• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Spectacular Characters!

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
I've completed the Core Rules in my Spectaculars WIR, and while I plan on reading through the rest, I also wanted to generate some heroes and villains. I spun up a little Spectaculars generator on perchance.org, and thought I'd start showing off how character (and villain) creation work.

Melt Down

Genre: Street-level
Hero
Archetype:
Soldier of Fortune
Powers Drawn: Corrosion, Super Speed, Laser Generation, Telekinesis, Arsenal
Powers Selected: Corrosion, Super Speed, Arsenal
Identities Drawn: Lawyer, Bartender, Homemaker
Identity: Homemaker

After two tours in Trucial Kurac, Jamal Barlow was a broken man. Luckily, his wife's company offered good health insurance, letting him seek treatment for his PTSD. Loud noises were a problem, but Jamal stayed home to raise his two daughters. He was a good husband, a good father, and a fragile man. Until one afternoon, he found himself pinned between the police and a minor supervillain. The sustained gunfire was too much, and suddenly, latent powers Jamal didn't know he had manifested. Everything slowed down. He lay on the street, huddled, crying and screaming, until he stopped, realizing that time had frozen still. He walked around the firefight, and realized he could stop the supervillain right there.

Now, Melt Down protects the streets of Emerald City. His super speed, combined with a wide variety of homemade acids and stolen guns, allows Melt Down to stop many crimes the moment he hears about them. Juggling two elementary aged children and a secret identity isn't easy, but the super speed helps. He tries to avoid the use of guns, instead preferring to take enemies out by either speeding around them or melting their tools of destruction. Currently, Melt Down hopes to find a super team to join; his time in Trucial Kurac left no doubt about the importance of someone having your back.

Last edited:

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Synth

Genre: Super Science
Hero
Archetype:
Power Armor Pilot (Environmental Adaptation, Machine Strength)
Powers Drawn: Technopathy, Telepathy, Superspeed, Debilitation, Armor
Powers Selected: Technopathy, Armor, Flight
Identities Drawn: White-collar Worker, Stunt Performer, Musician
Identity: Musician

Makenna "Kenny" Vongsay was just your average college student at the University of Washington, trying to find time for her band in between classes and a job at Starbucks. And, like your average college student in Emerald City, a venue her band was playing at was home to a battle between the villain Dirge and the Seattle Sentinels. Kenny was knocked off the stage by a blast of Dirge's music.

When she awoke, she found that she could talk to machines. Or more accurately, she could sing to machines. With her voice, she could manipulate almost any machine with a processor. She could play them like an instrument. Determined never to let another show be disrupted by Seattle's supervillainy again, she sung herself a suit of armor and took to the streets as Synth.

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Adding Aspirations and Turmoils.

The Passerby

Genre: Cosmic
Hero
Archetype:
Starfarer
Powers Drawn: Phasing, Explosions, Air Manipulation, Force Fields, Light Manipulation
Powers Selected: Phasing, Explosions, Flight
Identities Drawn: Salvager, Outcast, Executive
Identity: Executive
Aspiration: "I'm going to make Graf Computing a household name."
Turmoil: "Part of me is still stuck in the Schrodinger Field, and it's made me distant from humanity."

Adrian Graf was a start-up CEO in Dallas, the founder of a leader in quantum computing. His team was making excellent progress in the development of entanglement-derived combinatorics, when one of their computers exploded. It killed most of the research team, vaporizing them as they were shoved through a barrier into the space between dimensions. This space, called the Schrodinger Field, didn't kill Graf. He lived, and was able to come back to our dimension. Mostly. A part of him is still there. But now, he can phase through matter (causing things to explode if he thinks about it just right). He can't completely leave the Schrodinger Field now, though, so he sets out to wander the stars, hoping to find a more advanced civilization who can help him come all the way home. While traveling, he will step in to help - Graf knows his power begets a responsibility.

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Joan of Arc

Genre: Magic
Hero
Archetype:
Legendary Warrior
Powers Drawn: Clairvoyance, Time Manipulation, Corrosion, Energy Manipulation, Necromancy
Powers Selected: Signature Weapon, Clairvoyance, Time Manipulation
Identities Drawn: Independently Wealthy, Reporter, Lawyer
Identity: Independently Wealthy
Aspiration: "I'm going to amass a great collection of art without relying on my wealth."
Turmoil: "I get dumped every time I tell somebody who I truly am."

Jeanne Darcy is a curator of fine art, who has built a healthy financial portfolio trading in expensive collections. In truth, she is Joan of Arc, turned back from the gates of Heaven when she was burned in Compiègne. She has died four times since, each time being turned back and told her work is not yet complete. Now, she ventures forth in Metroplex (she believes that there is good money to be made trading in the art of the K'Jass aliens), fighting crime as the masked vigilante Joan of Arc, with her sword Fierbois and her knowledge of the future. After almost 600 years of practice, her clairvoyance has grown into the ability to speed up and slow down time.

Last edited:

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
I realized writing up new characters is not as interesting to me (slash, the world) as showing how existing supers would be tackled, so I thought I'd work on that instead. Not that Spectaculars is meant to mimic planned/existing characters, but I think seeing how a system handles the strengths and weaknesses highlights what it prioritizes. For example, Spectaculars only allows for three powers, and some characters are hard to accommodate with just three powers.

The Hulk

Archetype: Monster
Powers: Super Toughness, Super Strength
Identity: Superhuman Researcher (this makes more sense than pure scientist, as Bruce Banner's areas of research are often superhero related)
Aspiration: "I'm going to find peace within myself."
Turmoil: "Everybody wants a piece of me."

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Iron Man

Archetype: Power Armor Pilot (A.I. Assistant, Machine Strength)
Powers: Energy Blast, Flight
Identity: Futurist
Aspiration: "I'm going to keep the Earth safe."
Turmoil: "I'm a raging alcoholic and an arrogant prick."

Top Bottom