Speak to me of Deckbuilding Games

Asklepios

Validated User
Possession outside of 2 player games is very irritating, for sure. Alchemy isn't my favourite expansion by any means, but we still use its cards occasionally.

For me, the set which I'll almost use is Prosperity, as the game is so much better with colonies and platinum. With just provinces as the win condition its too often a case of going BM+X (that is, big money + a single copy of a drawing card) and outpacing almost any interesting engine. With colonies, it's almost always the case you have to build a good deck engine to succeed.

I also bought Blood Bowl Team Manager because it was marketed as a deck builder. It has only some very very very light deck building, however. Not a completely bad game, but not one I want to play again and again.
Played that one a lot, too, but didn't occur to me to mention that as a deckbuilding game.

It's a fine little game, though the opportunity to show skill is pretty small, and there's serious balance issues between the races. Human, Skaven and Undead were on the top tier, Vampires and Dwarves occupied the low tier, and every other team floats around the middle...

Knaight

Validated User
I like Alchemy. It's far from perfect, and kind of needs to be self contained more than some sets do, but if you don't just mix all the sets together it works. There's also all sorts of really good sets after it, to push back a bit on the broader claim that Alchemy was a point past which Dominion fell apart.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Played that one a lot, too, but didn't occur to me to mention that as a deckbuilding game.

It's a fine little game, though the opportunity to show skill is pretty small, and there's serious balance issues between the races. Human, Skaven and Undead were on the top tier, Vampires and Dwarves occupied the low tier, and every other team floats around the middle...
Yea, I dont know, it has some deck building, but the bulck of the strategy is somewhere else.

Top Bottom