• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk RPG] Anyone Playing the Game?

JohnK

Validated User
Hullo, folks,

The Subject line pretty much says what's in the tin.

I'm very fond of the Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk RPG. The game mechanics are very nice, simple enough to use, and the game offers an interesting take on Persian mythology and a few others that aren't necessarily linked to the Arabian Nights stories...

However, the world material in the rulebook and the two supplements to this point is very...sparse, other than what's been done up for the city of Ur-Turuk itself.

So I'm wondering... Anyone running the game? Anyone doing anything with the game?

Flowswithdrek

Freelance Writer
Validated User
I've run one campaign with it and I'm hoping to write it up some day as a properly structured adventure. My players enjoyed it, but the magic system had most of us confused, most of the time. Setting up a new Vanham (I hope I spelt that correctly) was one of the highlights of the campaign. One of my players now refers tot he game as the Sorcerers of Arggggggg as the magic system kept melting his head. I'm currently using a modified version of the Sorcerers D6 system in another game.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I have it but I found that it was a little lacking in detail and felt the rules need further refinement. I was waiting for the City sourcebook to hit to review again but my interest faded by the time it hit.

JohnK

Validated User
Hullo, Flowswithdrek,

I've run one campaign with it and I'm hoping to write it up some day as a properly structured adventure.
That's good to hear. When did you run it? Can you tell me briefly what the campaign was about? How did it work out?

My players enjoyed it, but the magic system had most of us confused, most of the time.
How so? The freeform magic system of Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk seems pretty easy to use, and I find that the means of creating and using spells in the system (other than combat, where I've got a few problems) works pretty well. I suppose it is tricky at first, especially if one doesn't have a lot of experience with freeform systems, but I find the limitations on magic in SoUT to be rather neat and makes the sorcerer characters have to think a bit, too.

Setting up a new Vanham (I hope I spelt that correctly) was one of the highlights of the campaign.
My Friday night group will be creating their Vahnam this Friday night, and I'm looking forward to it. I've already created a sample Vahnam and was quite pleased with how that works and the various types of Vahnams one can create for the game.

One of my players now refers tot he game as the Sorcerers of Arggggggg as the magic system kept melting his head. I'm currently using a modified version of the Sorcerers D6 system in another game.
I am curious as to which game?

That said, I think that my players may decide to use and/or create some pre-existing spells for their characters, as they were rather intrigued by that.

Did you have the Spellbook that's available now when you created the Sorcerers for your game?

Oh, and thanks for posting your thoughts on this. Much appreciated. :)

JohnK

Validated User
Hullo, Skywalker,

I have it but I found that it was a little lacking in detail and felt the rules need further refinement.

The main rulebook is pretty much a rulebook and not much else is offered, other than the basics of the world and some stuff that one can guess about the world. I think the plan with SoUT is/was to write separate books covering various things. A Worldbook and a Bestiary are definitely needed

I was waiting for the City sourcebook to hit to review again but my interest faded by the time it hit.
Well, the City book did come out (though it took 4 years!), along with a Spellbook as well, but we're still waiting on other stuff. A Worldbook and a Bestiary are definitely needed, and a few adventures (including something to be run at conventions) wouldnt hurt sales, either. I'm also inclined to say that some actual, sample player characters for use in scenarios (especially convention ones) would be nice as well.

Btw, where did you review the game?

Flowswithdrek

Freelance Writer
Validated User
That's good to hear. When did you run it? Can you tell me briefly what the campaign was about? How did it work out?

The campaign lasted just over a year, finished about this time last year I think. The campaign was called 'The Children of Essalar'. The short version is the PCs are traveling from village to village collecting young adults from a list their master gave them, to return them to the Vanham for training. On the return journey the come across some priests on a holy quest carrying an ancient relic across the desert to the big city whose name I can't remember.

When they return to the vanham they discover it destroyed and their master dead. They do find final instructions from their master to move to the city across the desert and set up a new vanham. They find a choice of vanhams to purchase, each one has a few secrets attached, positive and negative, which the PC's don't yet know about. The Vanham they pick turns out to have a secret passage to an ancient temple, to the very temple the PCs later have issue with (they don't find the secret tunnel until their enemies use it against them).

Anyway, word gets around that the priests have uncovered a relic of huge power and are offering it to the vanham that wins overall in a great contest Chariot race around the city, Ship race around the cursed rocks, Spider web climb inside the temple. Anything goes, but its all a ruse. The PCs recognise the artefact as an ornament that was part of an ornate fountain in their old vanham. They decide to enter the contest to try and win it back, making plenty of enemies as they go. The priests have been infiltrated by the cult of the World Spider, and the contest is designed to weaken as many vanhams in the city so they can take over unopposed.

There is a lot going on, but the PC's eventually find out that they themselves are children of a mighty sorcerer called Essalar and have an unusual ability that allows them to use the artefact without destroying it (which is how magic works in the game). They use this power to combat the cult of the World Spider and save the city. It was quite funny when they discovered they were all brothers and sisters.

How so? The freeform magic system of Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk seems pretty easy to use, and I find that the means of creating and using spells in the system (other than combat, where I've got a few problems) works pretty well. I suppose it is tricky at first, especially if one doesn't have a lot of experience with freeform systems, but I find the limitations on magic in SoUT to be rather neat and makes the sorcerer characters have to think a bit, too.

I think we have never used a free form system, and their was a lot of number crunching... Not sure what the issue was, but the Sorcerers got dumped for the most part and the player relied on the other characters in the troope.

I am curious as to which game?

A home made sci fi setting called High Frequency... I was going to use another system, but I couldn't understand it, so on the day I winged it using the Sorcerers rules with a few tweaks here and their. It worked for a while, but I soon broke them :)

Top Bottom