• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[SotC] My SotC Project/Challenge: 28 Characters

Paul Watson

Validated User
When discussing SotC with my players, one thing I've pointed out is that there are no throw-away skills. A character could have any one of the skills as Superb, be built around that, and rock. The authors provided a set of stunts for each skill and copious advice on a skill-by-skill basis on how to use those skills to make the character interesting.

So, here's my project for the next month. I'll be taking the list of 28 skills and creating a character built around each one. It'll be a good exercise for me to get to know the system in depth. I'll be posting the characters in this thread and on my LJ, and updating this list with links to the entries.

<div style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS',arial,sans-serif;"><i><font size="5"><b>Eduardo Martinez, <font size="4">El Padre</font></b></font></i><font size="2"><br /><lj-cut><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Phase 1<br /> </b></i><font size="2">Eduardo was born into a poor, deeply devout family in rural Mexico. His beloved uncle, Jorge, was the local priest, responsible for a large, mostly farming area. To help the family out, Eduardo would often accompany his uncle when he made his rounds to minister to those who couldn't make it to mass.<br /> <br /> As they crossed a dusty yard towards the farmhouse, the sun setting behind them, his uncle reminded him to be respectful. They were calling on a family that had sent for him in desperation, claiming their infant child was possessed. "It is just colic or a bad cough, or something like that. Possession ... it just doesn't happen. But you will <b>not</b> mock them. I will minister to them, calm their fears. You will be respectful, yes?"<br /> <br /> "Yes. Uncle?"<br /> <br /> Jorge Martinez stopped with his hand on the slightly open door. There was fear in his nephews voice. He turned to reassure him, and stopped when he saw how pale he had grown. He was trembling.<br /> <br /> "What's wrong?"<br /> <br /> "There is something very bad here. We need to leave. Please!"<br /> <br /> His uncle sighed and smiled. "Don't be silly, Eduardo. It is only colic." He tousled his nephew's hair and pushed open the door ...<br /> <br /> "... madre del dios ..."<br /> <br /> </font><font size="2"><b>Aspects</b>: "I have looked long into the Abyss", Lost Uncle Jorge</font><br /> <br /> <i><b>Phase 2</b></i><br /> </font></font><font size="2">Eduardo knew how his "gift" might be viewed, so he tried to keep it secret. He tried and failed. Perhaps it was blind luck, perhaps events were "guided", but either way, he was very fortunate that the visiting Bishop who put the pieces together and figured out Eduardo's secret had knowledge of certain Vatican programs.<br /> <br /> Eduardo was sent out of his rural home, passed along until he reached Vatican City. It was there he was taught how to use his gifts as a covert Vatican operative. And just in time. The Great War was brutally inhumane and evil abounded, from Hell, from between the stars, from Earth's incomprehensibly distant past and it's distant future, and good old fashioned human evil.<br /> <br /> <b>Aspects</b>: "Vaya ... con Dios", Vatican covert operative<br /> </font><br /> <font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Phase 3<br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><i><b>El Padre and ... Judgment</b></i><br /> The secret records of the Vatican record the life of an 18th century Vatican operative and demon hunter who disappeared while on a mission in rural France. What became of him and his pistol was a mystery. Of special interest was his pistol, <i>Judgment</i>, specially constructed and blessed, deadly dangerous to any evil thing in it's sights. Over the centuries, many had sought the gun, some who's motives were less than pure.<br /> <br /> While in France, Martinez found a tantalizing clue as to the lost hunters last resting place. But he's not the only one to pick up on this clue, and now he's in a desperate race against those who will stop at nothing to get their hand on ... <i>Judgment.</i><br /> <br /> </font><font size="2"><b>Aspects</b>: Judgement, Ruthless<br /> </font> <br /> </font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Phase 4<br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><br /> <br /> </font><font size="2"><b>Aspects</b>:<br /> </font> <br /></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Phase 5<br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><br /> <br /> </font><font size="2"><b>Aspects</b>:<br /> </font> <br /> </font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Skills<br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2"><b>Superb</b>: Mysteries<br /> <b>Great</b>: </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Investigation</font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">, Resolve<br /> <b>Good</b>: </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Empathy, Intimidation, </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Rapport<br /> <b>Fair</b>: </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Athletics, </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Contacting, Deceit, </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Endurance</font></font></font></font><br /> <font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2"><b>Average</b>: </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Academics</font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">, Alertness, </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Fists, Resources, </font></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Weapons</font></font></font></font><br /> <font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><br /> </font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Stunts<br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><b>Mysteries</b>: Personal Artifact*, Psychic, Words on the Wind<br /> </font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><b>Resolve</b>: Inner Strength, Still Standing<br /> <br /> </font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><b>*Judgment</b></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"> <i>(Personal Artifact)</i></font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2">: Looking at a casual glance like an 18th century double-barreled flintlock pistol, Judgment is no ordinary pistol. It is crafted from cold-wrought iron and white oak, with holy prayers inscribed upon the barrels. It does not fire balls of lead; indeed, the barrels are sealed off with silver. Instead, it fires balls of pure Holiness which pass harmlessly through physical objects and the innocent, shredding not the flesh and bone of those evil, but their souls. It can only be wielded by those gifted with being able to establish a mystical connection with the weapon.<br /> <br /> Improvements: Blessed, Alternate Usage: Fired using Mysteries, Special Effect: Holy bullets.<br /> </font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="2"><br /> </font></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b>Inspirations<br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">There's a bit of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsignor_Martinez">Monsignor Martinez</a> in here, a bit of Hellboy, a bit of Sylvia from <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_the_wolf"><i>Brotherhood of the Wolf</i></a>, and a bit of John Constantine. Oh, and a smattering of Lovecraft. The gun idea came originally from one of my players, Ben, with some inspiration from Hellboy's <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_%28Hellboy%29">Good Samaritan</a> and the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colt_%28Supernatural%29">Colt</a> from Supernatural.<br /><br /></font></font></font></font><font><font size="2"><font size="4"><i><b>Notes</b></i></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b><br /> </b></i></font></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><font size="3"><font size="2">Feel free to comment on this, make suggestions or constructive criticisms. I may tweak it a bit; I'm not absolutely 100% happy with the Aspects, myself.</font></font></font></font></font></font></lj-cut></font><font size="5"><font size="4"><i><b><br /></b></i></font></font></div>

