Speak Easy in the Golden Bough IC Thread.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
The IC home for the investigators in a succession of linked Call of Cthulhu games, currently gm'd by Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder.
Wiki
Previous Wiki
I shall show you fear in a handful of dust. Mexico 1916. A prequel.
The Sanatarium OOC thread.

Current investigators and players

Last edited:

Validated User
The Golden Bough speakeasy, Arkham.

23.00 hrs Monday night, March 9th 1925. Nine years to the day since the battle of Columbus.

It's a good party.

In one corner a bunch of ex military men and their partners stand surrounding a piano, singing to their hearts content, whilst every table in the place is filled with their buddies in arms, mixed with artists, writers, painters and sundry other folk from the city of Arkham.

A reunion of sorts had been organised, for former and still serving members of the 13th Cavalry on the east coast, but word had soon got out and locals who had served in the Great War had made their way here to drink, tell stories and remember fallen comrades. The hostess, Edna O'Flynn, a part time spiritualist and war widow, oversees the goings on from beside the long bar, a drink in one hand and her other on the shoulder of her latest gentleman friend, a Doctor from Boston.

There'd been a small scuffle earlier between a fewer of the drunker lads, but they'd been calmed by Colonel Frank Tompkins, the retired Executive Officer of the 13th Cavalry and Beauregard Fieldings who was now a major and still served with the regiment. The former had made sure that the drink flowed and the latter was currently leading the singing with a rather bawdy song.

Deep within the throng sat a large round table, filled with bottles, old books, glasses and over flowing ash trays. A group of men and women sit about it, deep in animated conversation, partly hidden by cigarette smoke, laughing and joking and in some cases wiping away tears of grief. There's a couple of items being passed from person to person: War souvenirs, a notebook or two, photographs and finally a set of jade snake eyes. At the appearance of the stones, several of the men seem to sober up...

Last edited:

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thibodeau

Thibodeau, setting down his brandy, say, "So, as I was saying, it looks like native peoples all over the continent also have experience of this snake god or at least the worship of it. There's a place up in Maine that I think we may want to check out eventually, but there's an even nearer spot called Fox River Falls that has some petroglyphs much like the ones we found down in Mexico. I'm sure it's nice and scenic - much nicer than that box canyon down in Mexico. At least, according to what I've read. Anyhow, I figure it would be nice to get out of town with the old lads again and I certainly don't want to head up there without the lot of you."

He takes a drink. "I don't particularly want to stick my hand in the gator's mouth again, but it's one thing for this sort of...thing to be going on in the wilds of northern Mexico, and another for it to be happening so close to home."

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kimball

Ex-Private Jeffrey Kimball takes a moderate sip of whiskey and nods in response to Thibodeau's words. "Might be nice to get away," he says. "There's been a mess of snakes active at Summers's place, and I mean a lot of 'em. The old-timers say they've never seen so many. Wouldn't mind a little trip up north; maybe it'll be too cold for the little bastards."

RuneMagus

Validated User
"Yeah, this snake god ain't exactly evil, or not always according to what I discovered. That shaman we killed certainly was though, so if we go then I'm taking no risks. I'm also taking the spear. There may be a way of making more if we can find if written anywhere. Perhaps in the Fox River Falls petroglyphs."

Validated User
Also sat at the table, apart from the ex troopers and their new Arkham companions, are several other friends from the great war. They've not been following the story about snakes, instead sharing their own tales from the war.

One of them, Jerry Maklin, a Sapper known to Captain Summers, leans close to his friend asking "So how's life with you now? Heard you got yourself some land. Working it or just enjoying the view?"

Summers knew that his friend ran a demolitions business down in Boston.

