Space Marine and Feminism - Positive!

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
I've noticed that too, when playing the game, but I still feel the need to post this little gem of a post:

http://designislaw.tumblr.com/post/10076180504/warhammer-40-000-space-marine-most-suprisingly [Language soooooo fucking not safe for work.]

Post said:
Mira doesn’t give a shit for fan servicing the nerds. She’s running an entire fucking army against horrible fucking monsters, goddamn Orks, who are completely oblivious to the fact that they’re latent telepaths and the only reason any of their technology works is because they fucking believe it goddamn works, and charge into a fight like a shark smells blood - they are horrid beasts that would take the heart of any man. Mira doesn’t have time for your fucking whining, goddamn no. She’s managing multiple fronts, keeping her men on the motherfucking line shooting, keeping sentry turret defenses up, making sure air fucking transports are taking motherfucking things where they need to goddamn go, I mean, holy fuck, if you took the storyline to this game and gave it to an obscure independent strategy game developer in the late 90s, you wouldn’t be playing as Titus at fucking all, because Mira’s story is way more fascinating and entertaining on the sheer fucking scale, and the reliance, of the big strong manly man that is Captain Titus, who is so fucking manly he has metal bolts drilled in his forehead to show his rank on the battlefield, has to rely on Mira on multiple occasions to move the plot motherfucking forward, and you know what? They have a completely platonic fucking relationship. Captain Titus has to have his ass pulled out of the fire in the very end by Mira, who ends up catching him in mid-fucking-air with a lucky dropship catch, and there’s no forced romantic subtext or any of that horseshit. No, none of that.

And that’s just the cinematics. In certain sections of the actual game, Mira’s fighting right fucking alongside you in the shit - against the terrifying horrors of the universe, against giant eight foot tall ubermensch, not being a damsel in distress or someone to be babied - she’s shooting and shouting and being the complete hardass she goddamn righteously is.

And, yes, THAT'S the kind of female character I want to see more often. Not one wearing high-heels and skimpy clothing to a fight. Not one crooning for the love, support and/or approval of some male fuckup.

And that it's Warhammer 40.000 Space Marine that delivers this... Is surprising. But in a very, very good way.

I salute you, 2nd LT Mira. I salute you. :)

Last edited:

Kargush

Free range Norwegian snow monkey
Banned
Validated User
You just know she'll make general if she lives long enough.

Kargush

Free range Norwegian snow monkey
Banned
Validated User
Tiny, tiny little pedantic rant: She doesn't have purple eyes. Which, supposedly, all Cadians have.

EDIT: Blue or purple eyes. Just did a quick check of my sources (mostly Abnett but also Dembski-Bowden).

Last edited:

Matt.Ceb

Validated User
Tiny, tiny little pedantic rant: She doesn't have purple eyes. Which, supposedly, all Cadians have.
Strangely enough, that's also the very same thing I had against the Game of Thrones TV Show: "The bastards can make a fucking dwarf out of John Rhys-Davis but a pair of coloured lenses is too much for this big-budget show?!" :D

Yeah, the eye colour thing is something they overlooked, but it's also something that GW overlooks in some of their own fluff. (I'm reasonably certain that I've read novels describing Cadians with different eye colours.)

Matt.Ceb

Validated User
I just realized something: Relic/THQ are generally on-the-ball in that respect.

In DoW2 and Retribution each and every female character was strong, competent and independent, as well as not played and over-sexualized for cheap and creepy fan-service.

Much better than in some games where the protagonist, lead and player character is female.

Shadowrender

Misanthropovore
Banned
Validated User
I just realized something: Relic/THQ are generally on-the-ball in that respect.

In DoW2 and Retribution each and every female character was strong, competent and independent, as well as not played and over-sexualized for cheap and creepy fan-service.

Much better than in some games where the protagonist, lead and player character is female.
Indeed, Inquiditor andrastia was a good character and certainly not sexualized.

I have a bit of a problem with the 40K Introduction though.
Where the hell are my "evil space lizards", the slann haven't been in the game for ages, and the zoats got eaten. :p
Unless they mean the kroot, but that seems like a stretch.

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Strangely enough, that's also the very same thing I had against the Game of Thrones TV Show: "The bastards can make a fucking dwarf out of John Rhys-Davis but a pair of coloured lenses is too much for this big-budget show?!" :D
They did have colored lenses to begin with, but the actors all hated them so much they stopped using them.

Top Bottom