Speak Easy in the Golden Bough IC Thread.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Kimball cocks an eyebrow at the other man, but takes the pistol and examines it carefully. "Nice piece. Well-maintained. Got any ammunition to go with it?"

He sets the pistol on the table. "Argonne, you say? What's your name, soldier? Mine's Kimball, Jeff Kimball."
The man nods enthusiastically as he pulls a satchel up from beneath the table "Aye….Lots" and a cascade of bullets falls from the bag onto the table in front of Kimball. There must be a hundred rounds at least.

"Name's, eh, Jimmy Leigh. Nice to meet you Mr Kimball. Youse were 13th Cavalry yes. Saw action down Mexico way. Never been. Never been. Just France for me." Here he gets a far away look in his eyes and for a long while he just stares into the space above Kimball's head. Not moving except for the occasional twitch.

Then continuing as if there'd been no gap in the conversation "Bit hard up at the moment. Bullets come with the gun. Got it off a dead Officer. Just wouldn't let go of it he wouldn't. Awful tough the dead ones. Just keep on going and going they do."

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thibodeau

OOC: 21/50 is a success on Occult. 12/50 is a success on Anthropology

"Well anyways I heard a couple of workmen talking about how they had found a cat in a house they were working on, concealed in a corner, behind some floorboards. All dried up like those ones you see in the museums….You know from Egypt.

Thought of you and the stuff you like to write about." He taps his nose drunkenly "Not told anyone else...Not a soul."
Thibodeau looks at Doctor Call and says: "That is a curious business. Do you know the address of the house? Or the name of the owner?"

Validated User
Thibodeau

OOC: 21/50 is a success on Occult. 12/50 is a success on Anthropology

Thibodeau looks at Doctor Call and says: "That is a curious business. Do you know the address of the house? Or the name of the owner?"
"No idea. Must have been close to the lunch cart. Probably eat there every day. The workmen that is."

"Edna....Edna dear?" The doctor tries to get her attention before slowly getting up " Gotta use the restroom. Excuse me..." and off he wobbles.

RuneMagus

Validated User
Scott feels a hand squeeze his shoulder, a chair is pulled in alongside him and there is Edna the party's host

"Still talking about snakes are we boys. Seems like that's all you care about" and she gives the table a lascivious wink and a naughty laugh. But she turns serious quickly

"But hey I might have something for you. I mentioned those spooky eyes you have to a friend of mine and she said she'd have a look at them. She's staying at my house and will be holding a spiritual evening this Friday night. It will be a packed event so at the most four of you can come, and dress up will you darlings. Make the effort for me."
James laughs "Can scrub up good as the next fella, especially if it's a chance to visit you at home" and he returns the wink.

The man nods enthusiastically as he pulls a satchel up from beneath the table "Aye….Lots" and a cascade of bullets falls from the bag onto the table in front of Kimball. There must be a hundred rounds at least.

"Name's, eh, Jimmy Leigh. Nice to meet you Mr Kimball. Youse were 13th Cavalry yes. Saw action down Mexico way. Never been. Never been. Just France for me." Here he gets a far away look in his eyes and for a long while he just stares into the space above Kimball's head. Not moving except for the occasional twitch.

Then continuing as if there'd been no gap in the conversation "Bit hard up at the moment. Bullets come with the gun. Got it off a dead Officer. Just wouldn't let go of it he wouldn't. Awful tough the dead ones. Just keep on going and going they do."
Overhearing part of what the man said, a part that chills him James offers "You guys had it bad, real bad. Pull up a chair and share a drink, what you drinking?"

When the man is armed with a drink he says "Yeah, some say the sleep of the dead. I say sometimes they don't know when to fall asleep" he pauses watching the man's reactions before continuing "I say sometimes they don't know they're not meant to wake."

Validated User
James laughs "Can scrub up good as the next fella, especially if it's a chance to visit you at home" and he returns the wink.
Edna rolls her eyes "Well just make sure you all turn up after I went to the trouble of making you an introduction. I don't want you wasting Madam Yolanda's time you hear?"

Overhearing part of what the man said, a part that chills him James offers "You guys had it bad, real bad. Pull up a chair and share a drink, what you drinking?"

When the man is armed with a drink he says "Yeah, some say the sleep of the dead. I say sometimes they don't know when to fall asleep" he pauses watching the man's reactions before continuing "I say sometimes they don't know they're not meant to wake."
Jimmy Leigh jumps in his seat at Scott's sudden joining of the conversation, and for the moment doesn't seem to know what to say in response, but eventually answers.

"Ah...No I don't drink...Thanks for the offer though" he stammers nervously, wide eyes flitting between Kimball, the Mauser and Scott. He begins to twist the empty satchel in his hands.

"Sleep? No these ones weren't sleeping mister. Hey you gonna buy the gun Mr Kimball?"

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kimball starts as the cascade of bullets rattle onto the table, and quickly gathers them into a heap to keep them from rolling away. "So I see," he says, picking up a couple of bullets and checking them for signs of corrosion.

"Bad business, from what I heard," he says of the other man's story. He gives James a sharp look but doesn't interfere. "Yes, I'll buy this gun from you, Mr Leigh. Let me see if I've got that much on me."

He pulls out his wallet and begins carefully counting bills.

OOC: Deliberately being slow here in the hopes that Jimmy will tell his tale.

Validated User
At the sight of the money the great war veteren visibly relaxes and asks one of the staff for a Coke.

"My wife will be happy. Jimmy she says You gotta put some money on this here table or we gonna starve. So when I heard about tonight I just knew they'd be a gentleman willing to help. Been hard since the war, ain't right in my head. Dead men should stay dead shouldn't they? As Christ is my witness they shouldnt get back up and try and eat the living."

"Doctors told me that I was shell shocked. Four years in the hospital a'fore they let me out. Still have the dreams...Reckon they're with me for ever."

OOC: The bullets are in good condition. Kimball make a spot hidden roll, a success will show that some have a cross carved on the lead. For religious reasons or to make dum dums Kimball doesnt know.
Scott can see that the soldier just got spooked by his sudden arrival. Still shell shocked despite the hospital time.

Validated User
Edna joins Thibodeau, sitting in the doctor's newly vacated chair. On her otherside is Captain Summer who is chatting to his old war buddy the Sapper Jerry Maklin.

"How you been ace?" Edna asks of the reporter "I hope you will come to my party, Madame Yolanda is expecting a write up in that rag of yours."

She nods over at Thockmorton's sister Abigail, who was dancing near the piano. The young lady had moved up from Boston to study at the University and was boarding at Edna's.

"She will be dissapointed if you lot don't come. You are all a link to her brother and she needs some cheering up."

Too those watching its pretty obvious she's having a gay old time, so It's anyone's guess what Edna is going on about.

"What was Edward saying? You don't think he's a bore do you? He is isn't he, I can see it in your eyes?" Edna laughs.

RuneMagus

Validated User
James offers his hand, moving and speaking in a calmer way "pardon my manners. Scott's the name, James Scott formerly lieutenant 13th. Fly boy, not a mud hugger like you guys."

"Want some food with that Coke?"

Giving the man a chance to order and drink he asks in a while "Hard times for many. Did you have a trade before you went in?"

Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Can't argue with you there," Kimball says sympathetically, counting out three twenties and four tens. "Seen my share of dead men who didn't want to stay put." He hesitates, then adds an extra ten.

"Though the ones I saw weren't trying to eat anyone," he continues, sliding the money over to Jimmy. "Ain't right. I don't suppose you have any idea why?"

He begins collecting the bullets, separating the cross-marked ones into a smaller pile.

Top Bottom