Spirit Island is really good

durecellrabbit

Validated User
A friend introduced me to this game through tabletop simulator last weekend and I've been playing it almost everyday since then. It's my new favourite game and I've not been as excited about a board game since Dominion and Puerto Rico.

I really like the range of options for dealing with the invaders and how knowing two of their actions lets you make plans in advance, similar to Into the Breach. I've tried most of the spirits by now, my favourite is River Surges in Sunlight for it's tactical pushing gameplay.

So I've been slow picking this game up and might have missed the boat but is anyone else fans of it?

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I've played it six or seven times, twice with the more advanced rules and, yeah, this is a very cool game and manages to be well-balanced while being really replayable.

I'm a fan of the Earth spirits because their abilities tend to be rather straightforward and I am not a subtle player. My son LOVES playing the Shadow spirits because, well, I guess he likes fomenting terror? Might want to check into that.

Victim

Validated User
Yeah, this has become our favorite heavy coop of late. OTOH, we seem to be finding it hard to pick out the right difficulty.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I've played it six or seven times, twice with the more advanced rules and, yeah, this is a very cool game and manages to be well-balanced while being really replayable.

I'm a fan of the Earth spirits because their abilities tend to be rather straightforward and I am not a subtle player. My son LOVES playing the Shadow spirits because, well, I guess he likes fomenting terror? Might want to check into that.
My friend played the Nightmare spirit in one of our games. His board quickly descended into densely populated blighted hell. By the time I was ready to liberate his more built up lands he got me to make a spell fast, used it to do crazy non-lethal damage from all the blight, and got the remaining fear cards just before I got to be the hero.

Yeah, this has become our favorite heavy coop of late. OTOH, we seem to be finding it hard to pick out the right difficulty.
So far I've been increasing the difficulty when I/we win but it must be trickier with more players.

Prince Facestab

Validated User
This is my favorite game. It just has such a good feel!

River is one of my favorite spirits as well, along with Green; both have a lot of control, and buff your fellows a lot. River does get the nice thing of spending the first part of the game in control, and then maxing their innate and causing massive damage. Ooh, and Ocean, especially when combined with River and/or Nightmares.

I have a lot of trouble getting Shadow to work, especially against certain adversaries. It feels like England 2 basically negates it. I also don't like how Lightning plays.

The people I play with are a bit more hesitant than me, so we haven't gone above adversary 2 in anything yet. Still, there's so much variety. Maybe I can encourage them to kick it up a notch soon...

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Unfortunately I just have played it once.I'm thinking about getting it, but maybe when it is released in Spanish later this year.

The one play was very interesting but I still need more experience to give a proper feeling. But it was nice... probably because we started in easy difficulty.

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Spirit Island is a fantastic game. In my experience turns tend to swing wildly from "oh god oh god we're all gonna die" to "how was this hard, we've got this in the bag." And it's very satisfying to wipe all those white explorers off the island.

Prince Facestab

Validated User
Spirit Island is a fantastic game. In my experience turns tend to swing wildly from "oh god oh god we're all gonna die" to "how was this hard, we've got this in the bag." And it's very satisfying to wipe all those white explorers off the island.
Yeah, that was a clever bit of game design. The Spirit presence, Dahan, and the rest of the board are all colored cardboard or rounded wood. They feel nice in your hand.

By contrast, the colonizers are white, plastic, and a bit spiky. They don't mesh with the other pieces. They feel different. The explorers sometimes stab you! It really is satisfying to get rid of them.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I beat Sweden lvl 4! Took me 4 tries, now I'll need to try again to see if I got lucky.

This is my favorite game. It just has such a good feel!

River is one of my favorite spirits as well, along with Green; both have a lot of control, and buff your fellows a lot. River does get the nice thing of spending the first part of the game in control, and then maxing their innate and causing massive damage. Ooh, and Ocean, especially when combined with River and/or Nightmares.

I have a lot of trouble getting Shadow to work, especially against certain adversaries. It feels like England 2 basically negates it. I also don't like how Lightning plays.

The people I play with are a bit more hesitant than me, so we haven't gone above adversary 2 in anything yet. Still, there's so much variety. Maybe I can encourage them to kick it up a notch soon...
I find Shadow tough as well, but the TTS mod has some cards that replace either his special ability or innate power. They're apparently from the playtesting of a upcoming expansion and are quite cool. My friend says England is the hardest adversary and they got stuck at lvl 3.

Yeah, that was a clever bit of game design. The Spirit presence, Dahan, and the rest of the board are all colored cardboard or rounded wood. They feel nice in your hand.

By contrast, the colonizers are white, plastic, and a bit spiky. They don't mesh with the other pieces. They feel different. The explorers sometimes stab you! It really is satisfying to get rid of them.
They're some kind of ugly yellow brown in the TTS mod I've been using :(.

Top Bottom