• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Some thoughts on DragonQuest

artikid

passerby
Validated User
I was a player in a short campaign Bitd, I also owned (the crappy) 3rd edition for a while. Dragonquest was quirky but fun.

Two Hours to Doom

Strangelove'n
Validated User
If I recall the 3rd edition removed some of colleges of magic (Black Magic and Demons). Satanic panic I guess—these were my favorites, some really cool write-ups!

Amberpup

Validated User
I ran a short campaign of DR in my younger years (Ok, it was maybe 1987 and I was 26 but still counting it as my early years of gaming), and I still have fond memories about the game. Its was one of the few games I pretty much built the world up from scratch with all my crazy ideas of what a adventuring setting needed. To a treasure chest filled to the brim with poisonous dust, to visiting the Guild like good little adventurers should.

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
If I recall the 3rd edition removed some of colleges of magic (Black Magic and Demons). Satanic panic I guess—these were my favorites, some really cool write-ups!
It also snuck in some errors. Specifically, IIRC, some of the base chances for spells were left out.

artikid

passerby
Validated User
Yes, but also changed some skills, and obscenely increased the experience cost multipliers for non-humans.
They also introduced Alchemism and Rune Magic from Arcane Wisdom.

Alpha Stryke

Validated User
Does this game (1st or 2nd edition) really require maps/grids for combat encounters or can it be played theater of the mind?

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
I think that you could play TofM only if you wanted to toss out a lot of the combat rules concerning facing, engagement, tactical movement rate, and so on. Perfectly playable, but I'm not sure how it would affect the relative capability of some monsters. I bet someone has tried it.

Drogo

Unrepentant Gamer
RPGnet Member
Validated User
But then, why bother to acquire it and release a TSR version of the rulebook, then kill it? Why not just buy it and bury it? TSR was weird. ;)
They bought out SPI for multiple reasons. Getting rid of DQ was only one of them... and the 3rd edition was pretty much ready to print. As all the work on the new edition was already paid for by SPI, TSR said "oh well, might as well get some money out of this, then never reprint it."

Top Bottom