• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sony and Disney Stop Sharing Spider-Man

Matchstick

Validated User
Thought this deserved its own thread.

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Seems to me from reading the article that Disney is the one leveraging the fact that they don't really "need" Spidey in the MCU to get Sony to fork over 50% of the movie profits. Not sure you can blame Sony for refusing to take that deal.

The MCU will continue along just fine, I suspect, but it's a shame we won't get to see Peter interact with it anymore. :(

Brawndo

Murder Time Fun Time!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't think was a smart move for Disney. Spider-Man is a pretty big draw.

It's not like Sony's non-MCU Spider-Man movies have performed poorly, from a financial standpoint. Do they still have Tom Holland on contract? I think they'll be okay pretending the MCU doesn't exist. Especially now that they can cross him over with Venom.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User

It's not like Sony's non-MCU Spider-Man movies have performed poorly, from a financial standpoint. Do they still have Tom Holland on contract? I think they'll be okay pretending the MCU doesn't exist. Especially now that they can cross him over with Venom.
Oh god please don't cross him over with Venom.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Spider-Man's the best thing about the MCU right now. Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel? All "ok," but none really compare to Peter Parker. If Sony can continue using Tom Holland and keep the same supporting cast, then I'm all in on its Spider-Verse. Particularly since it increase the chance of, hey, hey, live action Spider-Verse - Miles, Liv Octavius, all of that.

I hope this bites Disney in the ass and I hope Sony does gangbusters at the box office.

Robert Clay

Evil Feline Mastermind
Validated User

Pretty sure the MCU will be fine. Everything you said in this post could be said in the opposite direction and be just as valid.

Spider-Man's the best thing about the MCU right now. Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel? All "ok," but none really compare to Peter Parker. If Sony can continue using Tom Holland and keep the same supporting cast, then I'm all in on its Spider-Verse. Particularly since it increase the chance of, hey, hey, live action Spider-Verse - Miles, Liv Octavius, all of that.

I hope this bites Disney in the ass and I hope Sony does gangbusters at the box office.
I'm not sure if I'd agree that Peter Parker > BP or CM, but I have not seen Far From Home so I will withhold judgment. You left Thor and GotG off the list. Unfortunately we don't have any GotG coming up in Phase 4 so if you are referring to the MCU going forward then I guess they don't count unless they show up in Thor 4.

Last edited:

Davies

Validated User
the irony being that after FFH, I can totally see a Spider-man vs venom movie, that oscillates between grudge match and VERY AWKWARD buddy cop film
... what grudge? This is the first time they've ever even met!

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Pretty sure the MCU will be fine. Everything you said in this post could be said in the opposite direction and be just as valid.
It wouldn't be just as valid because Disney's the bunch of assholes demanding a huge share of the box office. To a degree that Sony would probably be better off just rebooting the whole franchise and receiving reduced profits, because that reduction still probably wouldn't amount to the 50% blackmail Disney hung over Sony's head.

Top Bottom