• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sony and Disney Stop Sharing Spider-Man

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OTOH, it looks like Stan Lee's daughter is in favor of keeping Disney from being the sole "voice" of Marvel comics characters and further slammed Disney for disrespecting her dad. "No one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."
That's pretty rich, as Lee is one of the few (only?) legacy creators that made serious bank. Granted it was mostly because he made himself the face of Marvel, and then he didn't contest the ownership of his work.

Hunter

Validated User
That's pretty rich, as Lee is one of the few (only?) legacy creators that made serious bank.
Yeah, her big beef with the Marvel/Disney folks is that they "commodotized" (is that even a word?) her father's work and didn't "reach out to her" after her father's death. So... she's pissed off that they made her father a very, very rich man and didn't offer her a similarly lucrative position? Huh?

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Yeah, her big beef with the Marvel/Disney folks is that they "commodotized" (is that even a word?) her father's work and didn't "reach out to her" after her father's death. So... she's pissed off that they made her father a very, very rich man and didn't offer her a similarly lucrative position? Huh?
I mean, I read it more as “they overworked him, turned him into a 2D character, and when he passed nobody even checked to see if I was doing okay”, which is a rather more sympathetic reading.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They overworked him? What did they have him do other than show up for cameos? And I never got the impression he wasn’t having a total blast every time (or he’s a much better actor than I gave him credit for). I’m sure they weren’t command performances.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Another story I read earlier today stated that Sony without Disney will screw up Spider-man yet again, Sony will be bought at which point the rights return to Marvel/Disney anyway, so they should swallow their pride and make a deal so that can at least make some money off of the IP while they still can. I think it was Forbes. It started off trying to give the impression of being fact based since it went to the trouble of comparing dollars invested to dollars (presumed) earned and even going so far as to adjust for inflation; however, by the end of the article it became clear the author was just writing an opinion piece and was adamant that Disney can take Spider-man out of the MCU and be just fine, but that Sony can't take the MCU out of Spider-man.
I read that Forbes article, if it's the one by Mark Hughes, and I was interested in the author's claims that if Sony was sold to anyone other than Disney, the rights to Spider-Man would revert to Disney.

Then this is buried pretty deep in the article:

I'm not privy to the precise details of the contracts and licensing, but my understanding is the licensing isn't transferable, and that Marvel will regain full rights to all of the related Spider-Man characters if Sony Pictures is sold. If it turns out Marvel would have to make an offer to buy the rights back, or otherwise compensate Sony prior to a merger, then that would of course change some of the math here, but ultimately not much of it overall.
Maybe he's right, but it seems like he might be just guessing or half-remembering something he heard someone else say about the deal.

RedShark92

Validated User
Okay so what does Sony have of the Spider-Man franchise/group? Everything? Spider Gwen, miles? They don’t really have kingpin do they? Or is there something that’s not attached?
I believe every character who's part of the Spidey family, including villains and supporting characters.

If that does include the Kingpin, he's a shared character, similar to Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch before Disney bought Fox.

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you like supers comics, it is the most innovative superhero comic book movie that I’ve ever seen. If you’re a Spider-Man fan (any Spider-Man, pretty much) it’s even better.
I haven't read comics since before the Raimi series, and I still think this is one of the better supers movies I've seen. It's also a real rush. They take total advantage of it being animated - I doubt you could do it 'live'.

Daztur

Seoulite
Validated User
If you like supers comics, it is the most innovative superhero comic book movie that I’ve ever seen. If you’re a Spider-Man fan (any Spider-Man, pretty much) it’s even better.
It's also possibly the best animated film I've ever seen, or at least right up there with movies like Up. The visuals are just astoundingly beautiful. So many subtle little things that make it a comic book come to life more than any other movie I've ever seen.

Top Bottom