• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So, who is sticking with Pathfinder 1e and why?

Bomberg

Validated User
I'm not invested in PF at all (save the Kingmaker AP). To generate my interest, PF2 has to be substantially change from its 3.5e core. So I guess I'll wait for some serious reviews, maybe buy a new AP (damn my curiosity!) and then decide whether it might be a game I'd like to run in the near future.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Like envision a scenario wherein back in the 80's, Coca-Cola switches to New Coke, (A notoriously controversial change that many people hated) and through a complete legal aberration, another company, we'll call them Koka-Soda, is somehow able to acquire the rights to produce the classic Coke recipe under their own label. Many people would logically flock to the Koka-Soda, as even though it lacks the brand recognition, it is ultimately delivering what a lot of people want out of their caffeinated fizzy beverages.
I think a better analogy would be a computer game with extensive DLC and fan modding community (i.e. 3rd party), and then releasing a new version that completely obsoletes all that with the promise that they made the base game easier to use (or whatever 2e promises). Because in this example I could see people who don't deal with mod fixes being fine with a change, while those of us who rely on them can't use them with the new game and would have to start over with a base game that's not designed to our tastes.

Foxworthy

Cheesesteak Aficionado
Validated User
I think what Paizo is betting on is their Pathfinder Society. People may have moved to Pathfinder over D&D 4E in 2008-2009 but I doubt by 2012 backward compatibility was as significant a concern. The PF society meant you had people to play with. If the Society moves on to aggressively support PF2E I can see it having some success. If it uses a forked strategy of supporting both editions I think 2E is In trouble.
Of course D&D 5e AL is active so that hurts that a bit. PFS grew a lot when 4e LFR died.

Paizo's plan with PFS is to stop making 1e PFS adventures, but to keep the PFS 1e rules active so people can still play and record their games. They've also given out a pool of adventure replays based on how much people played before, with I believe the cap at 30. Plus people will be able to play 2e PFS to earn replays for 1e PFS.

So they should be able to keep the 1e PFS active for long enough to get the some of the people who wouldn't switch to switch over without as many of the hurt feelings from just ending the 1e PFS campaign. It also allows them to track how many 1e PFS players aren't moving over to PFS 2e and adjust accordingly. It's a shrewd plan.

Of course that doesn't help the places where PFS has already died, like my local area.

Though the fact that D&D 5e AL likes to alienate chunks of their player base every year could help PFS.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
I already have a LARGE collection of Pathfinder and 3rd edition books, I really don't see why I should move to yet another new edition that's just starting out. I have everything I need already.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I already have a LARGE collection of Pathfinder and 3rd edition books, I really don't see why I should move to yet another new edition that's just starting out. I have everything I need already.
That's pretty much the reason I'm not running 5e right now either.

Dr. Tran

...I'm NOT a Doctor!
Validated User
I am not, but that is mainly because I am sick of 3.x in all its forms. I've already donated all my books.

I'll play some second edition to see how it goes, but I'm starting to lose confidence that it will be anything I'll want to keep playing.

Top Bottom