• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

So, why are Games Workshop products so expensive, anyway?

Darting Flea

Validated User
They, like all games, are a luxury good.

The way you price any luxury good is "all the traffic will bear." If nobody bought GW stuff, the price would drop.

Econ 101.
So far when people stop buying GW products, GW have responded by cutting staff, making it harder for FLGS and web retailers to sell their product and raising prices.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
The number I've heard from a not-that-reliable source (I'm not saying I don't trust him, I'm just not sure if the GW sales rep he got the figure from wasn't lying through his teeth), they sold approximately 5000 units of the "full chapter" deal, most of them to middle east and asian countries.
See? Insanely rich (possibly insane) oil barons, making a table that only the five wealthiest players may play on!!

Personally, every time I think about getting an entire chapter at once makes me break out in hives. "But...sooooooo many shoulderpads!! What if I don't like the color scheme halfway in?!?!"

mac40k

Validated User
GW is positioning themselves as the high end luxury automobile of miniatures. They aren't the only game in town anymore and some of those Toyotas are damn near a Lexus, so they are further trying to distinguish themselves with large kits and multi-purpose kits that give you options (a la basic sedan, coupe, and convertible built on the same chassis). While many would argue that the quality of other brands is as good or very close, most can't afford to even do all their 28mm figs in plastic and are still casting in metal or resin.

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to move and need to offload 30years of figs that fill an entire storage room, but really hate the idea of taking all those photos and pricing things up to sell on eBay. Not to mention managing the listings, responding to inquiries, and dealing with packing and shipping stuff out. Wish I could just get someone to do it for me for a percentage.

Stantz

Start-upity
Validated User
See? Insanely rich (possibly insane) oil barons, making a table that only the five wealthiest players may play on!!

Personally, every time I think about getting an entire chapter at once makes me break out in hives. "But...sooooooo many shoulderpads!! What if I don't like the color scheme halfway in?!?!"
That's not even a joke. Back when I was doing freemium games, we once tracked down our biggest paying customers, and I mean "represented enough to keep us profitable by themselves, each" to basically those IP addresses.

Turns out billionaires have hobbies, too.

Marc A. Vezina

Lapsed Industry Veteran
Validated User
If you have money to buy an entire chapter's worth of minis, you have enough money to get someone to paint them for you. Multiple times, if you suddenly decide you don't like the color scheme anymore. ;)

ajdynon

Validated User
On the upside, maybe GW's recent troubles are an indication that gamers are finally getting sick of their shit.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Of all the economic analysis I've done over the years, who knew that "Space Marines as a utility" would be the one that sticks.
I'm telling ya, if you could find a publisher willing to carry it, a 'business of toy plastic soldiers' column would be a runaway hit.

Albertorius

Validated User
If you have money to buy an entire chapter's worth of minis, you have enough money to get someone to paint them for you. Multiple times, if you suddenly decide you don't like the color scheme anymore. ;)
Or you could just buy another chapter and get it painted too, I guess ^_^

Top Bottom