• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So, why are Games Workshop products so expensive, anyway?

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yup. I paid shipping and handling, that was it. I was scared to order, like, 10 at that price 'cause I was worried there might be a threshold at which they decided they'd rather sue me than honor the price, y'know? But yeah, it was pretty sweet.

It's the one time in my life I ever gamed the system like that. My family's returned things to grocery stores before -- poor as hell, just me and mom when I was a kiddo -- because we found out after the fact that something had made it into a grocery bag without getting charged for it. But just this once, with GW, I didn't even feel bad (maybe it was because a huge chunk of my main army at the time had just been rendered obsolete due to a codex change).

Donesh

Validated User
Having just visited England, my impression is that the States is also effectively dealing with the weak buying power of the pound. When I was comparing prices in England it felt like you could just replace dollars for pounds to gain a fairly good representation of how much it would cost to buy the similar item in America. IIRC they don't knock the VAT off the price before deciding how much they should charge for it overseas.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Of all the economic analysis I've done over the years, who knew that "Space Marines as a utility" would be the one that sticks.
I hope you'll do another look at them when they release their next investor report. :)

Old Geezer

Banned
They, like all games, are a luxury good.

The way you price any luxury good is "all the traffic will bear." If nobody bought GW stuff, the price would drop.

Econ 101.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
With the mega-bundles GW don't even need to make a prototype because the it is just a collection of standard kits. Even if they don't sell any, it is still good, cheap marketing.
Usually GW's bundles are just an easy way to buy things, they aren't actually any cheaper.
But recently they've make some nice one, especially the End Times undead bundles had some really nice savings .

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
I wonder how many (if any) of those they've actually sold.
The number I've heard from a not-that-reliable source (I'm not saying I don't trust him, I'm just not sure if the GW sales rep he got the figure from wasn't lying through his teeth), they sold approximately 5000 units of the "full chapter" deal, most of them to middle east and asian countries.

BigWeather

Validated User
Incidentally, anyone know the best place to sell GW minis? I have a number of unopened WHFB including a couple of army boxes (don't ask, just know that my estimation of my ability to paint and play the figures I bought is waaaay off).

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had good luck on eBay. Maybe try Bartertown, too, if you're looking to shuffle from one game to another, instead of just wanting cash.

Top Bottom