Uruush

Validated User
Very nice. 28 skills is a lot. If you want to farm 8 of them out, I'll be happy to make one, following your example. I'm sure there are others on the board that would be happy to take up some of the slack. We've seen a lot of other very cool characters with different skills at the peak already.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
b>Aspects</b>: "I have looked long into the Abyss", Lost Uncle Jorge</font><br /> <br />
How about:

"I've seen evil and it ain't pretty", and "The Demons have Uncle Jorge, and they want me".

<b>Aspects</b>: Vatican covert operative<br />
Maybe: I'm a Hitman for God

<b>Aspects</b>: Ruthless<br />
Hmmm, maybe replace this one with "Hell has hitmen too"

My suggestions may be more toward violence than you intended him to be. :)

I would also put Guns in the skill tree because you need some way to take out the flesh and blood minions before you can bring 'Judgment' into play. (I would also give Judgment a more flashy name like Hammer of God ;) )

Mitch

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Awesome character. I like him as he is. I'm intrigued by your idea -- are you open to contributions or is this a one-man show?

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
As I think I said over on your LJ, I LOVE the idea of this project, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I think I also said: I like this character, but I admit I'm a bit curious to ALSO see a Mysteries focused character who doesn't back-door his Mysteries skill into a Guns substitute. :D

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
As I think I said over on your LJ, I LOVE the idea of this project, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I think I also said: I like this character, but I admit I'm a bit curious to ALSO see a Mysteries focused character who doesn't back-door his Mysteries skill into a Guns substitute. :D

There are other reasons to become a priest?

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User
"I've seen evil and it ain't pretty", and "The Demons have Uncle Jorge, and they want me".
You could probably throw some bible quotes in here.

Maybe: I'm a Hitman for God
I'd come up with the name of the Vatican Hit Squad. Something like a cross between the Church and the Mafia. And definitely in Latin.

Hmmm, maybe replace this one with "Hell has hitmen too"
Eye for an Eye?

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus saying this is positively rockin'. I'm ever so slowly being sold on SotC, after being pretty lukewarm about Fudge and FATE both.

Top Bottom