• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sony and Disney Stop Sharing Spider-Man

csyphrett

Validated User
Disney/Sony's Spiderman movies and the Rock's Jumanji are the best money makers for Sony in the last three years from what I can see. That doesn't cover things that are still in rotation like MIB INT
CES

Rainfall

Validated User
I don't think Disney can use Miles or the rest of the gang. Sony owns those characters
Even if they did get all the rights back, do you REALLY see Disney do anything close to Spiderverse? Heck make an animated Marvel flick involving a major Marvel name for that matter? It's just not the kind of thing the Mouse does. Venom? Not in a billion years.

So I'm fine with Sony doing it's own thing, even if it's not as... polished at times. ;)

Matchstick

Validated User
This article from Hollywood Reporter is interesting, particularly this:

Sony’s slate is less diverse, and while it is moving ahead with spinoffs and a sequel to Venom, the future of Spider-Man is unclear. Holland, sources say, has an option for one more movie, while director Jon Watts is done with his two-picture deal and is free to pursue other projects.

Seems like Holland has some leverage here, in that he could decide to move on from the role if he's unhappy about this after one more film, forcing Sony to either recast or reboot again. Losing both Watts and Holland seems like a worst-case scenario for Sony, especially the latter, since it means even the most casual MCU moviegoer would realize something was up and Sony wouldn't be able to use the goodwill Holland's Spidey has generated for their own films.

RedShark92

Validated User
So you’d rather have mediocre Spider-Man movies out of Disney’s grip than a great ones within it? Seems like that would be missing the actual point of having any type of Spider-Man at all in anyone’s hands, which is to be able to watch a great character in enjoyable stories.
Speaking for myself, when you phrase it like that, of course not, but I think that's a false dichotomy.

FWIW, I would prefer Sony and Marvel to keep an arrangement going, but speaking as a long-term fan of the character I don't think it's the end of the world if they go their separate ways for either Spider-man movies or the MCU.

Not saying a Non-MCU Spider-Man is destined to be mediocre but based on Sony’s recent track record there’s a good probability it could be. While the MCU Spider-Man has proven to be great so far.
While I liked Far From Home a lot, I was kinda cool on Homecoming so for me the Disney-related Spider-man movies have been hit or miss. Admittedly they haven't had any that are as bad as SM3 or ASM2 but they also haven't had anything as good as the Raimi movies and I'd even rate the first ASM as being better than Homecoming, though not as good as Far From Home.

Even if they did get all the rights back, do you REALLY see Disney do anything close to Spiderverse? Heck make an animated Marvel flick involving a major Marvel name for that matter? It's just not the kind of thing the Mouse does. Venom? Not in a billion years.

So I'm fine with Sony doing it's own thing, even if it's not as... polished at times. ;)
This, too. I like having more diversity of voices and styles. For instance, the Raimi movies are still my favorite and part of that is they have a very distinct tone and style. It's a bit real-world, it's a bit comic-booky, just a touch of camp and it works really well. As much as I love the MCU I don't think something in that style would ever get made in that setting.

For a similar reason I had kind of mixed feelings about X-men going back. The Fox movies were very hit or miss but there was some really good stuff in there and I'm going to miss that voice being gone.

mac40k

Validated User
Looks like Sony stock took a big hit yesterday that is being tied to the announcement. Between that and the fan rage, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony return to the negotiating table. They may decide that the hit they take due to sharing more profits with Disney is more palatable than the hit to their image.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Yeah, but the real question is how lewd they can make the new Aunt May.
If they can bring back J.K. Simmons, I demand I keep my Marisa Tomei.
Back when Sony was planning all sorts of dubious Spider-Man-adjacent projects like a Sinister Six movie featuring characters that hadn't appeared in Spider-Man movies yet, or a spy movie starring Aunt May, they hadn't cast Marisa Tomei yet.

I would 100% watch a spy movie where this Aunt May gets mixed up in some spy hijinks. Spyjinks.

This article from Hollywood Reporter is interesting, particularly this:

Sony’s slate is less diverse, and while it is moving ahead with spinoffs and a sequel to Venom, the future of Spider-Man is unclear. Holland, sources say, has an option for one more movie, while director Jon Watts is done with his two-picture deal and is free to pursue other projects.

Seems like Holland has some leverage here, in that he could decide to move on from the role if he's unhappy about this after one more film, forcing Sony to either recast or reboot again. Losing both Watts and Holland seems like a worst-case scenario for Sony, especially the latter, since it means even the most casual MCU moviegoer would realize something was up and Sony wouldn't be able to use the goodwill Holland's Spidey has generated for their own films.
I was just coming here to post that, contrary to initial reporting, Watt isn't signed for any more Spider-Man movies. I didn't know about Holland maybe not being on board for future movies, either. Losing Watt in addition to the links to the MCU would be risky. Losing Holland would be a disaster.

Looks like Sony stock took a big hit yesterday that is being tied to the announcement. Between that and the fan rage, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony return to the negotiating table. They may decide that the hit they take due to sharing more profits with Disney is more palatable than the hit to their image.
I saw that story, but when I tried to track down specifics, it looked like Sony's stock took a small dip, but aside from timing, I didn't see anything that definitively tied it to breaking with Marvel. (And one of the sources was WeGotThisCovered, which is highly questionable as a source.)

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Another one of those amusing but impossible Internet scenarios people have suggested is that once Holland is free to do so, he rejoin the MCU as a totally new and unrelated character, a teenage Tony Stark called something like "Peter Sparker" :p Just don't explain who he is at all or refer to any of his past adventures, but everyone seems to know him already for some reason.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I saw that story, but when I tried to track down specifics, it looked like Sony's stock took a small dip, but aside from timing, I didn't see anything that definitively tied it to breaking with Marvel. (And one of the sources was WeGotThisCovered, which is highly questionable as a source.)
I mean, if nerdrage didn't get Rian Johnson's upcoming Star Wars trilogy canceled, it's certainly not going to be impactful enough to wreck Sony's stock.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's just something I found amusing, but the latest Pitch Meeting video covers the subject:

Top Bottom