• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Some thoughts on DragonQuest

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
If I recall the 3rd edition removed some of colleges of magic (Black Magic and Demons). Satanic panic I guess—these were my favorites, some really cool write-ups!
You're correct. In theory it was easy enough to reinsert them, but since ever edition changed the modifiers for spellcasting (with some good reason), it'd actually have been non-trivial.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I think that you could play TofM only if you wanted to toss out a lot of the combat rules concerning facing, engagement, tactical movement rate, and so on. Perfectly playable, but I'm not sure how it would affect the relative capability of some monsters. I bet someone has tried it.
This. The game did come out of a wargame house, after all, and they took a lot of the combat rules seriously. The comparison I'd make is it would be like trying to play The Fantasy Trip TotM; I suspect it'd be pretty unsatisfying.

Ante

Validated User
I seem to remember enough emphasis on facing and fairly precise movement distances that makes me think not.
1st ed. was very detailed with that, 2nd ed. less so. But, yes those do matter. I feel being engaged or not to matter more, though.

Dr. Mabuse

Hueymakt Initiate
Validated User
I remember seeing the ads in my fathers Strategy & Tactics magazines and what wondering what it was? :)
I'll be following this.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
1st ed. was very detailed with that, 2nd ed. less so. But, yes those do matter. I feel being engaged or not to matter more, though.
Obviously it'd have been more an issue with the action point version, but I thought it still stuck out when I ran it using 2e. But its also been literally decades, so I'm not going to try and argue the point.

d(sqrt(-1))

Die of Cold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have 1st ed boxed set and 2nd ed hardback, never saw 3rd ed in the UK. It kind of competed with RuneQuest for us, although a friend of mine and myself did come up with a 30 Years War campaign idea for it in about 1983 but we never got to run it...

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
As I recall, the biggest issues I had with it was the baked-in randomness in the character gen (I was already moving away from that at the time) and that it could be super difficult in our experience playing a mage without blowing your own face off or the equivalent. But there were a lot of things to like, too.

Top Bottom