• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So whatcha playing? - A Thread For Chit-Chatting About Whatever Game(s) We're Playing At The Moment

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Been playing Blaster Master Zero.

It's still very much Blaster Master, but the fact that they not only incorporated Metafight but also stuff from the Worlds of Power novelization is just... beyond.

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Time to broaden your gaming experience!
Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations, those look neat, and I've added them to the shortlist. :)

I'll keep adding stuff until the end of the sale, then trim down to 50 bucks worth.

Now, more in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I played a bit of Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark and Dishonored 2 earlier tonight, and the former feels a bit stiff and very indie but is very earnest and I've enjoyed the early fights I've had, while I only played the tutorial for the latter, which was a great way to remind myself about how it all works and controls, given how long it's been since I played the first one.

Now, I'm probably going to play a bit of Dota Underlords which I usually discuss over in my other thread about it. It's a fun game that quickly won me over, and I went into the experience pretty dang skeptical about it all. I'm looking forward to being here for the initial transition period(s), which I usually just read about on Kotaku and RPS. ;)

Killer300

Validated User
So, I finally played Batman: Arkham City. And while it is good...

Good lord does the game suffer from open world bloat. Also, the story really suffers from, "Batman is poisoned and needs to hurry!" versus,

"But guy, he totally has some time to do all this random side stuff as well!"

More thoughts later, but I'll finish off with that I'm genuinely impressed by how well Catwoman is integrated into the game.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations, those look neat, and I've added them to the shortlist. :)

I'll keep adding stuff until the end of the sale, then trim down to 50 bucks worth.

Now, more in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I played a bit of Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark and Dishonored 2 earlier tonight, and the former feels a bit stiff and very indie but is very earnest and I've enjoyed the early fights I've had, while I only played the tutorial for the latter, which was a great way to remind myself about how it all works and controls, given how long it's been since I played the first one.

Now, I'm probably going to play a bit of Dota Underlords which I usually discuss over in my other thread about it. It's a fun game that quickly won me over, and I went into the experience pretty dang skeptical about it all. I'm looking forward to being here for the initial transition period(s), which I usually just read about on Kotaku and RPS. ;)
If you like the old-school Mac aesthetic, and enjoy puzzles, Return of the Obra Dinn is a fantastic adventure game by the guy that did Papers, Please. You're an East India Company claims adjuster tasked with exploring a ship that's been missing for four years and finding out the fate of everybody that happened on the ship. The twist is that you have a magical doohickey that lets you see and walk around in the exact frozen moment that the person you're looking at died. It's a little macabre, but that's definitely leavened by the retro graphics (it's definitely not a horror game).

On topic: I've been playing through SteamWorld Quest, the card-based RPG from the guys that dig SteamWorld Dig, Heist, etc. It's good so far! I also got excited about Cadence of Hyrule, bought and played it for a few hours before remembering... right... I wasn't that into Crypt of the Necrodancer. Ah well, might come back to it sometime.

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
If you like the old-school Mac aesthetic, and enjoy puzzles, Return of the Obra Dinn is a fantastic adventure game by the guy that did Papers, Please. You're an East India Company claims adjuster tasked with exploring a ship that's been missing for four years and finding out the fate of everybody that happened on the ship. The twist is that you have a magical doohickey that lets you see and walk around in the exact frozen moment that the person you're looking at died. It's a little macabre, but that's definitely leavened by the retro graphics (it's definitely not a horror game).
Aye, I've been eyeing Return... for a bit, couldn't quite make up my mind. Adding it to the shortlist. :)

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hidden Object are usually aimed at a more older or more casual audience, so they tend to be much easier (or have a better of ease of play) than most point & click games.
Thanks for that detailed reply, by the way. I've played a few of the classic point and click games (Full Throttle) and they're OK, but tend towards BS puzzles. I like game mechanics (like the way Boss Keys and Game Maker's Toolkit talks about game mechanics) and it's cool and interesting to discover new mechanics and genres.

I've got a couple of hidden object games on my Steam Wishlist: Nightmares of the Deep Cursed Heart, Grim Legends Foresaken Bride, I think one other. But I've never pulled the trigger and actually bought one.

Taxes: LttP but I'm playing Wargroove. It's darn fun and best of all it has good dogos. I had to reduce the difficulty because otherwise the larger maps would just be a tedious slog but otherwise I'm very pleased with this game. The extras and puzzle maps are a nice bonus.

