• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So whatcha playing? - A Thread For Chit-Chatting About Whatever Game(s) We're Playing At The Moment

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Been playing Metal Wolf Chaos XD. Can confirm that this is not merely a novelty goof, this is actually a good game. Fromsoft really did put their Armored Core experience to work here.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I've been addicted to My time In Portia.

I like the post-post-apocalyptic setting, I like farming sims (even though? Not much farming happens at all. You have to go out of your way to do it), and I really like most of the in-gamy social mechanics. You can invite anyone on playdates once they're friendly enough, and half the cast is romanceable by both genders (the other half is children, married couples, a widower, or old.) And beyond chatting and gifting, you can also challenge people to fistfights and rock paper scissors, and everybody has specific reactions dependings on how often you do it and whether they win or lose. And everybody has a circle of friends that actually become friendlier once you improve your relationship! Which is a real nice feeling if you can engineer a cascade of full-hearts to trigger. And people can react to decorations in your yard or the museum and become friendlier!

There's just so many ways to work at friendships that isn't shower them with gifts.

Also you can beat up fluffy pink llamas to make a giant white llama appear and beat it up too for rare loot. Or set up a trap and do a button prompt minigame to tame them into becoming your fluffy steed and then prance around the countryside in style.

Aspeon

Validated User
Automachef is free on Twitch Prime this month, which is a little odd since it only came out a few weeks ago. It's Zachtronics game meets restaurant sim- you build a factory that can produce one or more recipes, and then you run it for a day as orders come in and see what happens. I'm having fun playing through the campaign, but it could definitely use a little more polish in places- the UI doesn't let you multi-select to move a bunch of things, the recipe menu doesn't have a visual indicator of which machine you have to use to make each transformation, etc.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
After a bit of a hiatus I've launched a new Rule the Waves 2 campaign, this time as France. It took a novel turn for me in mid-1900 (just 6 turns into the game) when my interference with German colonial ambitions kicked off a war. So early in the game, there had been no time to develop new technologies or build new ships, so the war had to be fought with the procedurally generated legacy fleet, which tends to be peculiar and inefficient designs (sometimes with illegal features, like anachronistic AA weapons).

The resulting extreme low tech conflict has been quite interesting, really. My battleships are better than the German ones, but the difference is minor - they're all well enough armored that they can't be seriously damaged even by the heaviest guns on either side. Similarly, most heavy cruisers are proof against each other's main guns and the better ones are nearly immune to battleship fire. Killing anything bigger than a light cruiser tends to require a torpedo attack - but torpedoes are primitive short-ranged weapons, mostly launched by tiny and poorly armed proto-destroyers. It's quite difficult - I'd probably never pull it off if the AI didn't tend to leave behind any ship that loses a knot or two of top speed, leaving them unsupported and vulnerable to my swarm.

I'm a year into this global slapstick show (Germany and France both have colonies in the Pacific) having sunk only a handful of major ships. Very excited to have laid down a cutting edge series of 600 ton destroyers - when they come out of the yards in 1902 with their fore and aft 4-inch guns they'll be a terror to enemy destroyer squadrons. In my past campaigns, 600 ton destroyers have usually been outdated before the first war begin...

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
This week I finished The Swapper, an atmospheric sci-fi horror puzzle platformer. The Swapper is a device that allows you to create up to four clones of yourself and swap consciousness between those clones... and the game does not shy away from exploring the metaphysical implications of this. It’s a fantastic piece of sci-fi literature, and the puzzles can be devious - the last few in particular were almost brain-breaking for me. Excellent gem of a game.

Next up is The Council, a historic mystery narrative RPG

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Came back to Path of Exile to give the Legion league another try with an essence drain+contagion character, after seeing video of one of those wreck a Legion encounter. (Contagion is a weak area DOT attack that spreads to nearby enemies on death. Essence drain is a very strong single-target attack. But they have an interaction where essence drain will piggy-back on contagion.)

Conclusion: Yeah, this build is perfectly suited for this league mechanic. A screen-full of enemies, all placed near enough each other to get hit by contagion. It's also a great build in general, though the game slows down whenever it starts killing a screen-full of enemies.

Killer300

Validated User
Just played a ton of Age of Wonders 3, a little bit of NITE Team 4, and dipped my toes into Victory at Sea Pacific. Age of Wonders 3 is quite good, but, is a game I can never quite reach the end of, NITE Team 4 reminds me of why I dislike hacking games, but has also given me a great metaphor to use when describing hacking** in my own writing, and finally, Victory at Sea Pacific is...

Possibly really good. Possibly. It's had a lot of its bugs and technical issues cleaned up from its early release, but outside of that? I just can't tell. It could be the game I've been looking for my entire life, namely, a satisfying naval game that isn't so realistic it practically requires a degree from a Naval College to get anywhere, while still being interesting to play. However, I've been burned many, many times on this before by games like World of Warships, which just seem to remind me why all those naval games decide to be insanely realistic. Which is namely that naval combat, without all the stress from reality, is often boring and insanely repetitive.

So, fingers crossed. Its telling my favorite naval game is From the Depths, given that game takes more after Minecraft and other building games than any kind of traditional naval game.

*Namely, they are hard to learn, but easy to master. That's a terrible combination, and one that rarely seems to show up outside of this genre. The closest comparison I have is how in X-COM, and some of its clones, it has a difficulty curve where the game briefly becomes as hard as Mount Everest before suddenly careening off a cliff to be insanely easy. More thoughts later.

**Despite its issues, NITE Team 4... might be the most realistic hacking game we have. I can't be sure because, well, this isn't exactly a topic that's easy to find out truth about.

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
Hello thread!

So a few weeks ago, I snagged a ps1 mini for twenty bucks at target. Finally hooked it up, and I’m slowly playing through Final Fantasy 7 to see what the hubbub is about. (I played up to like disk 3 when I was in college a long time ago). It’s holding up fairly well, though the melodrama is weird coming from polygon marionettes. I’m currently stuck on the “catch a choboco to cross a marsh” bit cause the stupid birds run away before I can actually take an action. Grumble.

So when I get frustrated with that I turn to Valkyria Chronicles on ps3. Someone recommended it on this forum— this is actually a replay for me, as I’m trying to level up more so I won’t get stuck on a late game mission like I did the first go round.

Still, cute anime infantry and occasional swings into super dark “war is hell” stuff. It’s an odd juxtaposition but a solid game nonetheless.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Possibly really good. Possibly. It's had a lot of its bugs and technical issues cleaned up from its early release, but outside of that? I just can't tell. It could be the game I've been looking for my entire life, namely, a satisfying naval game that isn't so realistic it practically requires a degree from a Naval College to get anywhere, while still being interesting to play. However, I've been burned many, many times on this before by games like World of Warships, which just seem to remind me why all those naval games decide to be insanely realistic. Which is namely that naval combat, without all the stress from reality, is often boring and insanely repetitive.
Did you see the thread about Rule the Waves 2? Because it might do something for you.

Aspeon

Validated User
Dicey Dungeons, the new game by indie dev Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV, Super Hexagon) officially came out last night. It's a dice-based roguelike: on your turn you roll a pool of dice, and you have a set of equipment "cards" that you can assign dice to in different combinations to do damage, protect yourself, manipulate the dice to make better combinations for other cards, etc.

I'd played the alpha some, so I was somewhat familiar, but there are a few new mechanics that I hadn't seen yet. Beat the base difficulty with three of the five non-secret classes, which unlocks a bunch of "episodes" for each class that change the rules a bit. The one flaw is it uses "dice" as singular everywhere, which apparently the OED is says is correct but I still can't get around.

Top Bottom