• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sony and Disney Stop Sharing Spider-Man

junglefowl26

Validated User
Yeah, but the real question is how lewd they can make the new Aunt May.
Personally, what worries me is that if we get another reboot, they make Mary Jane a buxom white redhead again and the usual suspects will cheer it on as some sort of great victory against social justice.

Plus I just in general like the MCU MJ and her relationship with Peter and would like to see more of both.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Plus I just in general like the MCU MJ and her relationship with Peter and would like to see more of both.
I'm not one to write fanfic, but I'm enamored enough of my idea that the MCU's MJ--Michelle Jones--is Michelle Angelica Jones, and she gets flame powers, then in the Blip, a young mutant named Bobby Drake aged up enough to be a contemporary with Peter and MJ, and together the three of them fight crime, that I might write some.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
I'm not one to write fanfic, but I'm enamored enough of my idea that the MCU's MJ--Michelle Jones--is Michelle Angelica Jones, and she gets flame powers, then in the Blip, a young mutant named Bobby Drake aged up enough to be a contemporary with Peter and MJ, and together the three of them fight crime, that I might write some.
I'd read it if you wrote it. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends 1. was the very first piece of Spider-Man media I'd ever seen, and 2. it's still one of my favorites.

Lord Azrael

Wreck N' Rule
Validated User
This all makes me very sad. Holland's Spider-Man has been a high point of the MCU for me in all of his appearances. I really hope they can negotiate one more film so we get the payoff to the ending bit of Far From Home.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I'd read it if you wrote it. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends 1. was the very first piece of Spider-Man media I'd ever seen, and 2. it's still one of my favorites.
When I've tried my hand at writing bits of fiction lately, I've found that law school ruined my ability to write fiction. I now write like I'm laying out a statement of facts.

Alter_Boy

Big Brain Ideas
Validated User
I wouldn't mind one film with just Sony for SPIDERMAN V VENOM: DAWN OF WEBCRAWLING, but after so many years of Spider-man being the only hero in his universe, it would break my heart to see all the MCU interactions with Peter missing.

Even if they did get all the rights back, do you REALLY see Disney do anything close to Spiderverse? Heck make an animated Marvel flick involving a major Marvel name for that matter? It's just not the kind of thing the Mouse does. Venom? Not in a billion years.
Can we please acknowledge how much heavy lifting Marvel Studios has already done in the past eleven years? We've gotten period piece superheroes, superheroes in space, superheroes with political commentary, comedic superheroes, magical superheroes, spy superheroes, and cross-over movies between all of the above. With Shang-Chi and the Eternals on the horizon, I seriously doubt that there is any angle of the comicbook genre that Disney won't eventually get to.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Mindflayer
Validated User
Honestly That was kind of my hope for the MCU SPiderman 3... they could use it to open up the X-men as a thing... oh well

Rainfall

Validated User
Can we please acknowledge how much heavy lifting Marvel Studios has already done in the past eleven years? We've gotten period piece superheroes, superheroes in space, superheroes with political commentary, comedic superheroes, magical superheroes, spy superheroes, and cross-over movies between all of the above. With Shang-Chi and the Eternals on the horizon, I seriously doubt that there is any angle of the comicbook genre that Disney won't eventually get to.
Disney ain't gonna do Logan or Deadpool.

Don't get me wrong the Disney MCU has been quality entertainment and they'requite willing to take some interesting risks, frankly just Black Panther justifies the whole thing... but they're still very firmly Disney movies with a eye for access to the Chineese market. Not passing judgement there: the Mouse earned it's top spot and deserves it's broad appeal.

But if you're like me and like mory physicality, bit of a tighter focus, a less polished feel and a more "seat of your pants" approach to moviemaking the current era is a bit barren. I was a huge fan of the Sam Raimi movies, very obvious warts and all. I really don't mind Disney but all Disney all the time ain't really my idea of a good time.

csyphrett

Validated User
Even if they did get all the rights back, do you REALLY see Disney do anything close to Spiderverse? Heck make an animated Marvel flick involving a major Marvel name for that matter? It's just not the kind of thing the Mouse does. Venom? Not in a billion years.

So I'm fine with Sony doing it's own thing, even if it's not as... polished at times. ;)
That's cool but Spiderverse and venom didn't make a billion dollars even combined. Essentially Sony either makes movies that do okay, or they bomb like bricks. They don't seem to have a middle ground.
CES

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, new deal rumoured:

https://cosmicbook.news/spider-man-deal-7-movies-avengers

70-30 split, 7 more movies, live action spiderverse spinoffs, Venom in the MCU, and possibly Firestorm and Iceman. Oh and a bunch of streaming rights for Disney, because of course.

Can’t vouch for any of this, but it sounds like something happened as apparently Holland is back to posting twitter stuff with RDJ.

Top Bottom