Enter the Gungeon: nope, didn't like it. I don't think the trend of "hard" games is for me. Especially when "hard" seems to mean that the control scheme is wonky and needed a bit of polish, and maybe there's too many features mapped to too many buttons and the game would have been better if they'd taken half of those features out and tightened up the game play more. In other words "hard" is just a euphemism for "half baked." Needs more effort by the devs.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks for that detailed reply, by the way. I've played a few of the classic point and click games (Full Throttle) and they're OK, but tend towards BS puzzles. I like game mechanics (like the way Boss Keys and Game Maker's Toolkit talks about game mechanics) and it's cool and interesting to discover new mechanics and genres.

I've got a couple of hidden object games on my Steam Wishlist: Nightmares of the Deep Cursed Heart, Grim Legends Foresaken Bride, I think one other. But I've never pulled the trigger and actually bought one.

Taxes: LttP but I'm playing Wargroove. It's darn fun and best of all it has good dogos. I had to reduce the difficulty because otherwise the larger maps would just be a tedious slog but otherwise I'm very pleased with this game. The extras and puzzle maps are a nice bonus.

Enter the Gungeon: nope, didn't like it. I don't think the trend of "hard" games is for me. Especially when "hard" seems to mean that the control scheme is wonky and needed a bit of polish, and maybe there's too many features mapped to too many buttons and the game would have been better if they'd taken half of those features out and tightened up the game play more. In other words "hard" is just a euphemism for "half baked." Needs more effort by the devs.
In particular, I've noticed that a lot of super-difficult games also happen to be roguelikes, to the point I won't even look at most roguelikes anymore. (No, I'm not willing to put in the 100+ hours needed to git gud.) Best as I can figure, it's how some indie games disguise the lack of content. If the game takes half an hour to beat, just add a zero to the end of all the damage values and don't bother to add saving. If nobody can beat it, nobody can complain that the game is too short.

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
Yeah, I’m more casual or semi-casual player, so I avoid games that are hard/difficult and choose more easier casual games, story-oriented games, and any games with difficulty level selection.

~

I’ve bought and started playing Code: Realize and Hakuoki, and I already can tell I’m going to love these visual novel games! ❤:)

Code: Realize is already feeling like a steampunk adventure with suspense and tragic elements. Feels a little like Full Metal Alchemist and other mostly serious anime with some disturbing and suspenseful bits.

Already a dog had his mouth/muzzle and face melted off in the beginning! Poor doggie! :eek:😟

There is something strange about the heroine, and she calls herself a monster for an obvious (X-Men-like) reason. Can’t wait to see how this gets solved.

Lovey graphics, and I love the look of the heroine. This series of games is starting to be very interesting from the get go! :)

The Hakuoki are the best. Great voice acting (and I don’t usually like voice acting too much in visual novel games, so that’s saying something!), great art, handsome guys and pretty gals, and nice additions of sound effects throughout. (Same with Code: Realize, though I prefer Hakuoki’s lovely voice acting and historical setting more.)

I can already tell I’m going to be replaying Hakuoki a lot. There are 12 potential male characters to befriend and romance, so that’s a lot of replay value! :)

I got it for a cheap price during the sale, but I can see why this game was so pricey. Definitely high quality! ⭐(y)

The story is already intense, violent, suspenseful, and interesting. And, just like in Code: Realize, there is already a hint of some little supernatural bits being revealed within the story so far.

But, man, the choices are so hard. I can tell it’s going to be tricky without a guide to get the best ending for the specific beau you want to woo, lol. :p Kind of vague what choices will have you encounter whom at what times, etc.

I’m already cheating a little with the rewind and quick save/quick load and checking how to begin a specific person’s route. I can’t help it! I wanna avoid the bad endings! 😆

Because the Hakuoki games take place during wartime with lots of violent skirmishes, I sense some tragedy will befall some of the characters, so I will be steeling myself for some heartbreak/tugging on heartstrings, lol.

I really love the setting and am interested to see where the story goes in the various routes. :) The game is amazing, so I can’t wait to keep play it some more later! :D

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Been playing Kamiko, now that it there's a port from Switch to PC.

I guess the best way to describe it as a kind of arcade Zelda? It has discrete levels, but each one with a top-down dungeon with puzzles that need a-solvin'. plus secret power-ups for the exploration-inclined. Gameplay is fine, chiptune soundtrack is strong, environment design, pretty neat.

rbingham2000

The Demon Slayer
Validated User
I'm currently playing City of Heroes again, as well as the recently-released My Friend Pedro.

MFP is basically a stylish action shooter which features a guy with a talking banana as a buddy who blows away mob dudes by the score.

Top Bottom