Speak Easy in the Golden Bough IC Thread.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
James offers his hand, moving and speaking in a calmer way "pardon my manners. Scott's the name, James Scott formerly lieutenant 13th. Fly boy, not a mud hugger like you guys."

"Want some food with that Coke?"

Giving the man a chance to order and drink he asks in a while "Hard times for many. Did you have a trade before you went in?"
"Can't argue with you there," Kimball says sympathetically, counting out three twenties and four tens. "Seen my share of dead men who didn't want to stay put." He hesitates, then adds an extra ten.

"Though the ones I saw weren't trying to eat anyone," he continues, sliding the money over to Jimmy. "Ain't right. I don't suppose you have any idea why?"

He begins collecting the bullets, separating the cross-marked ones into a smaller pile.
Turning down the offer of food Jimmy takes a moment to compose himself.
"I was...I mean I am a plumber. Find it hard keeping down a job though. You know how it is."

Then turning to Kimball he continues "You'll laugh at me but....Something evil was in that forest. We found it underground...a cave...With pictures....We ran, chased out by something. Then the dead came. We saw things eating corpses, not human, like dogs but two legged, but then we stumbled on a village. The dead just...just kept coming. Only a few of us made it back. No one talked about what we saw.
An officer came....Someone special...he believed in me, but then he went and I never saw him again ."

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"I believe you," Kimball says quietly. "I wouldn't have before that business in Mexico, but . . . 'snot the first time I've heard of dead men walking. Or seen them."

He takes another drink of whiskey. "Lost some good men, good friends. Your officer, what was his name? Men like that should be remembered."

Validated User
"I believe you," Kimball says quietly. "I wouldn't have before that business in Mexico, but . . . 'snot the first time I've heard of dead men walking. Or seen them."

He takes another drink of whiskey. "Lost some good men, good friends. Your officer, what was his name? Men like that should be remembered."
"Officer? One who asked me what happened? Name was Demon...Deman. Yes Von Deman. Was a Colonel and not regular army."

OOC: Both Kimball & Scott remember that there was a major Von Deman who had debriefed them after Mexico.

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also sat at the table, apart from the ex troopers and their new Arkham companions, are several other friends from the great war. They've not been following the story about snakes, instead sharing their own tales from the war.

One of them, Jerry Maklin, a Sapper known to Captain Summers, leans close to his friend asking "So how's life with you now? Heard you got yourself some land. Working it or just enjoying the view?"

Summers knew that his friend ran a demolitions business down in Boston.
"Gettin' on, gettin' on," Summers replied. "Lot of unworked, unfinished mines out there, and that's what we're doing, mostly, not real good land for raising stock." He just smiled at that, and added nothing to the commentary of snakes.

At the sight of the money the great war veteren visibly relaxes and asks one of the staff for a Coke.

"My wife will be happy. Jimmy she says You gotta put some money on this here table or we gonna starve. So when I heard about tonight I just knew they'd be a gentleman willing to help. Been hard since the war, ain't right in my head. Dead men should stay dead shouldn't they? As Christ is my witness they shouldnt get back up and try and eat the living."

"Doctors told me that I was shell shocked. Four years in the hospital a'fore they let me out. Still have the dreams...Reckon they're with me for ever."
Summers looked over and said, more to himself, though his voice carried, "Sometimes that's the way it went, son. The Argonne wasn't nice to either side." He just looked into those dying eyes with his own, understanding eyes that...masked the dead underneath. "That's just the way it went."

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Von Deman?" Kimball says, surprised. "I think I met him briefly. Seemed like a good man. Damn army needs more like him, and less bean-counters."

RuneMagus

Validated User
James writes down a number on a napkin and slides it over the table to Jimmy "We've not got any need for a plumber, not at the moment anyway, but there's always odd jobs need doing around the airfield. If you don't mind putting your hands to a less skilled job or two then call this. Ask for Uncle Bob and tell him James gave you the number."

Then he adds "It's quieter out there too, apart from the mower perhaps and the planes of course. Less crowded than town and it's on the bus route."

Validated User
"Gettin' on, gettin' on," Summers replied. "Lot of unworked, unfinished mines out there, and that's what we're doing, mostly, not real good land for raising stock." He just smiled at that, and added nothing to the commentary of snakes.
Jerry smiles "Sounds like they'd be plenty of work out there for someone like me. Anyways now you are over here you should come visit me in Boston. I've never been so busy." He hands over a business card.

Summers looked over and said, more to himself, though his voice carried, "Sometimes that's the way it went, son. The Argonne wasn't nice to either side." He just looked into those dying eyes with his own, understanding eyes that...masked the dead underneath. "That's just the way it went."
The man nods in reply.

Validated User
James writes down a number on a napkin and slides it over the table to Jimmy "We've not got any need for a plumber, not at the moment anyway, but there's always odd jobs need doing around the airfield. If you don't mind putting your hands to a less skilled job or two then call this. Ask for Uncle Bob and tell him James gave you the number."

Then he adds "It's quieter out there too, apart from the mower perhaps and the planes of course. Less crowded than town and it's on the bus route."
"Why thanks Lieutenant. For a flyboy you ain't so bad. No offence meant". The man seems genuinely happy at the job offer.

"Von Deman?" Kimball says, surprised. "I think I met him briefly. Seemed like a good man. Damn army needs more like him, and less bean-counters."
"True that. I heard he's a bigshot in the army now. A general no less. Military intelligence they call it though i've no idea what that entails. Never seemed to be much intelligence going on during the war."

Last edited:

Validated User
The party is still going strong and through the smoke those watching see that the door to the Speakeasy opens. Three men are ushered in by the bouncer, dressed in good quality suits tailored in the latest style.

Edna stiffens at the sight of them and after excusing herself gets up and joins them for a short discussion before leading them in to her office behind the bar.

Scott recognises them as men working for Danny O'Bannion, the gangster responsible for most of the crime in the city, including bootlegging.

OOC: If Thibodeau makes a Knowledge roll he recognises them too.

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: If Thibodeau makes a Knowledge roll he recognises them too.
OOC: How about Brian for the bootleggers on the criminal aspect, and how about Summers on Von Deman?

Top Bottom