• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Spirit of the Century - Change the Century

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
Okay, characters don't get better over time. That is fine with me. We did some suggestions in the book for character advancement and they felt flat to me when we played. I suggest we ditch 'em.

You don't change your character, you change the world.

After every game (or after each arc, if you don't finish a pulp novel's worth of adventure per session), you see who spent the most Fate Points in the course of play. That player gets to add an aspect to the world.

This means that world aspects will quickly add up. But only a few are used in each game. At the beginning of each game, each player (GM included) can choose one world aspect that is in play in order to avoid ten world aspects just kind of falling on top of one another in a clutter.

World Aspects can be anything that is inspired from the game's play, from anti-vigilante laws in Gotham to flying cars become affordable to Gorilla City's first ambassador greets U.S. president. They work just like aspects.

Pulp characters do not change but dammit, at the gaming table, they should change the world.

Jim DelRosso

Magnificent Bastard
Validated User
This is very keen. I like how it doesn't mess up the "pick up and play with whoever showed up tonight" nature of SotC. If anything, letting the players present pick the World Aspects helps make that work even better.

Cool stuff.

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
This is very keen. I like how it doesn't mess up the "pick up and play with whoever showed up tonight" nature of SotC. If anything, letting the players present pick the World Aspects helps make that work even better.

Cool stuff.
Nope, you could even do hot-cross-over action. When Bret comes over to your place and we game with you and Charlotte, we can add Bret's world aspects that were created during his adventures entirely separate from you folks as choices on the menu.

In this exciting novel, towering high above the clouds is Murder Mountain! Can the Shadow, even teamed up with the intrepid G8 and his Battle Aces overcome the evil contained at its peak?!?

Jim DelRosso

Magnificent Bastard
Validated User
Nope, you could even do hot-cross-over action. When Bret comes over to your place and we game with you and Charlotte, we can add Bret's world aspects that were created during his adventures entirely separate from you folks as choices on the menu.

In this exciting novel, towering high above the clouds is Murder Mountain! Can the Shadow, even teamed up with the intrepid G8 and his Battle Aces overcome the evil contained at its peak?!?
And if we end up with two Presidents of the United States, then clearly we're in Alternate Universe territory. ;)

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
And if we end up with two Presidents of the United States, then clearly we're in Alternate Universe territory. ;)
Reminds me of Sandman's Prez story: "Which America are you from?"

You know that if one of those presidents is the two-fisted President, there is going to be a brawl.

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
I have to say that this is one of the most awesome ideas I've seen in a while. I think it would work really well for an Exalted-inspired game I'm thinking about.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
That could be very interesting. If I can manage to put together another FATE game, I might well try it out.

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Would it be worth the bookeeping to give aspects "reach" - local, regional, worldwide, kind of thing?

A gadgeteer that invents something that changes the world notably (computers come to mind as an example) might thus have to "grow" their aspect in terms of reach.

Or something. Not sure I'm quite hitting what I mean to.

Top Bottom