• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sooo ... Far West might drop today

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Cat's On Crack

Keeper of the Cheese
Validated User
Yeah, this thing is never coming out. I feel bad for everybody who lost money on Far West. I feel bad for Gareth who has had his reputation as a creator and businessman absolutely torpedoed by Far West. I think that everybody - consumers and creator - would just be better off walking away from Far West at this point.
I used to feel bad for him, until dishonesty became the norm. Now, I feel little save disgust. That mentioned, you are correct and everyone...including Gareth...should politely walk away. I would honestly bear no further grudge, in fact I'd respect it. I wish no ill in his life but I have no intention of ever giving him my support again, so losing the money on FW isn't really a hit.

Evan Waters

Talented Amateur
Validated User
There's no way it's as far along as he says it is, I'm thinking. If there were then it wouldn't be a big hassle- that would mean he's fairly confident the mechanics don't need another rehaul, the layout is mostly as it should be, art is done and in the right places, etc. It would be something releasable, just kinda stripped down.

Nessalantha

Validated User
I hate to be the voice of reason here, but...

Yep, pretty much, but for me it's pushed through frustrating into amusing. It will make me smile if a 2018 thread about the availability of Far West is posted next year. (Because it still won't be out by then.)

I used to feel bad for him, until dishonesty became the norm. Now, I feel little save disgust. That mentioned, you are correct and everyone...including Gareth...should politely walk away. I would honestly bear no further grudge, in fact I'd respect it. I wish no ill in his life but I have no intention of ever giving him my support again, so losing the money on FW isn't really a hit.
I'm not entirely sure there's dishonesty involved, exactly. I feel the updates are sincere, and there is a real belief that it will be finished by then. Then, something comes up or there's something that seems to need revision, and then the changes cascade, and then it's three months later.

There's no way it's as far along as he says it is, I'm thinking. If there were then it wouldn't be a big hassle- that would mean he's fairly confident the mechanics don't need another rehaul, the layout is mostly as it should be, art is done and in the right places, etc. It would be something releasable, just kinda stripped down.
I'm of the impression that the current version is far and away different from the original. Maybe the stuff that's already been released hasn't changed much, but we've never seen the heart of the rules that run the game. I wouldn't be surprised if those haven't been changed several times.

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
Y'know, I wasn't originally aware of this game, didn't back the KS, didn't know anything about it, didn't really care... until the threads started here on RPGnet, oh, so long ago. Now, every time I read one, I start to think, 'Man, now I -want- to see this thing.' I want to possess this mythical, elusive unicorn of a game, if only to bask in the miraculous knowledge that at some point, it actually manifests in our reality, like a brightly burning phoenix emerging from the ether! Having no stake whatsoever in its release, I still spiritually cheer for its creator's eternal optimism.

CADmonkey

Validated User
Has he apologized for all those unjustified personal attacks directed at his critics? That's what I'm waiting to hear.

Chris M

Validated User
You know I have become a Facebook presence of table top roleplaying groups over that have formed over there or associations of that stripe and particularly the Savage Worlds forum where GMS himself came on and said he is pleased to announce the release of a new Thrilling Tales supplement and most received the news with joyous excitement saying they could not wait for it to arrive in all its pulpy goodness. I let it be known there to him directly that I did not think I could in good conscience back a new product due to the fact that the one promised from well before that has not been put forward yet and it has been years since its successful funding as a point of fact. His response to me not to paraphrase was that "I respect your opinion Chris but you do understand that was not solely my responsibility that it has not been released right. And your understanding of game publishing might be somewhat naïve to think the buck stops with me ?" And that statement that he made right there left me silent and at a loss for words but then I found them. My response was that you are a leader of your imprint your name is on the billing with the text created and designed by GMS. And well I left it at that and walked away. I wish him well but that is not my bowl of porridge.

My Cat's On Crack

Keeper of the Cheese
Validated User
Yep, pretty much, but for me it's pushed through frustrating into amusing. It will make me smile if a 2018 thread about the availability of Far West is posted next year. (Because it still won't be out by then.)

I'm not entirely sure there's dishonesty involved, exactly. I feel the updates are sincere, and there is a real belief that it will be finished by then. Then, something comes up or there's something that seems to need revision, and then the changes cascade, and then it's three months later.

I'm of the impression that the current version is far and away different from the original. Maybe the stuff that's already been released hasn't changed much, but we've never seen the heart of the rules that run the game. I wouldn't be surprised if those haven't been changed several times.
Sorry I didn't clip it down, but I vehemently disgree that it's not dishonesty. A couple delays are mistakes. Repeatedly promising that it WILL be done and not doing it, along with the fact he said the only reason for the initial delay was the printer, shows a long string of dishonesty. He cannot be trusted concerning this, plain and simple. I have tried to see it less venomously, but his history with FW destroyed any faith I have in his ability to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom