I don't know where to go next from there. Also I probably need more duplicants to get stuff done but am afraid of increasing population beyond what I've been efficiently supporting for 60+ cycles now and just plain lazy about creating a location for more beds.

Most recently I've gotten back to some War Thunder grind. Mostly focusing on my soviet tanks, where I'm hoping to one day get my hands on the BMP-1 and finally play with guided missiles. Currently leading with the SU-100 (fairly developed), SU-100P (new) and SU-85 (almost finished). Also occasionally playing US tanks (M36, M41, T28 usually, with occasional Duster guest star) and french tanks (I've got all of tier 1 now, nothing else, which means occasionally useful armor, pitiful weapons, and grossly inadequate engines). I should maybe get a helicopter, just to get a look at what's up there, but they're too high BR for me to use in combined battles even if I played those more often. Really want to play boats, but I'm not willing to put down the money to get into the closed beta.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I'm just wrapping up my Shadow of War Blade of Gladrieal playthru and plan on diving head first into Assassins Creed Odyesse for the next couple of months.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Right now I'm working my way through the various Epilogues/ways to win the game in One Way Heroics+

Man, roguelikes are frustrating. I'm currently trying to go for a run with the Knight class, and it's a defensive juggernaut but. That's not how roguelikes are built to be played, so it's rough.

Nessalantha

Validated User
I just got to 100% in Spider-Man, just in time for Pathfinder: Kingmaker tomorrow! Hopefully, they'll let me start downloading early.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm gearing up for Forza Horizon 4 after trying out the demo this weekend. The open world, easier customization process, and slightly more forgiving physics of Horizon make it a little more appealing than Motorsport, which I tried last year and just couldn't get into.

Top Bottom