Validated User
"Yeah, this snake god ain't exactly evil, or not always according to what I discovered. That shaman we killed certainly was though, so if we go then I'm taking no risks. I'm also taking the spear. There may be a way of making more if we can find if written anywhere. Perhaps in the Fox River Falls petroglyphs."
Scott feels a hand squeeze his shoulder, a chair is pulled in alongside him and there is Edna the party's host

"Still talking about snakes are we boys. Seems like that's all you care about" and she gives the table a lascivious wink and a naughty laugh. But she turns serious quickly

"But hey I might have something for you. I mentioned those spooky eyes you have to a friend of mine and she said she'd have a look at them. She's staying at my house and will be holding a spiritual evening this Friday night. It will be a packed event so at the most four of you can come, and dress up will you darlings. Make the effort for me."

Last edited:

Validated User
Kimball

Ex-Private Jeffrey Kimball takes a moderate sip of whiskey and nods in response to Thibodeau's words. "Might be nice to get away," he says. "There's been a mess of snakes active at Summers's place, and I mean a lot of 'em. The old-timers say they've never seen so many. Wouldn't mind a little trip up north; maybe it'll be too cold for the little bastards."
As Kimball listens to Edna, someone passes him a particularly beautiful pistol. It's a Mauser C96 and in great condition. It's part of the war souvenirs doing the rounds and it's owner is an incredibly twitchy ex soldier who'd joined their table a while back. He'd not said much but had listened avidly to their stories. Now he leans close to Kimball and stutters "Got her in France...I was with the 308th....In the Argonne Forest. If you want to help an old soldier out it's yours for $100."

OOC: A .38 automatic would cost you something like $30 if you went to a shop. If you make a Know roll you recognise the regiment and area in France and that he is a survivor and member of one of the Lost Battalions.

Validated User
Thibodeau

He takes a drink. "I don't particularly want to stick my hand in the gator's mouth again, but it's one thing for this sort of...thing to be going on in the wilds of northern Mexico, and another for it to be happening so close to home."
Following Edna is her newest gentleman friend, one of a long line of suitors that the journalist had observed over the years since he first met her. He too pulled up a seat next to Thibodeau and is obviously rather drunk.

A wealthy Physician and inhabitant of Boston, Thibodeau knew Doctor Edward Call to be a bore, but not unkind. An arm is placed across the journalist's shoulder and he finds himself blasted by alcohol fumes.

"Ah, good to see you old man. I was thinking of you today. Was in town and had to ask directions from an old Lady running one of those lunch carts...The one outside the big church, up near the university...You know the one!"

Thibodeau does, it's Graham's Lunch cart, run by the diminutive 'Mother' Philomena Graham. A lunch cart frequented by William Peck, the lead writer at the Arkham Gazette and therefore Thibodeau's major competitor.

"Well anyways I heard a couple of workmen talking about how they had found a cat in a house they were working on, concealed in a corner, behind some floorboards. All dried up like those ones you see in the museums….You know from Egypt.

Thought of you and the stuff you like to write about." He taps his nose drunkenly "Not told anyone else...Not a soul."

OOC: An occult roll success will mean that Thibodeau has heard of Witches sometimes placing dead cats as wards. An history/anthropology roll would remind you that cats were held in great esteem in ancient Egypt and were often connected with magicians. An Egyptian mummified cat would be valuable on the market today.

Either way it's certainly a story that your paper would print...

Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As Kimball listens to Edna, someone passes him a particularly beautiful pistol. It's a Mauser C96 and in great condition. It's part of the war souvenirs doing the rounds and it's owner is an incredibly twitchy ex soldier who'd joined their table a while back. He'd not said much but had listened avidly to their stories. Now he leans close to Kimball and stutters "Got her in France...I was with the 308th....In the Argonne Forest. If you want to help an old soldier out it's yours for $100."
Kimball cocks an eyebrow at the other man, but takes the pistol and examines it carefully. "Nice piece. Well-maintained. Got any ammunition to go with it?"

He sets the pistol on the table. "Argonne, you say? What's your name, soldier? Mine's Kimball, Jeff Kimball."

OOC: Know 9/75, success.

Top Bottom